You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 52 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

52 Pickup - 1986

I can't believe it took me this long to see this. It's pure Tarantino. John Frankenheimer didn't put a lot of good films out in the 1980s, but man, this is basically French Connection meets Miami Vice. There's def a little cheese, and I think Roy Scheider was terribly miscast, but the vibe and the villains were outstanding. I really wish that they could re-edit by Tarantino with new music could turn this into a classic.

They don't have the balls to make this film today.

That film has one of my favorite endings.  And yeah the main villan played by John Glover was great.  Honestly, Sciender was a bit too clean to play the main guy.  Needed more sleaze.

Mirror, Mirror 1990 horror film.  Slow burner eventually gets interesting in the second half.  I did like some of the kills and even though it goes into the familiar high school setting I found it interesting.  The main actress Rainbow Harvest doesn't have a large discography (she quit after 1991) but she had a unique look.  Oh, the chick from the Aerosmith video "Janie's got a gun" plays the other main character.  In her imdb trivia or whatever it says she turned down the role of Brenda Walsh on 90210.  Oops.

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Ronin- Holy shit...I forgot how great this was. This really needed a sequel...Deniro and Reno had great chemistry.

One more thing...the film needed a better name marketed towards American audiences.


The Usual Suspects - What a ride. This is another in a long list of 90s I've been watching that I hadn't watched since release.

Kevin Spacey deserved all the praise he got for this. I read about it afterwards and both Micheal Biehn and Chris Cornell were handed key roles on a silver platter and both turned it down. Biehn immediately regretted the decision...it might have saved him from his permanent place in B movie hell.

This deserved a Keyser Soze sequel of some sort... although maybe not.



And Then I Go - Wow. This is what all those Columbine inspired films of the 2000s wished they could've been.

A realistic portrayal of two depressed, bullied teens trying to navigate their way through their personal hell.

The lead actor was amazing.

This deserved a bunch of awards. Can't believe I never heard of it... just randomly found it on Tubi. Movie sites won't shut up about the latest sterile and devoid of any soul superhero, action, and horror remakes to give any attention to such films.

Same with...

Just Charlie - You couldn't possibly do a movie about a teenage boy becoming trans and how it impacts his life any better than they did it here.

I'm actually surprised this didn't get a massive promo blitz and become Oscar bait.


The Ones Below -  This was really good but a better writer/director could've turned this into a total mindfuck of a story. They keep hitting you over the head with what's going to happen. It was frustrating. I almost turned it off but wanted to see exactly how they pulled it off.


White Lie - Another movie worthy of an Oscar nom. A Canadian woman fakes cancer so she can grift everyone and then it starts falling apart.

Only thing I hated about it is the ending. I went from being glued to the TV to cussing at it.  A movie of this caliber deserves more than what is essentially a non ending. The story needed real closure.


The Firm - Even though I love the Mission Impossible franchise, I miss this Tom Cruise.

I also miss this type of film.


The Fanatic - This got shit reviews but Travolta hit a home run with his performance here. He deserved a better story for the character...and the third act sucks top to bottom.

Needed a rewrite.


The Fly - Hadn't watched this in ages. Great story and the FX hold up. God I love Geena Davis. Kinda rediscovered her after watching The Long Kiss Goodnight.

She really deserved a better career. Maybe not better.. just a different trajectory.


Giant Little Ones - Two all American, white, middle class straight teens get intimate one night after getting wasted. It fucks up both their lives in different ways.

Very well done.


You're Not You - Hilary Swank playing a woman who gets ALS. I was pleasantly surprised but this feels like a Lifetime movie.

metallex78
 Rep: 192 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

metallex78 wrote:

Just watched Don’t Look Up on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyed it, DiCaprio was great, and the film scarily reflects the stupidity of our society with social media etc.

Highly recommended

misterID
 Rep: 473 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Is it like Dr. Strangelove?

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

52 Pickup - 1986

I can't believe it took me this long to see this. It's pure Tarantino. John Frankenheimer didn't put a lot of good films out in the 1980s, but man, this is basically French Connection meets Miami Vice. There's def a little cheese, and I think Roy Scheider was terribly miscast, but the vibe and the villains were outstanding. I really wish that they could re-edit by Tarantino with new music could turn this into a classic.

They don't have the balls to make this film today.

That film has one of my favorite endings.  And yeah the main villan played by John Glover was great.  Honestly, Sciender was a bit too clean to play the main guy.  Needed more sleaze.

Mirror, Mirror 1990 horror film.  Slow burner eventually gets interesting in the second half.  I did like some of the kills and even though it goes into the familiar high school setting I found it interesting.  The main actress Rainbow Harvest doesn't have a large discography (she quit after 1991) but she had a unique look.  Oh, the chick from the Aerosmith video "Janie's got a gun" plays the other main character.  In her imdb trivia or whatever it says she turned down the role of Brenda Walsh on 90210.  Oops.

I'll check that out.

I'm ashamed to say it, I just watched Thief (1980) by Michael Mann for the first time. Holy shit, that was incredible. Even Jim Belushi was on. Just perfect. I could see it being a prequel of sorts for HEAT. Had it starred Eastwood I could have seen it being a real sequel. Cann was great, though.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 134 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

metallex78 wrote:

Just watched Don’t Look Up on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyed it, DiCaprio was great, and the film scarily reflects the stupidity of our society with social media etc.

Highly recommended

I concur. Ending was a bit surprising but accurately reflects the current state of affairs.

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Escape from Alcatraz - This is nearly a perfect movie. Not a single wasted scene. It instantly gets down to business and doesn't let up.

It moves a few notches up my list of favorite Clint Eastwood movies.


The Hunt for Red October - Hadn't watched this in 30 years. God I hate the Baldwins ....but he's ok here. It's pretty good but some of the FX don't hold up. You can tell some of those torpedoes aren't real.

I miss Cold War era movies and books like this.

I'm still pissed that a movie of Storming Intrepid was never made.


21 - Kevin Spacey movie I finally got around to watching. While it was ok I can see why it got shitty reviews. For starters...none of these people are likeable. I really can't stand the main girl.

The ending sucked. It needed a better resolution.

misterID
 Rep: 473 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Kevin Costner really should have played in The Hunt For Red October. Man, he passed on so many great roles. Almost as bad as Mickey Rourke.

slashsfro
 Rep: 52 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Ronin- Holy shit...I forgot how great this was. This really needed a sequel...Deniro and Reno had great chemistry.

One more thing...the film needed a better name marketed towards American audiences.

This is one of my favorite movies.  I watch it at least once or twice a year.  So many great moments.   Deniro shooting a bazooka (or whatever it's called) out of a high speeding car,  the Sean Bean character and the coffee, the two car chase scenes.  Oh and most of the Eastern European villans don't give a fuck about anyone else which is sort of refreshing in a weird way.

misterID wrote:

I'm ashamed to say it, I just watched Thief (1980) by Michael Mann for the first time. Holy shit, that was incredible. Even Jim Belushi was on. Just perfect. I could see it being a prequel of sorts for HEAT. Had it starred Eastwood I could have seen it being a real sequel. Cann was great, though.

This is def a spiritual cousin to Heat.  The convo in the diner in Thief is similarish to the one in Heat.  This one is a little grittier and honestly a little better to look at.  Just better neo noir landscape and just the way it's shot.  The film is a really good character piece.  Cann wants to get out of the "life" but he just can't help himself.  And no matter how hard he tries he's still a thief and thug at heart (the scene at the adoption agency or whatever is a great example).  I think the Deniro is better adapted for a "normal life"  and he can blend in seamlessly whereas there's always going to be a rough edge for the Cann character.

James wrote:

Escape from Alcatraz - This is nearly a perfect movie. Not a single wasted scene. It instantly gets down to business and doesn't let up.

It moves a few notches up my list of favorite Clint Eastwood movies.


The Hunt for Red October - Hadn't watched this in 30 years. God I hate the Baldwins ....but he's ok here. It's pretty good but some of the FX don't hold up. You can tell some of those torpedoes aren't real.

I miss Cold War era movies and books like this.

I'm still pissed that a movie of Storming Intrepid was never made.

Yeah, the Alcatraz movie with Eastwood was great.  A shame it never really gets mentioned with the great Eastwood films he stars in.

I remember Hunt for Connery and not Baldwin at all.  I just don't think Alec was leading man material or whatnot.

Speaking of the Baldwins: watched Vampires (1998).  It's kind of a goofy picture.  There's are some nice action sequences and James Woods is his usual wiseass self.  The plot is sort of interesting and I kinda wished they elaborated more on it. It's one of those movies put on and watch and don't worry about missing anything or it's a moving or deep pic.
Oh something I didn't realize, but Sheryl Lee is hot in this.  I think she was more attractive here than in Twin Peaks.

misterID
 Rep: 473 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Haha, I watched vampires as a kid specifically for that Sheryl Lee ass scene

James
 Rep: 648 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Kevin Costner really should have played in The Hunt For Red October. Man, he passed on so many great roles. Almost as bad as Mickey Rourke.

Speaking of Costner, I watched No Way Out before I went to bed. Not for him but for Sean Young. She crossed my mind so I looked her up on Prime. Chose No Way Out.

I forgot this was the movie that turned Costner into a major star....and it's also right before Sean's career goes into a tailspin.

It was alright. It takes too long to get things really moving (about 40-45 minutes), and I think the murder should've revolved around something more than just domestic violence.

The twist blew me away. I had forgot about that.

Iman had a small role in this. I forgot how hot she was back then.

I miss the 80s-90s supermodels.


Harrison Ford also passed on Red October.

They should've offered him(or Costner) more or just stuck with Baldwin. Having a different actor always play Jack Ryan was lame.


I just don't think Alec was leading man material or whatnot.

He wasn't. Neither were his brothers.

Any time a Baldwin appears in a movie, it lowers the chances of me ever watching it.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB