You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Sudden Impact - This movie goes way too far. They have essentially turned Dirty Harry into a serial killer with a badge. It's ridiculous. It's like blending a serial killer with a cop and Rambo.

In between actually doing his job, he goes from killing a gang of robbers in a diner to killing Mob assassins.  What makes it even more ridiculous is how half the murders in the film are played for laughs because he's on vacation/leave when they happen.

The main plot... Sondra Locke as a rape victim who goes after her rapists...isnt bad. It doesn't stick to it though as Harry always has to murder people on the side.

If Dirty Harry could have been a video game, its Sudden Impact.

I love Sondra Locke. It's unfortunate that Clint had her blacklisted after they broke up.

Primal Fear - This could've been so much better had it went in a different direction than multiple personalities.

Courage Under Fire - First time watching this. I can't stand Meg Ryan...thank God for this role being fairly small for a main character. She's not likeable here at all...in any of the versions of the story told.

The story is solid but when you don't sympathize with the dead character the story revolves around getting a Medal of Honor... you've got problems.

How in the hell is Matt Damon in this? I would've swore that Saving Private Ryan was his feature film debut. Was it just marketed that way even though it wasn't true?

It really threw me for a loop seeing him.

Edit

I would've been on Lou Diamond Phillips side in the standoff with Ryan. She's putting all their lives at risk because she can't keep her shit together on the battlefield.

Molly - I couldn't finish it. It's about an autistic/retarded girl who has to move in with her brother. Elizabeth Shue is not convincing in the role. I had a feeling she was hoping this would get her another Oscar mom.

It just doesn't work.

I think Winona Ryder could've nailed this role.

James

James wrote:

Magnum Force - Still one of my all time favorite Clint movies. I do wish I had watched these in order. I'll finish the series this week.

Bowfinger - Hella funny...might be the best comedy of the late 90s.

Cop Land - What an amazing cast. Stallone needed more roles like this. He doesn't always have to be a Rambo type figure.

James

James wrote:

Coal Miner's Daughter - Hadn't watched this since the 80s. Wow...Spacek hits a grand slam here earning the well deserved Oscar.

This made me interested in watching one of her other films during her prime not named Carrie...

Missing - This was incredible...great chemistry between Lemmon and Spacek. I loved the subtle humor flowing underneath an otherwise serious movie...most coming from Spacek's character when she starts bitching at Lemmon and the authorities.

An Innocent Man - I really liked this when it came out... watching it now I place it in that 'Lifetime movie before there were Lifetime movies' category. At best it's straight to VHS or HBO quality at best. Didn't belong on the big screen.

This was that brief period when Tom Selleck tried to become a major movie star... Quigley Down Under followed this a year later.

It must suck(and probably more so then) knowing he could've been Indiana Jones but he passed it up for Magnum PI.

Honkey Tonk Man - This moved up my list a few notches. This one is rarely talked about today. Clint firing on all cylinders here...also liked how he would sing the songs himself. His son did a pretty good job in this movie as well.

3:10 to Yuma - This was good but it feels like an action movie disguised as a western.

It was a double feature with...

The Assassination of Jesse James - This is one of those roles/movies where I don't think it was a good fit for Pitt. It just doesn't work for some reason...and at one point in the movie he has the same look on his face as he did  as Mills in Se7en. I rolled my eyes at that.

It's serviceable...and Affleck pretty much steals the movie...just wasn't as good as I thought it was when watching it fifteen years ago.

James

James wrote:

Silkwood - This was a slog to get through.

Mask - Stoltz should've won the Oscar for this. Laura Dern was also amazing as the blind girl he meets at summer camp.

The Gauntlet - Another Clint movie that moves up my list. Sandra Locke always got shit...and so did he for casting her in a lot of his movies in this period but I think they work well together.

I'm gonna finish up the Clint-Sondra movies this weekend...not looking forward to those movies with the monkeys.

May watch Outlaw Josey Wales tonight.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Following Lofton's review here, I finally checked out Cop Land.  What a film.  Great cast.  Patrick is excellent as one of the corruptish cops.  I can't stand Michael Rappaport and even he is great here.  I almost wish Stallone took more chances (guess he sort of did those comedies he did in the late 80s-90s) and did stuff like this.  I'm almost tempted to go rewatch Assasins.

Kill Me Again: the first of John Dahl's Neo Noirs of the 90s.  And this one is the weakest but it's still pretty good.  Set in the Southwest.  I think one of the weakness is that Joanne Whalley (Val Kilmer's wife at the time) isn't very good.  I think she's ok.  But someone else would have played the femme fatale role better (side note:  Fiorentino killed that role in The Last Seduction and won an Oscar).  Still it's fun watching Val as the schmuck lawyer who gets sucked in and Michael Madsen as the menacing dude.

Scorpio 70s conspiracy thriller starring Burt Lancaster and Paul Schofield.  This one is  sort of a guilty pleasure I watch.  The plot is solid, not great.  The part about the CIA agents being replaced by machines (the Cold War warriors  getting pushed out to pasture) was accurate.  Side note:  There is one scene that is set at an 70s old school Safeway.  I used to live near one of those, so whenever I watch this I get a nice flashback down memory lane.

Hard Boiled: the last of Chow Yun Fat and John Woo HK collaboration.  Honestly, I think this one is overrated.  The story is sort of absurd and really just a set up for the gonzo action sequences.  And it does deliver on that aspect.  You want bullets, corpses, gun play?  This one has a ton of it.  I think it runs too long too.  But it probably does have the best soundtrack of the Woo/Fat films.

I may follow Lofton's suggestion and watch some Clint film, maybe a western like Joe Kidd, High Plains Drifter, The Beguiled or Coogan's BLuff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I still need to watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Ashamed to I say I had no idea Michael Cimino wrote and directed this, and it was how he got Deer Hunter made. One of the rare times Eastwood allowed a first time director to film him.

Really been putting off Heaven’s Gate. It’s supposed to be terrible but everyone swears the 4 hour version is a masterpiece.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Guilty pleasure: Color of Night. Total B erotic thriller that deserved to go straight to Cinemax but had a huge budget. It had a FANTASTIC cast. And Jane March was so goddamn hot. I went to theater to see this, and it is not comfortable watching a sex film with your sister and a bunch of strangers. I remember when this came out, Bruce Willis was pissed because they cut his wang out of the final cut.

James

James wrote:

There is one scene that is set at an 70s old school Safeway.  I used to live near one of those, so whenever I watch this I get a nice flashback down memory lane.

I love seeing these too. In a couple episodes of Gomer Pyle, there's scenes right next to Safeway. Must have had a deal with them...a few times the products they're using are the old Safeway brand Cragmont.

Cragmont's Skipper was better than Dr Pepper. Their cola was amazing too.

I miss legitimate store brands.

The old Safeway in both Turlock and Modesto had that same look. It was sad when they tore them down.

Guilty pleasure: Color of Night

I should add this to my list. It belongs there...haven't watched it since renting it in 95.

still need to watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

Me too.

It's on all the free movie apps...the only Clint Eastwood movie that stays on them.

The Outlaw Josey Wales - I waited way too long to watch this. It's now my second favorite western behind Unforgiven. It has a really great story and I love the quirky group of people he travels with... especially that Indian.

Death Sentence - This is essentially a Death Wish remake starring Kevin Bacon. It's serviceable but I don't like how he goes from not ever using a gun to becoming Rambo five minutes later.

Nebraska - This was amazing...one of the best movies of the past decade. Never a big Bruce Dern fan but he hits a home run here.

I wish Clint could have wrapped up his career with something on this level.

My Bodyguard - Nostalgia fuel.

I didn't like it as much as I did in my youth. The first 10 minutes are garbage...it should start as he's arriving at school. It's a sign of things to come because all the scenes with the adults (his family) kill the flow of the story.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Oh man, you guys gotta watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.  It works as both a heist film, buddy picture, mentor/student picture as well as a look at small town Americana during the early 70s.  Oh wait there's also an age/culture clash between the WWII greatest generation vs flower power generation.

Watched Havana w/Redford and Olin.  Watchable and decent but nothing more.  I'd like to give it a higher recommendation since it's well made and Redford is fabulous in it .   But I can't since the Olin character Roberta doesn't seem like she's in love with Jack (redford's character) as much as he is with her.  And that's a big deal since it's a central part of the story.  This is sort of a variation on the old Casablanca movie.  I have to admit I enjoyed the scenes with Redford and Alan Arkin (who's basically playing the Louis character here).

James

James wrote:

Oh man, you guys gotta watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

I'm gonna have this be my Clint pick of the night.

Board footer