You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Blow Out--DePalma's best film, imo

I swear...I almost watched this last night. While deciding, I watched YouTube trailers of Blow Out, The Hand, and Dressed To Kill.

Maybe I'll watch one of those tonight.

I wound up watching a movie I've been putting off for a month or so...

The Eiger Sanction - I still liked it but it definitely moves down a few notches on my favorite Clint movies list.... Alcatraz took its spot.

Anyways....I know it's the 70s but Jesus Christ...bulk up for the role. There's a scene where he's fighting a woman in bed and he's so thin you can see his ribs.

First thing I thought when seeing that.... cocaine addict.

They also made the plot way too ridiculous with double crossing agents and chemical weapons....and you realize how unnecessary it was when the viewer finds out halfway through the climb that it was an elaborate set up.

Keep it simple.

It's a beautiful film though....love the scenes where he's in training at that resort.

True Believer - This is my favorite James Woods and Robert Downey Jr. movie. Still holds up. Brought back memories of watching this on weekends on HBO when spending the night with my aunt. I hadn't watched it since those days.

It didn't deserve to bomb. This should've gotten a rerelease when Downey got massive in the 2000s.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Nesting Dolls - This movie came awfully close to becoming a movie of the decade contender for me. It's about a group of three sorority girls who go to a vacation house and two of them play a prank on the other and it goes horribly wrong.

I read reviews after watching it and the main problem people had was how they react in the aftermath of the prank. That didn't bother me...people will have all sorts of reactions in a disaster.

What bothered me is how they drag it out and it runs in place too long in the middle of the film. I think it could've also been improved by telling more about the girls before they went on this vacation.

The ending...a bit of a twist...was a cop out...an easy way out of the mess they found themselves in.

I also loved the way the film looks.... especially the scenes out by the water.

I'm calling it now....the actress who played Tori has loads of potential and will move on to much better things. Not in the A list category like Bullock-Roberts but more like another Tilda Swinton or Collette.

Here's the trailer...it's currently on Amazon and Tubi...

I watched this yesterday on tubi and have similar thoughts.  For about an hour there it was a really good psychological thriller.  You have the three girls who have all different agendas/thought processes.  Emily=survive and escape, Tori=plan about what to do (or more or less figure out a way to kill Emily and cover it up).   Britt=stuck between an accomplice/ and doing the right thing (freeing the friend).  Right after they bring back Emily, the movie hits a skid and just sort of sits there and doesn't really know where to go.  It kinda meanders until the ending to be honest.    I kinda found it unbelievable that Tori who is the smartest of the three still hadn't found any solution to the situation.

I did find it weird how the two girls were kinda wishy washy (film didn't really address this though) on the burial aspects/scenes.  That part I found kinda confusing.

James wrote:

The Eiger Sanction - I still liked it but it definitely moves down a few notches on my favorite Clint movies list.... Alcatraz took its spot.

Anyways....I know it's the 70s but Jesus Christ...bulk up for the role. There's a scene where he's fighting a woman in bed and he's so thin you can see his ribs.

First thing I thought when seeing that.... cocaine addict.

They also made the plot way too ridiculous with double crossing agents and chemical weapons....and you realize how unnecessary it was when the viewer finds out halfway through the climb that it was an elaborate set up.

Keep it simple.

It's a beautiful film though....love the scenes where he's in training at that resort.

It's difficult for me to criticize this but I really like the first half of this film.  Right when they go up the mountain/climb, it loses me.  I don't know why maybe it's the overplotting. But it loses most of the energy in the second half, for me anyway.  I've seen this movie several times and always come to that same conclusion.

James

James wrote:

Yeah the mountain sequence is lacking any genuine action...and it should've went into high gear the moment you find out the whole thing was a set up.

Eastwood did his own stunts in this film....this is probably why very little happens up there.

I didn't really like how it's open on whether or not he somehow intentionally caused all of them to fall off the mountain. Obviously he did...but show it.

Nesting Dolls - Yeah too much is left out.... you're right about the lead up to trying to bury her.  It just goes from "Oops she's dead!" to dragging her outside.

I did like how other than the old man coming over and of course the ending, no guys are brought into the equation. As I was watching it I thought one of their boyfriends would come over and complicate things. They could have easily took it in that direction.

I kinda found it unbelievable that Tori who is the smartest of the three still hadn't found any solution to the situation.

Yeah it needed a rewrite. She'd know fairly quickly that you either come clean or kill one or both friends.

There should've been more communication between the two.... stewing in your own juices in different areas of the house does not make for riveting viewing.  16

Blood On Her Name - A Tubi recommendation that only had 1 day left before being dropped.

It had Elizabeth Rohm....who I hadn't seen in anything since Law & Order.

It got killer reviews but I didn't really like it. It felt like a B movie...and not in a good way. Hated the ending too.

Instead of another movie I watched a handful of the 'Lost' episodes of The Honeymooners.

James

James wrote:

Videodrome - For the love of God do a remake of this and instead of TV it's smartphones and the internet/social media.

I'd also prefer a more cohesive story instead of dazzling us with amazing FX....which still hold up by the way.

I had forgot Blondie was in this. Maybe have Lady GaGa be in the remake.

The French Connection - I liked it... especially early 70s NYC...but I'm surprised this won Best Actor/Picture Oscars. Must have been a lean year movie wise.

A History of Violence - This is pretty good but I think they leaned a bit too hard into the double personalities thing and I didn't like how the issues between him and his wife weren't resolved at the end.

James

James wrote:

The Contender - This flew under my radar for 20 years. I loved it...until about 2/3 of the way through it. I then realized it was a waste of time.

If you're gonna go balls to the wall on female sex scandal to the point of pulling trains, I have only one thing to say.....

Own it.

Don't rub our nose in it, and how she's above explaining it, and then pull back at the last minute to where none of it even happened.

The perfect Hollywood ending wasn't necessary.

This has an amazing cast.

Chloe - This is a really wacky story....wife pays prostitute to flirt with her husband to see if he'll screw around...and she becomes obsessed with her.

Amanda Seyfried does a great job as the crazy girl. She's one of those actors I've seen talked about over the years but never watch anything she's in.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

“Chloe” sounds like it was inspired by the Kate Bush song “Babushka.”

Just saw “Idiocracy” recently. The concept is, what will happen in the future when so many educated people nowadays delay or avoid having kids for the sake of their careers?

Apparently the studio tried to bury it because it made fun of major companies like Costco (shown to have city-sized stores 500 years from now) and Starbucks (which in the future gives handjobs when you buy a coffee). Really clever and funny film.

James

James wrote:

In The Line of Fire - Yeah you guys were right...other than Unforgiven as his masterpiece, this is his 90s peak. Even Rene Russo is tolerable here.

Watcher - This will probably be movie of the year in my world... although obviously I don't watch many new movies.

Since it's brand spanking new I won't spoil anything. Here's the trailer....

Brighton Beach Memoirs - I had forgot how amazing this is. I miss movies like this. It's hella funny.... especially when Johnathan Silverman is obsessed with sex and keeps pestering his brother.

Everyone jerks off!

Even President Roosevelt?!?

I laughed for like five minutes at that.

I might watch its sequel Biloxi Blues tonight.

James

James wrote:

Biloxi Blues - While it's pretty good and Broderick is serviceable in the role, I would've preferred Johnathan Silverman to have come back as Eugene.

This didn't bother me back in the day though...I assume it's because I watched them back to back.

Blow Out - Yeah....this is Travolta's shining moment. You can see why Quentin wanted him to make a comeback 15 years later.

I didn't remember the woman getting murdered at the end...that was a surprise.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Watcher - This will probably be movie of the year in my world... although obviously I don't watch many new movies.

Since it's brand spanking new I won't spoil anything. Here's the trailer....

Saw this since I needed a 70s movie break.  Pretty good.  I was legit scared at least 3 times during the film (the cinema part,  when the main character is waiting for the elevator, and the part where she's waiting for a train at the end).  It works psychologically too.  You can see her withdraw from the world as she stays home all alone.   I think this does a good job of witholding the identity of one of the main characters until the right moment. 

Oh the ending is pretty good.  It's a little surprising but not in a twisty way where it makes zero sense.  But it does make sense if you've been paying attention.  I'd say more but I don't want to spoil it.  Oh, I've never really wanted to visit Bucharest but this movie makes that city a little more appealing.

Sorcerer.  Since Lofton watched French Connection , I'd thought I'd give this one another look.  This is a "deep cut" film.  It's also easy to see why this tanked at the box office.  Zero stars (sorry Roy you ain't putting asses in the cinema).  A really misleading title.  This is just a difficult film that would appeal to the masses.  I mean on the surface it seems pretty simple.  Truck mission to transport explosives BUT the characters are ALL criminals.  And there's this existential angst that exists along with the man vs nature theme.  Ok enough trashing.  This is a beautiful film (some of tree/grass/foliage just pops out onto the screen) and there is this strength where you end up rooting for these guys to suceed.  Some of the scenes in this are pretty insane.  Oh, this must have been a bitch to film.   Anyway, I think it's probably more enjoyable than French Connection to me but not as much as To Live and Die in LA.

Across 110th Street.  70s crime film that I really liked on a second viewing.  There's a lot of stuff here.  Like the old school Anthony Quinn cop butting heads with the more modern detective played by Yaphett Kotto.  And there's the entire bleakness of poverty.  And of course what crime film is complete without a look at the one character who pulls all the strings and is really in control of everything.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Man, I really need to watch Sorcerer

Board footer