You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl Rose Speaks to Billboard

Sky Dog wrote:
downliner wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

again no worse than Izzy said..

The Mick Wall interview sticks out like a sore thumb being the only interview where Izzy attacks Axl. Read Izzys other interviews from the same time period (2001) and his responses to GNR questions are lighthearted. Makes me question whether the Mick Wall interview, usually the interview that fans reference, was purposely slanted to make Axl look worse.

Just found an interesting tidbit from another '01 interview :-

Guitar & Bass Magazine wrote:

Q: Didn't you listen to something of new Guns N' Roses?

Izzy: No, I just saw a report on them in Q, in England. There was a photograph where Axl was not really to his advantage, he was large and puffed up. I hope he sounds better than he looks. Axl called me when he had the plan to play Rock In Rio. I don't believe that he hoped to reform the group as a whole because I am the only one that he called, but, in any event, I declined the offer. Maybe he estimated that his group was not good enough, all the same they had rather positive reviews on the whole. Axl is really a special type, he's [just] too hard to manage.

That could have been to take Huge's place, isn't it documented that he hated live shows? Wonder if Izzy was first choice over Fortus after Huge was gone.

wow...never read that...nice to know and Karma....can't imagine why this isn't a topic of conversation. neutral

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

WHOA, ding ding ding, big time find that flew under the radar. Axl wanted Izzy to rejoin at the turn of the decade. WOW.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I took it like Slash thought he was going to change clothes *Axl changed fucking clothes ALOT on that tour

He was then told he cut his hand, so he corrected it and told the crowd that Axl cut his hand

I see nothing wrong with that.

Axl oversensitive again

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bullshit dude.

Do you understand tone or inflection or sarcasm in the human voice?

The fuckin' guy was being a sarcastic, passive-aggressive asshole. I'm not dragging him down, it is what it is. Sometimes i'm a sarcastic asshole (rarely passive-aggressive). But at least I know when i'm doing it.

Slash had been overly critical, even talked shit (which was known then), then when the guy cuts his hand, he starts taking obvious jabs when he's backstage, and then when Axl has the guts to call him down on it, he suddenly starts back peddlin'.

He meant both of those comments to be sarcastic & passive-aggressive. It's obvious.

Axl can be a dick too, but lets not sit back and start looking at evidence in favor of the man's current attitude, and start saying Slash didn't instigate it. Obviously Axl didn't understand Slash, or Slash didn't want to be understood. Even in Slash's own book, he gave Axl a STRAIGHT JACKET for a birthday present. Whether Slash was being funny or not, Axl saw them as passive-aggressive behavior, from a pussy with something on his mind, and no guts to say it. And I tend to agree with him.

I'm not robbing Slash of his feelings. Just call a spade a spade (pardon the expression).

-D-

-D- wrote:

Yeah, all the GNR dudes were pretty spineless BUT, Axl changed fucking clothes 3 times during Civil War! LOL So maybe he really thought Axl was changing clothes and maybe he was just against the direction GNR was headed

So u tell me

Slash is the sell out for being against the big band, the horns, the wardrobe changes, the turn to electronica and nothing but ballad music?

To me, Slash quitting the band, shows he has some pretty big time integrity. Cause if he was a sell out cash grab, he would've just stayed in GNR and made way more money than he has made not being in GNR.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah, all the GNR dudes were pretty spineless BUT, Axl changed fucking clothes 3 times during Civil War! LOL So maybe he really thought Axl was changing clothes and maybe he was just against the direction GNR was headed

So u tell me

Slash is the sell out for being against the big band, the horns, the wardrobe changes, the turn to electronica and nothing but ballad music?

To me, Slash quitting the band, shows he has some pretty big time integrity. Cause if he was a sell out cash grab, he would've just stayed in GNR and made way more money than he has made not being in GNR.

Where did 'selling out' come into the picture? You're kinda jumping ship here.  We'll file this argument under Red Herring and call it good. 16 

That's a pretty weak argument.  You contradict your first point with your second part, not to mention the sales figures of a post-Slash GNR versus when he was in the band are much lower, the argument doesn't hold up. 

Slash isn't a sell out for either of his solo albums or either VR album.  He's just in his comfort zone and doesn't really expand too far out of it.  Musically, there's really not much selling out going on.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I don't know if there is more hate between Axl and Slash or Axl fans and Slash fans. I am gonna call it down the middle when I say all bullshit aside they need each other. Robin Finck no matter how many crown of thorns are placed on his head by fans couldn't cut it. A dude like Buckethead can't survive in a band like this. (Not due to lack of talent) Ron is a great dude and I have nothing bad to say. I enjoy his playing. But Axl with no Slash is a cock with no balls.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Its like in the early 80's, Joe Perry left Aerosmith and later Brad Whitford. Sure they still played the Aerosmith classics and it was still Tyler singing, but no one gave a shit.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The new GNR sound was grounded in Robin's playing. I don't count what he did on the old bands music, because it wasn't his. But he was fucking tight on the new shit. You can't take that away from him. I think a lot of people are judging him too much on his playing of AFD material.

Slash would not fit in with the new band. Robin did. And he was fantastic.

And if I remember right, wasn't it Slash and Duff who were the ones who wanted the background singers, horns and Teddy Zig-Zag?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

No, you are wrong. Axl wanted it, but Slash put it together. Another example of how hard it was for Axl to work with Slash. That curly-haired guy sabotaged all his great plans.

Board footer