You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Hobbit Movie

Neemo wrote:

i cant wait for this fucking movie! this book is among my all time favorites! anyway i found this faq thought i'd post some of it here big_smile

Will The Hobbit be filmed as a single movie?
From everything PJ and GDT have said so far, we expect that The Hobbit will be a stand-alone movie. However, until the screenplays for both movies are written, GDT is keeping his options open: “At this stage we are all finding out things- I believe, at the moment, that “The Hobbit” is better contained in a single film and kept brisk and fluid with no artificial “break point” but that too may change.”

What will be in the second movie?
If The Hobbit does comprise the first film (see question 1.1), the second movie will cover some of the events in Middle-earth during the 60 years between the end of The Hobbit, when Bilbo returns to Bag End in the year 2941 of the Third Age, and the Long Expected Party that opens The Fellowship of the Ring, in the year 3001 of the Third Age. According to PJ: “At this stage, we’re not imagining a film that literally covers 60 years, like a bio-pic or documentary. We would figure out what happens during that 60 years, and choose one short section of time to drop in and dramatise for the screen.”

Possible events that could be included:

- Sauron returns to Mordor
- Gollum ventures from the Misty Mountains in search of Bilbo and ends up in Mordor
- Aragorn and Arwen meet
- Aragorn and Galdalf meet
- A young Aragorn leaves Rivendell and travels south to fight for Rohan and Gondor under the alias of Thorongil
- The Dwarves, led by Balin, re-inhabit Moria

There has also been mention of taking one character, such as Aragorn or Gandalf, and following their story-line over the 60 year time-frame. Essentially, the film rights include anything from the text or appendices of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. What definitely will not be included in either movie are events or characters from Tolkien’s other works including The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth series.

What are the movie release dates?
According to PJ: “The plan is to write for the rest of this year and start early conceptual designs. 2009 will be dedicated to pre-production on both movies and 2010 will be the year we shoot both films back to back. Post-production follows, one film at a time, with The Hobbit being released December 2011 and F2 December 2012.” Of course, December of 2011 will mark the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, a date that isn’t lost on fans of PJs original movies, but one that seems to have only recently occured to PJ (from the May 24, 2008 chat): “this is the first time I have actually thought about it … that is nice I will claim credit for the idea from this day forward.”

Will both movies be filmed at the same time like they did with LOTR?
Yes, both The Hobbit and the second movie will be filmed at the same time. This will help maintain continuity for both films and ensure the actors are available for the entire filming process.

Where will the movies be filmed?
The films will be made in New Zealand, the same as the Lord of the Rings movies. GDT already has plans to move to New Zealand for several years. Some of the same sets will be used (e.g., Hobbiton) and others will be added. Per GDT: “the first stages of design and R&D will be done with me going back and fourth from LA and New Zealand because there are a lot of things I need to put to bed before I finally move to New Zealand. I’m going much sooner than my relatives would like! We will officially be doing a lot of prep on ‘The Hobbit’ this summer, there is so much to do, its amazing. Just the reforestation of The Shire, re planting all those trees and plants will take months, and we’re going to be as exact as possible.”

What LOTR actors, if any, will return for the films?
Both PJ and GDT have indicated that they will recruit as many cast members from the LOTR movies as the story and the actors’ schedules allow. Actors that are already confirmed to be returning include Sir Ian McKellen who will reprise his role as Gandalf, and Andy Serkis who will play Gollum. Per PJ: “You can read “The Hobbit” and pretty much see which characters play a part. The unknown factor is Film Two, which we are still developing. If we wished to write one of the LOTR characters into the narrative of Film Two, we would only do that with that actors blessing, and willingess to take part. Otherwise we’d take the writing in another direction.”

Will Howard Shore be the composer?
Yes! PJ, Del Toro and Howard Shore himself have all confirmed that he will return to do the Score for The Hobbit and the second film. According to Shore he has been working on ideas since filming of The Two Towers. Per Del Toro: “Shore is the VOICE of these films and will absolutely be invited back. Peter and Fran have talked to him a couple of times already and I’ve exchanged emails about the subject. He will return.”

Will Weta be doing the special effects?
Yes. Weta Digital will be the primary special effects firm doing effects for the movies, and Weta Workshop will once again be designing the armour and weapons.

Will there be talking animals in The Hobbit?
Guillermo has indicated that he will remain true to the text and that animals will talk in the movies: “I think it should be done exactly as in the book- the “talking beast” motif has to exist already to allow for that great character that is Smaug. It is far more jarring to have a linear movie and then – out of the blue – a talking Dragon.”

How will they handle Smaug?
Guillermo del Toro has spoken extensively on how he plans on handling Smaug. Some of his most in-depth comments come from right here on TORn: “Smaug should not be “the Dragon in the Hobbit movie” as if it was just “another” creature in a Bestiary. Smaug should be “The DRAGON” for all movies past and present. The shadow he cast and the greed he comes to embody- the “need to own” casts its long shadow and creates a thematic / dramatic continuity of sorts that articulates the story throughout.”

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/hobbitfaq/

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

its so cool that Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are going return

if hugo weaving and ian holm return that would be cool as fuck 9

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I am going to freakin' shoot my wad at this movie. I love the book.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I am going to freakin' shoot my wad at this movie. I love the book.

Fucking agreed!

I will be there at midnight to see this in 2011! 9

I am so glad Peter is back as the director.  He will do the book justice.  And i'm loving the idea of a second movie as well.  That could be good with Balin going back to Moria.  9:mosh::mosh:

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

oh yes... me and the warden are fucking salivating over these movies...
and the more people involved from LOTR.. the better

AtariLegend wrote:

[youtube]XC73PHdQX04&eurl=[/youtube]

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

That's disturbing. Man, the 60s were fucked from every which way.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Guillermo del Toro has also agreed to update TheOneRing.net when he can and get involved with the forum, he has already done a Q&A session with the fans in a chat room.

Thank fuck GDT is in control and not PJ, I couldnt bare anymore of him fucking up characters and the story so he can squeeze in another action scene.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

That's disturbing. Man, the 60s were fucked from every which way.

16 that song sure sticks in your head though

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Found this the other day and it raised a chuckle smile

Board footer