You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: New AIC Album Sept 29

Gunslinger wrote:
James wrote:

No Layne=No Alice in Chains. That's how I feel, and I'm sticking to it. I'll of course give this a listen, but they really should have changed the name.

I think Cantrell should have got together with people like Cornell, Anne Wilson, Ament, etc. and paid tribute to Layne with one killer album by a bunch of the grunge alumni instead of continuing Alice In Chains.

Totally agree.  I'll give it a listen but it is NOT Alice In Chains without Layne.

Duff saying it is the best album in a decade?? Ok...lol

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
James wrote:

No Layne=No Alice in Chains. That's how I feel, and I'm sticking to it. I'll of course give this a listen, but they really should have changed the name.

I think Cantrell should have got together with people like Cornell, Anne Wilson, Ament, etc. and paid tribute to Layne with one killer album by a bunch of the grunge alumni instead of continuing Alice In Chains.

Totally agree.  I'll give it a listen but it is NOT Alice In Chains without Layne.

Duff saying it is the best album in a decade?? Ok...lol

They really should have dropped the AIC banner.  Now, with keeping the AIC name, they have set for themselves (mainly their new singer) an impossible set of expectations.  It won't be an AIC album without Layne. 

It'd be like GNR without Axl's sound.  There's something unique about the way both singers sound and the bands became connected with those sounds.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Many other bands have lost their frontman and continued on to success without him - ACDC being the prime example. Hell Van Halen was huge even after the iconic DLR left. He was very much a signature part of how that band sounded.

In a very similar vane as GNR, many people will not give this music a chance. They will immediately discredit it because they feel that the remaining members of the band aren't allowed to use the name because they feel some sort of sentimentality towards what Layne meant to them. Honesty, that is not fair to Jerry, Mike, and Sean.

I get it. Layne was your voice in some dark times and his loss hurt you. I bet it feels like your girlfriend is cheating on you by having them carry on with a new singer...get over it. You are not in the band. Allow the members of the band to do as they please with THEIR band.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I don't have a problem with the name staying. They waited several years, do a tribute to him in concert, and Cantrell has always been the writing force. I miss Layne but I won't pretend that AIC's catalogue is untouchable. I see no reason why a new album can't compare to Tripod, or even Facelift (to me, I realize many hold that album as sacred).

Even if this was just a Cantrell solo album with Inez and Kinney in the rhythm section, I'd be excited. With another singer, with the name, it justs adds to the hopes. I've heard they are amazing live and keeping AIC relevant is important.

When Blind Melon reformed with Travis Warren, yeah it wasn't great, and the music didn't hold up to the old, but it made people think about Melon and hear the old songs in concert. It brought Shannon back to life in a way. Reminding people of good music is important and Layne seems to be nearly forgotten.

If the new album is good, or if it makes someone pick up a copy of 'Dirt' or 'Jar of Flies', then it was a good idea.

nugdafied wrote:

I wish I could be as naive as some of you. The only reason the name AIC is being used is for money. Layne's parents want the money, Jerry's solo career went nowhere, so he wants the money, etc, etc..........It's lame no matter what excuse you try to use to justify it. I thought Jerry Cantrell was better than this.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

People aren't dumb. AIC's fan-base and any casual fans KNOW THAT LAYNE IS DEAD. If its that big of a deal, they won't go to the concert or buy the album. The monetary value that they may get out of the name will be insignificant.

Furthermore, what difference does it make if its for the money? None of us will ever know for sure, so we're left to speculate. My speculation leads me to believe that three people wanted to continue making music in THEIR band and felt it was right. If I'm naive, so what.

I'm no lawyer, but if Layne's parents want the money, how does AIC reforming keep money away from them? I highly doubt that Jerry, Mike, and Sean said "oh shit Layne's parents want money...we better go tour for year, then spend a year making an album, then go on tour again." I mean...wtf?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

let's not knock it till we've heard it... i for one am giving this kid a chance...

it may be about money....but if it truly were.. they would just keep touring... nobody sells records these days... it'll be dedicated TO layne... from what i understand this duvall kid puts out the same vibe vocally... i know it'll never be the same.. and they prob shouldn't have called it AIC... but shit... we've seen it all a thousand times with a thousand bands... axl runs around with a collection of random fucking musicians and calls it guns n' roses....we've accepted that...lynyrd skynyrd anyone?..... how about david gilmour running around without roger waters and syd barrett and calling that shit pink floyd?

these aren't obscure musicians that were once in the band... these are VITAL pieces of what made that band tick the way it did....

if izzy, steven adler, slash and duff made a record with some guy that could pull off that classic gnr vibe vocally... and they called it Guns N' Roses... hats off to them...i betcha it'd be pretty fucking good too....

i don't think it's fair to them (aic).... they lost a lot of productive and fruitful years of making music because of his(layne's) crippling fucking addiction... now he's gone. they paid homage to him with that first tour... they waited a sufficient amount of time after his passing.... more power to them...

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

How did you guy's miss this? Sounds great even though it is just a teaser:mosh:

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It was posted in a different AIC-related thread. Can't tell much from the teaser, other than that this re-union is being taken seriously. Hope we hear the full song sooner rather than later.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Just saw it. My mistake.

Board footer