You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Michael Jackson Discussion

Bono wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Bono you're too defensive about U2 in the MJ threads. A few days ago I made a similar analogy, I think I was talking about how a black man wrote the rock song Beat It, and it wasn't someone like Bono (or Axl, or Vedder etc). But you took it strictly as how Bono is great in himself & better than Mike. Now that I type it, I remember I was referring to how Mike never gets played on rock radio. Is that because he was "cheesy 80's pop" or because he was black. If it was a VH song would it still be played. But you totally misconstrued it because I said it's about the same as Sunday Bloody Sunday imho, and you got all offended.  SBS is an ok tune with a crappy bass hook. As D said, BJ's bass line owns it. SBS also sounds more dated, like it was recorded on a 4 track.

16  Not once did I even mention Bono being better than MJ. Find the thread post a link. If I actually compared Bono, his influence or his fame to MJ I'll never post again. My problem is the second I bring U2 up in any discussion it imediatley turns into a U2 vs whoever discussion and it's always you guys who make it that way and it's always you guys who in turn take what you want from my posts mentioning U2 without actually reading what I say. Honestly go back and read this thread. I never once tried to specifically  compare U2 to MJ yet people come back with bullshit like "Do hundreds of people camp outside Bono's house?" "Could U2 sell out the O2 arena 50 nights in a  row?" as if I even suggested anything of the sort. In one of these MJ threads I clearly stated that I believed MJ is the biggest celebrity on the planet yet everyone wants to make up shit I NEVER said.   

ONCE AGAIN I made a point of how I feel certain bands have a  timeless quality to them, U2 was one of four bands mentioned yet everyone always takes that as their cue to turn it into  a U2 vs whoever.  In all honest the second U2 gets mentioned by me it's actually  alot of you guys who get defensive.

MJ not being played on Rock radio is as simple as HE WAS NEVER ROCK! Had nothing to do with him being Black or White.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
-D- wrote:

MJ no matter your feelings was the greatest. Best part is, he wrote most of his biggest hits himself. he wasn't some studio produced magic that sang other people's shit.

Agreed.  Originally I held out my praise when I first read about his death because I wasn't sure if he wrote his songs, or had a songwriter/bought the songs. As more comes out, it seems he wrote BJ, Beat It, Thriller, Don't Stop, Mirror B or W etc. That's pretty remarkable. Such a diverse character. You can chalk me up as one who didn't appreciate how talented he was while he was alive. I'm a bit remorsed, but at least I've come to realize his talent at some point in my life. Sure I was into him when I was a kid, but since then I mostly found him laughable. I honestly think I might look into a GH or compilation album of his.

Bono you're too defensive about U2 in the MJ threads. A few days ago I made a similar analogy, I think I was talking about how a black man wrote the rock song Beat It, and it wasn't someone like Bono (or Axl, or Vedder etc). But you took it strictly as how Bono is great in himself & better than Mike. Now that I type it, I remember I was referring to how Mike never gets played on rock radio. Is that because he was "cheesy 80's pop" or because he was black. If it was a VH song would it still be played. But you totally misconstrued it because I said it's about the same as Sunday Bloody Sunday imho, and you got all offended.  SBS is an ok tune with a crappy bass hook. As D said, BJ's bass line owns it. SBS also sounds more dated, like it was recorded on a 4 track.

PA, I recommend that you check out "The Essential Michael Jackson." Has 38 tracks, most of them are brilliant. I had never heard "Dirty Diana" before he died (I'm only 23 so I'd only heard his most popular songs like Billie Jean, Thriller, Man in the Mirror, Black or White, Beat It, Bad, etc.) but I have been hooked on this song ever since I downloaded the Essential album. Its hook is catchy as hell and he sings his ass off. Just looked it up and he wrote that one as well. Here's how big MJ was: Dirty Diana was a #1 hit on the Billboard 100 and I've never even heard it. Most artists only have one #1 hit if they're lucky and it is the song they are most known for. This guy had so many hits that plenty of them got lost in the shuffle over the years, especially for younger generations like myself.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Agreed.  Originally I held out my praise when I first read about his death because I wasn't sure if he wrote his songs, or had a songwriter/bought the songs. As more comes out, it seems he wrote BJ, Beat It, Thriller, Don't Stop, Mirror B or W etc. That's pretty remarkable. Such a diverse character. You can chalk me up as one who didn't appreciate how talented he was while he was alive. I'm a bit remorsed, but at least I've come to realize his talent at some point in my life. Sure I was into him when I was a kid, but since then I mostly found him laughable. I honestly think I might look into a GH or compilation album of his.

PA, I recommend that you check out "The Essential Michael Jackson." Has 38 tracks, most of them are brilliant. I had never heard "Dirty Diana" before he died (I'm only 23 so I'd only heard his most popular songs like Billie Jean, Thriller, Man in the Mirror, Black or White, Beat It, Bad, etc.) but I have been hooked on this song ever since I downloaded the Essential album. Its hook is catchy as hell and he sings his ass off. Just looked it up and he wrote that one as well. Here's how big MJ was: Dirty Diana was a #1 hit on the Billboard 100 and I've never even heard it. Most artists only have one #1 hit if they're lucky and it is the song they are most known for. This guy had so many hits that plenty of them got lost in the shuffle over the years, especially for younger generations like myself.

I'm glad you got turned on to Dirty Diana.... what a jam!

Yeah, great song. The Wikipedia article mentions that he got Billy Idol's guitarist to play on Dirty Diana. I'd say that worked out pretty well. 3

And another cool thing I've learned recently. I had no fucking idea that Slash helped play the riff in Black or White. That's pretty awesome.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

[youtube]uwODoyZFEqo&feature=channel[/youtube]

there are 4 or 5 more parts....
watching this now... with OPEN eyes.. it's quite clear all the crazy shit about him was false. I believe every fucking word he says in this interview... except the shit about brooke sheilds. It all seems so obvious that he's gay. I'm not saying that with any negative connotations.. just.. the way he carries himself.. speaks.. hell even the way elizabeth taylor speaks about him... it's as if she knows, but is keeping her mouth shut.... he should have just come out.. i think he wanted at least some part of him to stay private.

with all the stuff i've watched and read over the last couple of days, it becomes painfully clear that michael jackson was  a misunderstood man who became a victim of his own immense fame, eccentricity.. and a tabloid media culture.

All the times i used to call "bullshit" when he would mention his skin color changing excuses.. the child molesting bullshit.. I feel so sorry that i ever doubted him.. and i think others should too.. this is all sooooo fucking sad...

he never should have been treated like this while he was alive... and now it's too late to make it up to the guy

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

tejastech08, glad you got to check out Dirty Diana...it's easily one of my favorites of his.  LOVE the way he sings it and Steve Stevens kicks ass on the guitar. 

By the way to everyone who is tallking about Billie Jean, I love the song, LOVE IT ... BUT.... if I'm being honest Michael kind of stole that riff you love from a group called Hall and Oates.  The song was called "I Can't Go For That".  Go download it and listen for yourself.  According to one of the guys in Hall and Oates (I'm not sure which is which but the blonde headed guy, the asshole lol) he says Michael even told him "I stole your song" in a joking way about Billie Jean.

Just for the record Billie Jean BLOWS that song away.  I just thought some of you may find this interesting.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

. I had no fucking idea that Slash helped play the riff in Black or White. That's pretty awesome.

just the thing in the beginning.. not the main riff

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm not sold so easy on the skin disease. I still believe he had bleaching done, then, later attributed it to a real disease. After all, Vitiligo wouldn't explain the numerous nose jobs, or the hair straightening. It's obvious he was going for a different look.

As for his sexual orientation. I don't believe he had sex with kids, or molested them. HOWEVER, sleeping with kids is fucking wierd. Especially at 30-50 year age range. That's if nothing else, criminally stupid when you're as famous as he is. I can understand sleeping with your own son if there's a thunderstorm or he had a nightmare, but not 10 or 20 random kids. So yeah, that's wierd, myb some form of perverted, but I don't think he ever molested any of the kids.

For his sexuality, I have a feeling for as famous as he was young, he probably had sex at a very young age. I'm talking the ABC years, when he was 9 or 10. Think about it, it's the late 60's, free love is everywhere, and he's headlining the Apollo, landing #1 in the charts. He was probably seduced by 15-19 yr old groupies, myb did drugs, and probably lost his virginity to them at that age. But he was so young, it didn't do anything for him, he wasn't interested in it by 12 or 13, and became in denial. Not wanting to have an interest in sex anymore. The gay rumors, yeah, there could be some truth to that as well, I'm sure that's possible Myb even likely.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I'm not sold so easy on the skin disease. I still believe he had bleaching done, then, later attributed it to a real disease. After all, Vitiligo wouldn't explain the numerous nose jobs, or the hair straightening. It's obvious he was going for a different look.

He never used the disease as an excuse for that stuff. He had that skin disease for sure. The hair stuff and the nose jobs was for psychological reasons because his asshole father abused him.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer