You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Is GNR/Motley possible? (No info, I'm just dreaming)

monkeychow wrote:

Hey,

I remember Vince and Axl got into some kind of spat a few years back, although I don't know what about anymore cos it was too long ago.

But years go by and people grow up, and the motley boys seem to have been able to reunite with each other...so no reason to still be anti-gnr over a feud even older?

Anyway...i was just thinking about it because now DJ Ashba is in GNR, and that's a guy with strong ties to the Crue - he played in Sixx AM, co-wrote some of "Saints of La" and Motley even pimped DJ's clothing line on their facebook pages at one stage. So i'm wondering if he could be a bridge between the bands, who while quite different, I'm sure share a ton of fans.

Motley playing with Buckcherry last yeart really wet my appetite for seeing them with other great bands, so I'd love to see something like a Guns, Motley and Buckcherry Tour. But who knows. I guess the "who goes on first" could become a problem. But i'd love to see it!

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

1a089ecd.jpg
Doubt it  Nikki Slammed the new gnr line up at the time CD was released.
Axl lashed out at him too when he was posting on the forums saying that certain recent bigraphies were un factual and tried to re-write history and take on "ok" band and turn them into a "great" band.

HAvent the patience to track down the Axl  comments but now that I think of it they are in the Del James interview

Nikkis comment:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=109225

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It would be my dream line-up, but pigs will fly......

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting stuff...i mean Nikki does say that he's sure Axl will make a great record and that CD is going to be phenomenal...which is generally friendly remarks....but then I guess his stance on the name issue wouldn't go down well.

Sounds like axl's remarks you refer to might be taken harsher.

But yeah it would be a damn killer show that's for sure. I guess watching DJ at cruefest made me realise the potential.....

I heard Loaded might be playing cruefest 2...so i guess that opens the door for VR/Motley maybe 1 day....but i'd still miss the GNR tracks.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/ … 089ecd.jpg
Doubt it  Nikki Slammed the new gnr line up at the time CD was released.
Axl lashed out at him too when he was posting on the forums saying that certain recent bigraphies were un factual and tried to re-write history and take on "ok" band and turn them into a "great" band.

HAvent the patience to track down the Axl  comments but now that I think of it they are in the Del James interview

Nikkis comment:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=109225

He DID say that, but his opinion may have changed now that his good friend DJ is a part of the current lineup.  Maybe he sees things in a different light now as DJ may have given him some insight into the situation rather than just making his own assumptions.

Obviously if it happened, DJ would be the reason.  Without him I'd say there's next to zero chance but with him, it could be a possibility.  I'd love to see it, never gotten around to seeing Motley live.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It will never happen, nor do I want it to.

I have no clue why people have always wanted to mix Guns N' Motley. I don't get it at all. They are two entirely different entities to me.

Guns should go on tour with bands more like Metallica, whereas Crue should be with bands like Van Halen.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I have no clue why people have always wanted to mix Guns N' Motley. I don't get it at all. They are two entirely different entities to me.

Guns should go on tour with bands more like Metallica, whereas Crue should be with bands like Van Halen.

I'd agree that Motley and GNR put out different styles. Motley is more of the classic LA sound that GNR was kind of a reaction against in the early days.

But despite that I see their discographys as quite complementry. Especially when GNR does one of its AFD heavy set lists that it's chosen to do in recent years.

Some of the motley hits like "Dr Feelgood" and "Shout at the Devil" arn't world's away from the vibe of songs like "Mr Brownstone" and "Out ot Get Me". Not saying they're the same, but it's not like opera vs megadeth either.

In the modern era I see their styles as working well together because of the differences too. Like Motley's new songs are very rockers - like "Motherfucker of the Year" - while the Chinese Democracy songs are a little more advant guard and ballad heavy (although kickass). I feel the overall effect could be an illusion style show with enough rock to satisfy the punters, but also a lot of more emotional epic GNR moments.

I've never understood the GNR/Metallica thing. Don't get me wrong I LOVE metallica. Fucking great band. But to me their style is far different from GNR. Metallica is a metal band. Especially now they've gone more towards their thrasher roots. Whereas even GNRs heaviest songs are no where near the same kind of metal.

I love both bands and they're both so good live that it would be an incrediable show. But I do worry that both bands would have fans that don't care for the other. Like some metal heads just dont want to hear ballads. And some girls who've come for ballads are going to freak when tallica plays puppets. lol. No that I wouldn't go to gnr/metallica in seconds....i'm just saying it's always seemed like a rockier marriage of bands to me than GNR/Motley - in terms of blending the fanbases.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Obviously if it happened, DJ would be the reason.  Without him I'd say there's next to zero chance but with him, it could be a possibility.  I'd love to see it, never gotten around to seeing Motley live.

I just noticed this on wikipedia for what that's worth:

Apparently comments from Vince in 2008:

"it's like if somebody pulls your hair when you're in third grade, are you still going to beat them up? ... I don't think so." He also noted that he had not spoken to Rose in more than 20 years

Opens a doorway to me....make it happen DJ 9 14

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I just noticed this on wikipedia for what that's worth:

Apparently comments from Vince in 2008:

"it's like if somebody pulls your hair when you're in third grade, are you still going to beat them up? ... I don't think so." He also noted that he had not spoken to Rose in more than 20 years

Opens a doorway to me....make it happen DJ 9 14

First on the DJ being the one to be able to make this happen.  Are you guys serious?  The guy just joined GNR and for all we know he could be gone already.  And even if he's still in I'm pretty sure his influence in GNR is pretty much non existant.  He has done nothing with them except MAYBE rehearse.  DJ is not a factor at all if this were to happen.  As for the war of words between Nikki and Axl.  What Nikki said is really not that bad.  He said CD was great just not a GNR record.  As for what Axl said, I don't know what he said but I'm pretty sure Sixx would ignore that. After all the things that were said between the Crue and Vince Neil when they fired him, and they still took him back.  So it would not be a problem.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

DJ is long gone, and has been for weeks.

You heard it here first. And no i'm not playing insider, i'm just telling you if it worked out, they'd already be doing dates.

Board footer