You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Has anyone ever made this observation?

FlashFlood wrote:

So the other day I was jammin to CD in my car and my brother asked me a question about what GNR were up to. I began to stumble and fumble over my words describing what the band was doing (rehearsals, ashba, rerelease?)

and then it came to me...

I never talk about this shit out loud. The only place I ever discuss my favorite band and music is on this message board.

Has anybody ever made a similar realization. Its almost weird to say out loud something like..."wow Mister Saint Laurent is gonna leak Atlas Shrugged after he trades the MOGG files! I wonder what Dexter, Beta, and Fernando think!"

i dont know worthless thread i suppose.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Cool thread actually.

I don't talk much outside of this forum about GnR, little bit here & there with friends myb, but not much. I do notice when I do talk about it, I have wayyyyyy to much ready to say. Like you said about "MSL leaking Atlas Shrugged...". I was talking with my brother a few weeks ago, and I was going on about how most of the songs leaked, so I heard them already, and BBF replaced BH etc.  Wayy too much info for him.

I never had the revelation moment you had though, until I read it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yes, i've ran into this problem many times, especially wearing new GN'R shirts.

They ask, "I used to love that band. What are they doing these days?"

It's hard to give them a basic answer, it's so complex everything that has occured. I usually just respond, "well the band ended after 1994 and was on hiatus for a bunch of years. The band members moved on. Then around the early 2000's, Axl Rose revived the band, but with new band members, and sporadically releases material and tours, with his new GN'R"

That's how I sum it up. Their response is, "so is Slash still in the band?" "No, only Axl, and their keyboard player, Dizzy Reed, still remain from the old band in the band." "Why isn't Slash in the band?" "He and Axl had creative differences, and Slash decided to move on to a solo career and Axl continued with GN'R" "Oh, I didn't know that"

I've had the convo, so many times, i've practically rehearsed it. Is it the precise truth? No. But to a casual fan on the street, it's the only way i've found to sum it up, and they understand.

"Well what's the new GN'R doing right now?" "Nothing, they are not touring right now, and no new releases are announced".

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Absolutely.  I try NOT to talk about GNR as much as I can.  Of course sometimes I can't help myself but I wouldn't let my friends now all the intimate details in the land of GNR.  They may send me to a mental hospital if they knew how invested I was.  I went to the MSG show with a bunch of friends 2 years ago and one of my friends has asked me countless times since then when they're going on tour again because he wants to go.  I snicker everytime and tell him there's nothing planned but he can be rest assured I will let him and ALL my friends know once plans are in place.  It's funny how he asks the question so innocently, thinking GNR should be on tour eventually.  Little does he know, he may be waiting awhile.

I used to send GNR related e-mails to friends whenver news/rumors would arise.  That list used to include 8 people or so, but a few told me to stop sending them that nonsense and others just never commented on it at all so I got the hint.  Now the e-mails are MUCH LESS frequent and go to 2 maybe 3 people.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Unfortunately I can't shut up about GNR and even though nothing happens, everything reminds me of GNR.

So my poor friends have to put up with shit like "Oh...we caught another red light. These delays make me understand how someone like Axl feels, like you've got a vision in mind and you want to make it happen, but things keep going wrong" and "see how that tree over there is arched back, just like in that classic photo of Slash"....

My phone doesn't ring often anymore.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed faldor. I've never tipped my hand to the world, concerning my love of GN'R.

It actually took me YEARS before I ever even opened up in my own household, because all I wanted was to NOT come across as obsessed. And there was a time, that I think I invested TOO much time in it, so much to a point, that I was spending tons of energy in something that was basically irrelevant, even in the household of Axl Rose.

I actually wish I wasn't as invested in Guns as I am... but at the same time, if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't appreciate CD. I'd be in the "that's not really Guns N' Roses. That fuggin' sux doode" And i'm glad i'm not, and can appreciate new Guns music, for simply that - music.

But GN'R is a classic rock n' roll trainwreck. As a diehard fan, you can't help but to want pull up a chair, and washing that crashed train burn 'til there's nothing left.

I think the scary thing for me, is i've slipped into that past tense role as a fan, simply because i've moved on, life happens, and you get busy. My mind processes GN'R now, as that "once great band I loved as a kid. Boy I really loved them. I still listen to all their albums".

That whole statement is past tense, and it's sad. Even if Axl cranks up the GN'R ship again, even if it's a reunion... it'll still be a nostalgia act. I don't think GN'R will ever be relevant again, it's just not gonna happen under any circumstances.

Different year, different decade, different generation. People moved on probably 10 years ago, if not 15. It's hard for us to grasp that sometimes, but a fresh dose of reality in the world, truely makes you understand that it's your thing.

I met a girl recently, my age, that revealed her favorite singer growing up was Axl Rose. She loved GN'R. She was a cool, and very smart girl, but she really made me take a step back, and just listen, and focus on what she said.

Everything was in the past tense. Axl might as well have been dead.

And I don't wish him so, i'm just proving a point, it's LONG over, and the world in general makes us see that.

We can all get together, or even have friends and girlfriends, who also love Guns, and start to sing when Sweet Child comes on, or put their fist in the air for Jungle or Paradise City, and still make love to November Rain, etc.

But GN'R has officialy joined the graveyard with bands like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones, and Queen, and all the great rock bands that have long deceased on cultural relevance. Michael Jackson joined that graveyard too, years before his recent death.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Me either, and i'm proud to suck the cock of this place. It's the most level-headed, honest place out there.

Russ is totally right. I may make extreme comments at times (see above, lol) but, this place has kept my sanity with GN'R, and also allowed me to take a step back and see it for what it is. The other boards are so blind and jaded, that I feel sad for those people.

Jackson's death, as well as the elimination threads, have been some of the most interesting things in the past week or so. Even MSL's return was kind of like "been there done that". No offense to MSL, 'cause he's cool, but I think alot of us are just kind of over GN'R.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Different year, different decade, different generation. People moved on probably 10 years ago, if not 15. It's hard for us to grasp that sometimes, but a fresh dose of reality in the world, truely makes you understand that it's your thing.

Interesting what your saying. Part of that is society and the music industry.

But like have a look around ourselves now in our lives, it's such a different world to say 1991, i look back when i was a kid in the 80s and it's hard to beleive some of my memories are real. Like a catridrage and tape based PCs - kinda bizzare now while watching HD video online...lol.

Anyway..what i'm saying is...while GNR is a bizzare story...it's also natural...even if the band had stayed together...for things to move on to an extent...no one would stay at the highest point of their career forever.

However that said, I beleive all members of GNR, both new and old generations still have valuable music to give to the world. And if anything that's why i wish there was less drama and more of them doing their life's work.

I dont want to go on one of my morbid rants...but slash had a pacemaker installed at 30 something...and yet he still sometimes relapses onto drugs from recent comments from people. There's only so much your body can take.

That said...i hope everyone in GNR lives until their 150...but i'm just saying. Well actually what I am I saying? I have no idea...i'm just babling on.

Board footer