You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Who do you want as the opening act?

bigbri wrote:

The Sword
Buckethead
Paradise Lost
Weezer. They already did it once.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buckethead... now that would be a riot.

We might as well call Loaded while we're at it also. Then Slash could come on and promote his solo album before GN'R took the stage. 16

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
madagas wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

aic opened for VR on their last tour...i don't know. if i went to a gnr/aic show, i cant say unequivocally that aic should be the opener. they are more fresh now than gnr and people take them more seriously.

And how many albums did the new AIC sell? Who exactly is taking them seriously?

That being said, AIC blew VR off the stage when I saw them in Atlanta. I think AIC is appropriate. Similar audiences...similar situations as far as band dynamics....no Slash vs no Layne but they still kick some ass. That would work. Outside of them, I really can't think of a good fit. Axl is too quirky and demanding. He is best left on his own. No opening act would be just fine with me. Just play some rocking tunes and hang out for an hour or so before it starts.

Black Gives Way to Blue debuted at #5 on the Billboard 200, selling 126,000 in its first week,[30] and entered the UK charts at number 19 on October 5, 2009.[31] (from wiki)

check my brain hit  number one on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks and Billboard Rock Songs charts.

the album, in its third week, is still 17 on the billboard top 200. where was gnr their third week? if this was 2008, AIC would open for GNR hands down. right now? AIC would probably do nothing but hinder themselves by opening for gnr.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Buckcherry
Steel Panther
The Parlour Mob
Towers of London

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axl S wrote:

M.I.A. not a chance that will or would happen.

Why do you say that with such certainty? She's on the same label, is/was a fan, and at least Fortus and Ron are fans. She's also guaranteed to actually sell tickets, something that Baz could never do, yet he was on two tours.

BLS-Pride wrote:

James, Pussycat Dolls and MIA? Dude seriously? For a rock and roll show? Very strange choices.. The fucking Pussycat Dolls?

BLS said it himself why it won't happen. Most of M.I.A.'s fans would not want to see GNR and most GNR fans wouldn't want to see M.I.A.

It's simple. You need to fill those seats with a band where people who wouldn't normally go just for GNR may go for the opening act AND GNR.

AIC are only possible if it's a co-headline thing.

Shinedown would be a good choice as opener, same goes for The Answer. A7X would be a good choice again and would fill the seats.

If Anthrax can get their shit together they're another good possibility.

Sky Dog wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
madagas wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

aic opened for VR on their last tour...i don't know. if i went to a gnr/aic show, i cant say unequivocally that aic should be the opener. they are more fresh now than gnr and people take them more seriously.

That being said, AIC blew VR off the stage when I saw them in Atlanta. I think AIC is appropriate. Similar audiences...similar situations as far as band dynamics....no Slash vs no Layne but they still kick some ass. That would work. Outside of them, I really can't think of a good fit. Axl is too quirky and demanding. He is best left on his own. No opening act would be just fine with me. Just play some rocking tunes and hang out for an hour or so before it starts.

Black Gives Way to Blue debuted at #5 on the Billboard 200, selling 126,000 in its first week,[30] and entered the UK charts at number 19 on October 5, 2009.[31] (from wiki)

check my brain hit  number one on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks and Billboard Rock Songs charts.

the album, in its third week, is still 17 on the billboard top 200. where was gnr their third week? if this was 2008, AIC would open for GNR hands down. right now? AIC would probably do nothing but hinder themselves by opening for gnr.

Charts don't mean shit. It is about putting asses in seats and record sales on a worldwide basis. New Gnr is a bigger band worldwide than AIC. Simple as that. I am not saying Chinese is a better record or saying that they are a better band. Just sayin' they are a bigger band than AIC on a worldwide level. Again, I think it would be a great tour. Just my opinion.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm
week 3 global chart AIC 39,000 sold

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week51-2008.htm
week 3 global chart GNR 250,000 sold

Flashflood, talk US chart positions all you want, I'll talk big picture sales.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

what about that cage the elephant band?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
madagas wrote:

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm
week 3 global chart AIC 39,000 sold

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week51-2008.htm
week 3 global chart GNR 250,000 sold

Flashflood, talk US chart positions all you want, I'll talk big picture sales.

you asked who was taking them seriously and i gave you an answer.

who takes gnr seriously? i oversees i get, but those canadian dates WILL tank if they do nothing outside of tour there (single, re-release, etc).

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
madagas wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Chinese Democracy was at #29 in its their 3rd week on the billboard chart. 

Does AIC have plans to tour to support their album?  Or has GNR started a new trend in waiting a year to do so?

I also think Shinedown is a much bigger band than AIC.  Maybe not in a historical sense but they're latest album has been on the charts for ages and they keep pumping out successful singles.

Board footer