You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

And I don't think there's a "terrible song" on UYI. Even the worst GNR song is superior to most bands for my particualr tastes.

Sentimental Movie
Just Another Sunday
Get In The Ring
Shotgun Blues
My World

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

This I Lol

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

And I don't think there's a "terrible song" on UYI. Even the worst GNR song is superior to most bands for my particualr tastes.

Sentimental Movie
Just Another Sunday
Get In The Ring
Shotgun Blues
My World

Out of that list....Sentimrntal Movie and Just Another Sunday arn't even on the final album.....Shotgun Blues is a song I personaly enjoy a lot...Get in the Ring...has some great guitar and the angry lyrics are fun as a young man....and the words of my world are really facinating to me on a lot of levels.

In my mind the UYI albums are perfect as delivered.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

but show me any day of the year where a kurt cobain can outplay a slash or dave mustaine or someone like that.

there arent many people that can outplay mustaine or slash...kinda unfair bar to set tongue

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

So you consider Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues and My World better songs than most bands?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i like shotgun blues...and ilike get in the ring...i mean it has a certain nostalgic value for me...i think for those of us in a world where the "f-word" wasnt said every other word in music, there is a lost art for musicians writing songs without profanity in them IMO

anyway the music for GITR is amazing on its own, its a shame that it was used in a throwaway song...but at the same time GITR helped define GnR's and Axl's stance to the media...for better or worse

in short...does GITR have staying power like the singes from the band back then? certainly not, but for teen kids at the time (like me) it helped them gain an extra level of respect, it represented a big F-U to authority for kids at the time

as for myworld...i mean at the time i hated it, but there is somethign about it that is catchy, and the loops and effects that are used on it are pretty cool

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
misterID wrote:

Get In The Ring is pretty embarrassing. The fact its on an album with Estranged is stupifying. Also one of the reasons GNR was a punching bag in the alt rock movement.

I disagree that gnr was a punching bag for the alternative movement and that's just my opinion but to say a couple of b sides on a double album contributed to the notion i will argue objectively against with my last breathe.

the grunge movement happened regardless of what gnr was doing and, besides, there was room for both. At one point GNR and grunge were both still very popular.

it is a natural process for new bands and sounds to creep their way in to relevance and it is a natural progression for bands like to gnr to open doors for those bands. no aerosmith, no gnr. no gnr, no nirvana. - for loose example.

Good bands like u2 endure those shifts and, based on the way gnr's catalogue has endured through continued record sales and air play, it's safe to say they would have endured as well had they not imploded.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Alt. rock, grunge pussies don't really dictate to me what I like or don't.

With all due respect to Layne Staley & Jerry Cantrell.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I know the popular opinion (even with GNR fans) is that the UYI's had too much filler.  I just don't get it though.  And I know we've had this discussion before and people have different definitions of what filler is.  But the only song on the 2 discs that I really didn't care for was "My World".

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Faldor, if "Shotgun Blues" was on AFD... they'd beat off all over it.

It's no better or worse than Anything Goes. Neither is GITR.

Scraped & Riad are the B-sides on CD, and they are still decent songs. They're not 'awful' per say.

Board footer