You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Dream Theater? CAn someone Propose some Dream Theater for me ?

Stepvhen wrote:

Hey. I wana give Dream Theatre a go. I need to know which albums to get.
Any DT fans here with  a few ideas for me?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Scenes From A Memory and Awake are both very good albums. I'd start there. Also the Change of Seasons EP is good.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

too much keyboards in dreamtheatre for my tastes sad

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Scenes From A Memory and Awake are both very good albums. I'd start there. Also the Change of Seasons EP is good.

Agreed. Scenes is their best, although the lyrics were better on the earlier records.

My very short description of their albums:

When Dream and Day Unite - it's a typical early record, with a different singer. Don't start with this, later you'll find more in this to like. It's their worst record IMO.

Images And Words - great album, although the synths and drums are very 80s sounding, which can be disturbing for some.

Awake - dark and heacy progressive rock/metal. 10/10, although the keyboard player, Kevin Moore's presence isn't very strong. At least he did Space-Dye Vest, which is still my favourite DT song.

A Change of Seasons - good album, but don't start with this. It's basically one song that lasts for like 26 minutes, and a couple of live covers.

Falling Into Infinity - their 'mainstream' album, with some Desmond Child collaboration. Some good songs here and there, but not a true progressive DT album.

Scenes From a Memory - an orgy of music. (The debut of the new keyboard man, Jordan Rudess, who replaced the Moore-replacement Derek Sherininan.)

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - a double album. Good, but not the best. The second disc with the only one song isn't very interesting.

Train Of Thought - the first album of the new, really heavy direction. Metallica on steroids. And some keyboard. Very good album.

Octavarium - a bit uninspired record, with some Metallica meets DT songs, some Muse-influences tunes and the very good title song.

Systematic Chaos - I really love it, it's like the more DTish brother of ToT, although the majority of the fans don't rate high this album.

Black Clouds & Silver Linings - well, I'm not a fan of the new record. I only like 2 songs.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm big on Falling Into Infinity, although I find a song or two that are absolute masterpieces on every DT record. I really like Octavarium as well.

Images and Words was my first DT record, and I still love it.

Haven't heard the new record yet. Hoping Santa brings it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm with Bri... Images and Words was my first DT experience.

Still my fave... I say start there. The start of the true DT experience, and Pull Me Under is their most instantly recognizable track.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:

Even though I wasn't the one to request this, thanks for all the recommendations.  I've been a huge Rush fan forever and people have often told me that I should check out Dream Theater.  Maybe it's time I finally get around to giving them a listen.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think Awake is the best starting album. Scenes can be 'too much' to begin with.

But I'm still amazed by The Dark Eternal Night live studio performance from Systematic Chaos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF4JD2rO3Q

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Thanks GUys. I went with Metropolis 2 Awake and "Black Clouds & Silver Linings".

Great Band love them. Every time I loose hope in Rock n Roll it seems there has been someone under my nose the whole time that I never paid proper attention.

I also got American Soldier by Queensryche earlier in the year. Im gonna track down Operation Mindcrime. Those guys are another great band

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

the one that turned me onto 'em was the "Change Of Seasons" E.P....

Board footer