You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: "Ghost" is streaming NOW

Sky Dog wrote:

The whole concept of the record is a sell out. Every song fits in to a different segment of the radio market. It is blatantly obvious that this was done on purpose. He is specifically trying to pull a Santana and have a massive hit record. Nothing wrong with that but it is "selling out". Almost every track we have heard could be a single and it just "feels" to me like that is his sole purpose...to write a bunch of radio friendly songs.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

I think I would like this song if you took out that fuckin' cheesy riff that starts the song and pops up every now and then under the chorus.

Really?  That's my favorite part of the track.  After that it goes downhill for me.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

The whole concept of the record is a sell out. Every song fits in to a different segment of the radio market. It is blatantly obvious that this was done on purpose. He is specifically trying to pull a Santana and have a massive hit record. Nothing wrong with that but it is "selling out". Almost every track we have heard could be a single and it just "feels" to me like that is his sole purpose...to write a bunch of radio friendly songs.

Last time I heard that 'Slash can't write a hit'. He was stuck in the 70s. His 'Snakeshit' records didn't sell and was 'generic rock'. Now he did write 14 song that can be a hit in the 2010s? The guy can only do wrong. hmm

I get what you mean though. Yes, he wants this album to be successful - every artist does, who says otherwise is lying. Yes, Slash wrote more ballads and mid-tempo songs now than ever. But I rather listen a not too deep record I can enjoy for the good music, than going through a muddy mess like the first half of Contraband. (On the other hand he got the 'sell-out' badge then for reuniting with Duff and Matt and getting a well-known singer.)
Now that he plays in 14 different styles - now the choir damns him for this. Last time he 'played safe' in his 'comfort zone'. Now that he plays in at least 10 different zones, he's also a sell-out and a 'safe player', cause he has singers. W.T.F. Without singers the choir would say 'well, he broke up with Axl, broke up with Scott, he can't work with a singer anymore'. Ridiculous. Some people are very 'disappointed'. Lie. Most of them knew long before the album came out that they wouldn't like it. They simply don't like Slash or are afraid of his success. They'd need to grow up (I'm not talking about you.) Not to mention that now it turns out that all the 12 singers suck. Or don't suck usually, but, with Slash, they suck. Or they are doing the same like they're doing on their albums. Something's always wrong with Slash and his songs.

Enough of the politics and try to enjoy the music for what it is. I don't say everyone should like Slash's album. I don't say every GN'R fan should like Slash's album. I don't say that 'stay away of this topic, if you don't like it or don't care'. No. But damn, some of you are eager to find something to trash this album. This is pathetic.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, the truth is I bought the first Snakepit record....really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me....didn't buy the second one. I bought Contraband and really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me...didn't buy the second one. I have listened to these batch of songs and don't hear much that really interests me so I won't be buying it.

So, simply put, Slash and I don't jive anymore outside of classic Gnr. I just don't find him interesting, and I don't think I would find him and Axl interesting together either unless they are doing the classics or recording with Izzy involved as well.

That is my parting shot and I will respect you Slashaholics and stay out of these threads.:peace:

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

Well, the truth is I bought the first Snakepit record....really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me....didn't buy the second one. I bought Contraband and really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me...didn't buy the second one. I have listened to these batch of songs and don't hear much that really interests me so I won't be buying it.

So, simply put, Slash and I don't jive anymore outside of classic Gnr. I just don't find him interesting, and I don't think I would find him and Axl interesting together either if these are the kind of songs he constructs.

That is my parting shot and I will respect you Slashaholics and stay out of these threads.:peace:

Fair enough, but no need to stay away, I always hated the forum ghettos, where you are only allowed to support someone or something. Just please, no more 'sell-outing'. 16

Sky Dog wrote:

I'll stick to the music but still try to stay positive. The sell out thing really isn't fair because anyone who makes art and puts it up for "sale" is selling out....especially hugely successful guys like Axl and Slash.

uh oh, The Garden just came up on the old IPOD....now there is a ripping Slash solo accompanied by a trippy instrumental...those were the days...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Last time I heard that 'Slash can't write a hit'. He was stuck in the 70s. His 'Snakeshit' records didn't sell and was 'generic rock'. Now he did write 14 song that can be a hit in the 2010s? The guy can only do wrong. hmm

I get what you mean though. Yes, he wants this album to be successful - every artist does, who says otherwise is lying. Yes, Slash wrote more ballads and mid-tempo songs now than ever. But I rather listen a not too deep record I can enjoy for the good music, than going through a muddy mess like the first half of Contraband. (On the other hand he got the 'sell-out' badge then for reuniting with Duff and Matt and getting a well-known singer.)
Now that he plays in 14 different styles - now the choir damns him for this. Last time he 'played safe' in his 'comfort zone'. Now that he plays in at least 10 different zones, he's also a sell-out and a 'safe player', cause he has singers. W.T.F. Without singers the choir would say 'well, he broke up with Axl, broke up with Scott, he can't work with a singer anymore'. Ridiculous. Some people are very 'disappointed'. Lie. Most of them knew long before the album came out that they wouldn't like it. They simply don't like Slash or are afraid of his success. They'd need to grow up. Not to mention that now it turns out that all the 12 singers suck. Or don't suck usually, but, with Slash, they suck. Or they are doing the same like they're doing on their albums. Something's always wrong with Slash and his songs.

Enough of the politics and try to enjoy the music for what it is. I don't say everyone should like Slash's album. I don't say every GN'R fan should like Slash's album. I don't say that 'stay away of this topic, if you don't like it or don't care'. No. But damn, some of you are eager to find something to trash this album. This is pathetic.

good post Mikka...anyway its cool if nobody likes it...from the short preview i heard and the single and the ozzy track i must say that i'm still very excited to get my hands on the album...i still think its gonna rock..sure maybe its not for everyone or maybe not every song will be a hit single  or even universally liked...but from what i heard so far its slash doing what he does and thats right up my alley 22

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

these songs are average - the guitar work is average for the most part. when the guitar is better than average the vocals hold those songs back.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll stick to the music but still try to stay positive. The sell out thing really isn't fair because anyone who makes art and puts it up for "sale" is selling out....especially hugely successful guys like Axl and Slash.

^this

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

to me "selling out" is putting out a product with the intent of selling it as much as possible and/or doing what others want

rather than putting out a product that you are proud of.

Board footer