You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: "Ghost" is streaming NOW

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Guns N' Roses would be be Guns N' Roses with whoever had the rights to the name.

You've just stated that it's Guns N' Roses if it's called Guns N' Roses. wink  I can call myself Bonaparte Napoleon, but it won't make Bonaparte Napoleon, even if I own the name. big_smile Yes, it's a statement. 16
So there is at least two parties: the judicary and the metaphysical party of Guns N' Roses fans.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

I would have no problem with Slash being in the new band! I mean DJ is pretty much a Slash wannabe. Why not have the real thing? If everybody checked their ego at the door, it would work. Just Slash and Axl would legitimize it as the real deal to the public.

Though Slash and Duff had big egos, in this case, the ego that needs checked the most would be Axl's.  Letting Slash back in would be a slap in the face to everything he has worked on since Slash left...  Not in my mind, his mind.

Sky Dog wrote:

As far as the name goes, here is my take. First and foremost, I wish Axl would have NOT carried on under the Gnr banner. Do something different and keep Gnr in your back pocket.

Now, the problem is, in a way, Axl had to carry on due to the huge debt that had piled up from trying to record an album from 93-97. The record company wanted a Gnr album under any set of circumstances and expected Axl to produce it...with or without Slash. So, Axl pieces a band together, re-does the Gnr contract in 1998 and soldiers on. Thus, legally it is Gnr if Axl is involved and I accept it as that. Two different Gnr's to me...the classic band and the new band of revolving musicians. Both Gnr, but distinctly different.

But, I rationalize this off of my core belief that Axl has always been at least 50% of the Gnr brand. With the old band, I saw Axl as the voice and face of the band and the other musicians as the music. Axl 50% vs Slash/Duff/Izzy/Drummer 50%. Voice 50% vs Music 50%.

This is where Gnr fans greatly disagree....on what percentage each member brought to the table. Just my opinion.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Guns N' Roses would be be Guns N' Roses with whoever had the rights to the name.

You've just stated that it's Guns N' Roses if it's called Guns N' Roses. wink  I can call myself Bonaparte Napoleon, but it won't make Bonaparte Napoleon, even if I own the name. big_smile Yes, it's a statement. 16
So there is at least two parties: the judicary and the metaphysical party of Guns N' Roses fans.

calling yourself a name and a judge agreeing that you are legally the soul owner of a band are two completely different things.

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Might want to get a ruler out and measure this one....

exactly what i've been saying - slash is an amazing soloist but izzy is what brought the solos and vocals together with his song writing.

war

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

Please. Axl has never written too much material, he's more of a producer. Chinese Democracy also proves that, too. He needs others to write music for him. He can't even play guitar good enough to create something better than a 14-year old could. Besides the great Estranged, November Rain and This I Love, nothing proves his songwriting ability. Nothing.

that's a lot more right there than about anyone on the planet.

slash plays guitar. he's  a guitar player, not a song writer.

axl sings and plays piano. izzy sings and plays guitar. that is y they are able to write songs. plus whatever personality traits they have that slash doesn't.

slash is too simple minded to be a song writer.

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I love both guys and they are my two favorite singers so its hard to slag either for their immense talent, but Axl doesn't come close in that department and Axl even admitted it in a RS interview many years ago.

The only capacity that Axl destroys Cornell is his stage presence, but in fairness very few in history can rival Axl's stage presence.

i disagree - axl is a far more diverse vocalist.

and since when does a statement of modesty equal truth when talking about one's own self?

Sky Dog wrote:

you're on a roll...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's simple, why is it that GN'R hasn't had the power since Izzy last was on the roster?

'Nuff said

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Since we're on the topic of Axl vs Slash(again). Slash couldn't hold Axl's jockstrap in the songwriting department. Let's be real.

Please. Axl has never written too much material, he's more of a producer. Chinese Democracy also proves that, too. He needs others to write music for him. He can't even play guitar good enough to create something better than a 14-year old could. Besides the great Estranged, November Rain and This I Love, nothing proves his songwriting ability. Nothing.

that's a lot more right there than about anyone on the planet.

slash plays guitar. he's  a guitar player, not a song writer.

axl sings and plays piano. izzy sings and plays guitar. that is y they are able to write songs. plus whatever personality traits they have that slash doesn't.

slash is too simple minded to be a song writer.

I think even you know that your attempt to downplay Slash's importance and songwriting greatness was desperate and ridiculous. It's not about having a different opinion. it's about having a valid opinion.
According to you Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Buckethead etc. are not songwriters. I'm afraid you don't play any instrument and has never got any music education.

Board footer