You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Last book you read...

I've just got finished reading Under The Dome by Stephen King, it's an awesome book, everyone should read it, but it's a long book and takes awhile to read.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
TheMole wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

Actually reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornsby right now.

How does that stack up against the movie? I love that flick, but I'm afraid it's 'cause of the great performances by Cusack and Black.

Well.. it's actually based London, so that makes it a little different right there. Other than that, the movie follows it quite well. A lot of it has just been Americanized though. A lot of Rob's narration is dead-on. It's actually one of my favorite movies. Watching it has been a prerequisite to dating me that I've given girls!

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:

Finished book 7 of the Stackhouse series, called "All Together Dead." Probably one of my favorites of the series. Still haven't read The Noticer but I really need to before the weekend...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

finished off cuckoo's nest just now smile

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I have just been bought Steig Larsson's trilogy of books and have only just opened the first one "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".

Anybody read this before?  Any feedback?

Yes, it's great.  You're lucky as the third part of the Trilogy isn't due to hit the US until May.  There have been 3 movies made from the books.  The first one "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" got 4 stars from Roger Ebert.  I think an American remake is being planned with David Fincher slated to direct it.  At least that's the rumor I read.

I thought the first book (Dragon Tattoo) was slightly better than the follow up "The Girl who played with Fire."

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I have just been bought Steig Larsson's trilogy of books and have only just opened the first one "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".

Anybody read this before?  Any feedback?

Yes, it's great.  You're lucky as the third part of the Trilogy isn't due to hit the US until May.  There have been 3 movies made from the books.  The first one "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" got 4 stars from Roger Ebert.  I think an American remake is being planned with David Fincher slated to direct it.  At least that's the rumor I read.

I thought the first book (Dragon Tattoo) was slightly better than the follow up "The Girl who played with Fire."

I have actually now finished reading the first two books and have just started the third.  I didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet.  We had friends over from Norway staying with us and I think they bought them for me presumably at the airport at Heathrow since there is a pound price tag on the book.  I'm not sure if the third one is out yet in Australia either.

I heard they were doing a US version of the Dragon Tattoo.  I was also told that the existing movie versions of the Dragon Tattoo don't even give you the option for an English subtitle, which seems a bit strange.

I enjoyed both of the first two books and read them really quickly which is unusual for me.  I did find that Steig Larsson at times is overly descriptive with things, he explains the setting or actions of the characters down to the minutest almost irrelevant detail.  I also struggle to keep track of who some of the minor characters are since the Swedish names don't resonate with me and then they will switch between using their first name and second name - coupled with the fact that there are so many damn characters!!!

I am into the third book now and interested to see how it all finishes.  From reading the books they seem as if they lend themselves well to a movie of each so I will be interested to see how the US version of Dragon Tattoo works.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I think the original Swedish film does have subtitles since it's been in limited release in the States here.  I believe some of the PAL dvd versions don't have English subs.  I've seen the third movie(in PAL version) floating around a torrent site I frequent.  OT:  Does Australia use NTSC or PAL for video?

For the American version, I think the rumor I read said that David Fincher wanted Kristen Stewart (of Twilight fame) to play Lisbeth Salander.  That might pose a problem because there are some pretty explicit sex scenes in the novels.

Amyway, the author Stieg Larrson has a pretty interesting story too as he died a few years ago (cancer, I think) after he submitted manuscripts for the first three novels.  Now that the books have become a huge hit, the remaining part of his family (brother and father) are trying to liimit the amount of royalities/income received on the book by his life partner/girlfriend.  She and Larrson weren't married and I don't think she is entitled to the profits. so that's a big mess.

The only trump card held by the girlfriend is that she allegedly has a partial manuscript (or something to the effect) of a fourth novel from The Millenium Series (the set of Blomkvist/Salander novels).  So there might be a small chance that there could be a fourth novel in the future.

Anyway enjoy the book!

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

We use (or used) PAL in Oz although the more expensive VCR's gave you the option to play NTSC and PAL.

True there is some pretty explicit stuff in the book that Lisbeth goes through!

Yeah I read an article/interview with his wife - well defacto.  Sounds like Stieg's family totally fucked her over when they saw the $ signs.  Whilst she wasn't legally entitled to anything under Swedish laws they were together for years and years so it appears that morally his family haven't exactly acted appropriately.  Plus they have raked in millions from these books and now the film.  I mean how much is enough???  They could easily give the woman a few million dollars and still have millons left for themself.

I know his wife was concerned about maintaing the artist integrity of the characters when the book was being translated to film.  But according to her opinion Stieg's father and brother didn't give a toss about those sort of things and just pushed ahead as quickly as possible chasing the dollars.  I read that Stieg's wife is putting out a book with her side of the story too.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

good god, since my birthday last week i've been given 5 books, and i still have $20 in gift cert's for chapters (bookstore)

my latest acquisition is call Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski (i posted about him before and his fucked up book house of leaves...this one follows i nthe same style. and its about a boy and a girl 16 years old travelling through time, perpetually 16, the books is actually 2 in 1, the yellow side is from the girls POV, and flip it over and the green side is from the boy's, read 8 pages of one and flip it then read 8 pages of the other, pretty messed up, should be interesting though

that goes along with
Heavier than heaven (cobain bio)
love & death (cobain murder conspiracy theory)
Black tooth grin (dimebag darrell Bio)
shadow rise (book 3 of shadowmarch trilogy) tad williams

and i still ahve band of brothers and game of thrones to read..and half of to kill a mockingbird

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

finished TKAMB...was pretty good...i imagine it was very cutting edge back in the 60's

also finished Black Tooth Grin (the Dimebag Darryl Bio) ... it was ok ... not great but ok, dont think the author had much of an inside view at Dime so it was more of a look at his public persona rather anything...though he did have lots of quotes from peopel that knew and worked with dime... nothing from Rita, his father or any of the damage plan and pantera guys though hmm

Board footer