You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

Gong wrote:

I'm convinced that leaks are the only way we're going to hear the other 16 songs.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well yeah there is that too... 16

Agathos
 Rep: 6 

Agathos wrote:
Neemo wrote:

he's saying that every song you hear in advance of the album kinda lessens the impact of the album when it finally goes on sale

Is he? I thought he was talking about the "surprise element". Surely, the surprise of hearing new songs is the same regardless of whether those songs are leaked or officially released. Whatever it is within the songs that are surprising remains the same regardless of how we obtain the songs.

But okay, we are now talking about "the album impact". I agree that the impact of the album necessarily must be reduced when the songs are already known. But what we gained was a huge impact of the leaks! I would dare to say that the impact of the leaks which we got is equal in size to the impact of the album which we lost. Hence it doesn't matter. Of course the album meant less to us when the content was already known compared to a situation where it was all novel. So we ended up buying the record to support the band, not to hear the songs. But I dare to say that what I lost album-wise I gained leak-wise. The impact of the music remains the same. And GN'R still got my money.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yes but if diehard fans dont give a shit anymore then why should joe-average?

yes diehards cared back in 2002-2006 but when the album was released alot of forum people were over it when typically they would be the ones calling radios stations and what not requesting GnR and creating a buzz

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think the people who are still interested are interested for the same reasons they were before... Wanting to hear Axl's music. I never thought people had their whole lives wrapped around it so much that they'd burn out and it would become a big deal. Which is why I always laughed at Axl's whole "live your life" comment. Dunno hmm

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Agathos wrote:
Neemo wrote:

he's saying that every song you hear in advance of the album kinda lessens the impact of the album when it finally goes on sale

Is he? I thought he was talking about the "surprise element". Surely, the surprise of hearing new songs is the same regardless of whether those songs are leaked or officially released. Whatever it is within the songs that are surprising remains the same regardless of how we obtain the songs.

But okay, we are now talking about "the album impact". I agree that the impact of the album necessarily must be reduced when the songs are already known. But what we gained was a huge impact of the leaks! I would dare to say that the impact of the leaks which we got is equal in size to the impact of the album which we lost. Hence it doesn't matter. Of course the album meant less to us when the content was already known compared to a situation where it was all novel. So we ended up buying the record to support the band, not to hear the songs. But I dare to say that what I lost album-wise I gained leak-wise. The impact of the music remains the same. And GN'R still got my money.

I'm saying that yes in these days and age leaks are common.  But in the case of GNR we heard the majority of the songs more than a few months before.  Some were nearly 10 years old and some close to a year old so when the album came out, we knew exactly what was in there, what it would sound like, basically we knew it all except in my case for 3 songs to which I had refused to listen to the leaks.  The others I did listen cause I was sure it was the only way I would ever hear new music from Axl.  So yes when CD came in stores, the magic was simply gone.  I remember when the Illusions records came out I was thrilled and couldn't wait to hear the new music.  Well in CD there was NO NEW MUSIC.  Sad but true and yes I have myself to blame, we all can blame ourselves, but Axl isn't blameless here.  We were all eager to hear new music from him and for reasons that are still unclear he wouldn't let his fans hear it.  And Mister ID I said I still wanna hear new music from Axl and that was the reason I followed it closely.  And maybe I had my life wrapped around it, either way the mystery is still gone.  Now we have CD, we know what Axl was able to come up with without Slash and the others.  So the mystery is all gone there too.  To me anyways it's gone.

Gong

Gong wrote:

What a waste.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Gong wrote:

What a waste.

What is a waste?  His talent?  Yeah but if that is what makes him happy then so be it.

Gong

Gong wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Gong wrote:

What a waste.

What is a waste?  His talent?  Yeah but if that is what makes him happy then so be it.

The last 17 years. The refusal to reunite. For what? One album and a few lackluster tours?

Agathos
 Rep: 6 

Agathos wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yes but if diehard fans dont give a shit anymore then why should joe-average?

Good question. If die-hard fans stop caring one would expect the same for everyone else. I completely agree. But I don't see why die-hard fans should care less about new music because they downloaded the leaks for CD; I just don't see a plausible mechanism here. The die-hard fans did not get less, they got the same, albeit from a different source. The music has in no way been devalued because of the leaking. The music remains the same. If they were fans of GN'R's music before they should still be (given that the music is good).

If "die-hard" fans stop caring about GN'R and their music now, I think the mechanism is that these so-called "die-hard" fans just grow up and care less about music in general (we all tend to do), or because they are fed up with other aspects of being GN'R (there are many to choose from), rather than how they obtained the music, and mistakenly, perhaps even knowingly, attribute this novel lack of interest to the leaking.

I just find the notion that getting the music through leaks rather than official releases should turn away die-hard fans a bit absurd, perhaps because I don't see a plausible mechanism and because I personally, as a die-hard fan, couldn't give two shits where the music came from.

99 % of the so-called "die-hard" fans are adolescent and their music taste is vicarious and their dedication transient. No wonder they get bored. Being a die-hard fan requires stamina. New kids will take their place (if GN'R do the right things). The real die-hard fans don't get so easily turned away.

Board footer