You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Gnr ranked 17th in top 25 tours mid year (billboard)

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

You have to give Bon Jovi credit for sticking it out over the years as well (U2 also).  They survived the grunge period, which most 80's bands folded during.  Granted they weren't quite as popular during those years, but they were active aside from Jon's solo effort and acting gigs.  I always wondered if GNR could've gone on if they wanted to during that time.  Would THEY have stayed relevant?

honestly, I don't think so because Axl, and this isn't a slight, but he is kind of a TREND chaser imo. whereas Bon Jovi and U2 and others stayed true to their devoted hardcore fanbase. Bon Jovi were still huge during Grunge. Bed Of Roses was one of the biggest hits of 1992-1993 and their Keep The Faith album still sold over 10 million worldwide and went at least double platinum in US.

With, Axl, its like he forgets he is Axl Rose.. he is a trend starter, not a trend chaser and i feel with OMG and some other things, he was chasing that NIN type trend instead of just being himself. so a giant part of me thinks he would've tried to fit with the current landscape.. i think OMG getting so poorly received made him alter his true plans for CD.

GNR being 17th isn't good. we as fans can spin shit to sound great but this is GNR. one of the greatest bands of all time and they can't sell out a fucking show? or even get a US tour? that isn't good.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They were huge for about 5 years with just 2 original albums. Almost 20 YEARS AGO. Get real, D.

What trend was he chasing? There's not a song on CD that sounds like NIN. OMG didn't even sound like NIN. And we know IRS, TWAT, TIL and Catcher were at least as old if not older than OMG, there's no evidence he was ever making a pure industrial album.

And if takes sounding like Bon fucking Jovi to be a huge band I'd rather them be a bar band. Itmeans absolutely dick. I don't base my respect for the old era solely on how big they were.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, GNR fans tend to hold the band to a higher standard.  How can you be surprised that they have no sellouts to this point after what's gone on the past 15+ years?  Bon Jovi, U2, etc. stayed together, stayed loyal to their fans, stayed relevant, thus their monster attendance numbers.  I don't have to run through the list of grievances made by GNR over the years, but obviously that's the reason for their lower, yet still very respectable attendance numbers.

-D-

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were huge for about 5 years with just 2 original albums. Almost 20 YEARS AGO. Get real, D.

What trend was he chasing? There's not a song on CD that sounds like NIN. OMG didn't even sound like NIN. And we know IRS, TWAT, TIL and Catcher were at least as old if not older than OMG, there's no evidence he was ever making a pure industrial album.

And if takes sounding like Bon fucking Jovi to be a huge band I'd rather them be a bar band. Itmeans absolutely dick. I don't base my respect on the old era solely on how big they were.

Yes i think he was gonna do an industrial album and a shit ton of CD is Nu Metal.

so yeah, what was popular when he started working on CD? U got it, Nu Metal.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Depends on what you call Nu Metal. Is Queen Nu Metal? This I Love?

Didn't Nu Metal have a strong emphasis on no solos? I don't hear much Nu Metal on the CD at all. Sorry.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think what D is getting at, is Axl going back and incorporating all kinds of influences. Like Catcher having The Beatles/Queen influences. This I Love sounds like a Freddie Mercury track. Chinese Democracy MUST have the drum sound and feel from Smells Like Teen Spirit, so much to the point that Tom Zutaut bought a copy of Nevermind and brought it in the studio.

Axl spent 14 years trying to be everyone else, instead of just being himself - Axl mother fucking Rose.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Using influences, like all bands do, including GNR from the very start, is a lot different than "chasing trends." It's the same as when he bought those 1,300 or however many cassette tapes (which included WHAM!) to show Mike Clink what he wanted Appetite to sound like. Specifically Lynyrd Skynryd (I forget which song) that he had him listen to over and over when they recorded SCOM.

And as for it being nu metal... That's just a stupid, lazy comparison. There's a small section of Better that you could consider "Nu Metal" style, or just hardcore. But that's just ridiculous. What fucking song on CD is nu metal?

-D-

-D- wrote:

its not lazy listen to the guitar riffs.

CD is grunge
Better has nu metalish elements here n there
shacklers def
scraped

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think what you mean by nu metal, is the industrial guitars.

Which is true. Both Robin & Bucket's stuff is very industrial-tinged. That's what gives CD that technical feel, and not so much on the groovy bluesy rhythm that made up AFD & UYI.

I personally feel that's because Izzy is not there. Not Slash. I think it had to do more with it being written, not recorded.

Sorry is the only one that's not like that.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Bullshit.

What grunge songs have synths? You're basing that on an opening riff that sounds more like TOOL than Nirvana. Scraped and Shacklers are nu metal? Do you even know what the fuck nu metal sounds like? Scraped is about as funky and metal as it gets.

... industrial guitars? I'm sorry, but you're grasping for straws. The Blues, CITR, TWAT, IRS, PROSTITUTE, TIL, If The World, are industrial guitar based?

The guys in the band brought their own styles to the music and I don't see Bucket and Finck ripping off nu metal when they were around (and in the band writing) before there was such a thing called Nu Metal.

Board footer