You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think to some, anybody that loves the new band and doesn't love Slash is a axlite...maybe a closet axlite, but and axlite nonetheless.

I agree with Axlin08's  definition of Axlites and Slashites but to an extent I also agree with what Buzz just said. I find it absolutely absurd that given the choice some would prefer a Guns N' Roses with any new guitar player over Slash or Tommy over Duff(as great as Tommy is) When people say these things it leads me to believe they were never truelya GUNS N' ROSES fan but an AXL ROSE fan.  It'd be like me saying I prefer a U2 with Tom Morello on Guitars and Les Claypool on bass.  It's not me being a U2 fan, its me being a fan of Bono and choosing who I'd like to see him perform with.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think to some, anybody that loves the new band and doesn't love Slash is a axlite...maybe a closet axlite, but and axlite nonetheless.

Yeah, but that thinking comes from a slashite, or a slashite in denial, because then they know if they're labeled a slashite their opinion would be totally irrelevant... like 97% of HTGTH. 16

And Russ is in no way shape or form an Axlite. And I think throwback GNR fans can be just as bad as any "ite."

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I agree with Axlin08's  definition of Axlites and Slashites but to an extent I also agree with what Buzz just said. I find it absolutely absurd that given the choice some would prefer a Guns N' Roses with any new guitar player over Slash or Tommy over Duff(as great as Tommy is) When people say these things it leads me to believe they were never truelya GUNS N' ROSES fan but an AXL ROSE fan.  It'd be like me saying I prefer a U2 with Tom Morello on Guitars and Les Claypool on bass.  It's not me being a U2 fan, its me being a fan of Bono and choosing who I'd like to see him perform with.

I loved GNR, but I love the 2002 line up. It fits me, my taste better. And I don't need anyone to tell me if I am, or am not a fan of the band. All fans have their own preferences and predjudices. Axl appealed to me more than any other "single" band member back then. I never saw Slash as Jimmy Page's level... Maybe because he was Slash outside GNR for forever while in and after he left the band. And he never appealed to me outside AFD and a few songs on UYI. I tried, I just don't dig his playing as much. Axl was never outside GNR, he was GNR to me.

When I listen to UYI now, outside Axl's songs, Coma and Locomotive, I have absolutely zero interest with what that band would do next.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And Russ is in no way shape or form an Axlite. And I think throwback GNR fans can be just as bad.

Throwback GN'R fans? As part of the newer generation, I'm pissed as hell that I missed out on original GN'R.

I don't consider myself to be either an Axlite or Slashite. As far as criticism goes, I've definitely been more critical of Axl over the years but at the same time I also pay more attention to what he's doing. All in all it'd be nice if Axl would stop being a prick and get the reunion show on the road. The other dudes sound ready for it based on their comments the last couple years.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

I loved GNR, but I love the 2002 line up. It fits me, my taste better. And I don't need anyone to tell me if I am, or am not a fan of the band. All fans have their own preferences and predjudices. Axl appealed to me more than any other "single" band member back then. I never saw Slash as Jimmy Page's level... Maybe because he was Slash outside GNR for forever while in and after he left the band. And he never appealed to me outside AFD and a few songs on UYI. I tried, I just don't dig his playing as much. Axl was never outside GNR, he was GNR to me.

When I listen to UYI now, outside Axl's songs, Coma and Locomotive, I have absolutely zero interest with what that band would do next.

Would this not then be a prime example of what I just said? It seems you were never truely a fan of the band Guns N' Roses but rather an Axl Rose fan and whoever he decided to play with. You said it yourself, Axl IS Gn'R but had the other guys kept the name you wouldn't have followed "Guns N' Roses" the band you'd follow Axl the solo artist no?  That's my point. To many, including myself no one member ever was Guns N' Roses. It was a collective effort between the core members of  the band. Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff. That core doesn't exist anymore  so if you feel the 2002 version suits you more then is it not Axl Rose who you were the fan of and not Guns N' Roses?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I get what you're saying, and I don't mean this question with any hostility at all but; you don't think that I just follow Axl blindly do you? If I've given that impression, I certainly never meant to.

I totally get your definitions, I just don't feel I fall into them. I could list a bunch of bad choices and stupid things I think Axl's done since I first heard of him in 1987 to help if you like...

Just for the record, I participated in this discussion and that was fine, but from the very beginning, I was referring to Naltav.

Not you

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I loved the original line up. I was skeptical when Matt came along, but liked what he did on the UYI albums and tours so to me, he was Guns N' Roses' drummer. And the list goes on...

I was broken hearted as all hell when Slash left. Didn't like OMG (love it now, it grew on me), wasn't sure about the new line up after seeing the VMAs. Went to check it out for myself and (as explained in a post above) found guys I viewed to be the attitude, style and presence of Guns N' Roses.

So that's why to me, it's stayed Guns N' Roses and I don't think that needs a label.

What he said. 

I'd like to think if I didn't like what Axl came out with, with whoever he has by his side I'd be man enough to admit it.  That hasn't happened yet and despite his years of dragging us along, I'm still interested to find out what might be next.  If that makes me an Axlite, so be it.  I'm not one for labels.

And for the record, I still do support Slash, whatever might be left of VR, and certainly wouldn't mind seeing a reunion.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

Would this not then be a prime example of what I just said? It seems you were never truely a fan of the band Guns N' Roses but rather an Axl Rose fan and whoever he decided to play with. You said it yourself, Axl IS Gn'R but had the other guys kept the name you wouldn't have followed "Guns N' Roses" the band you'd follow Axl the solo artist no?  That's my point. To many, including myself no one member ever was Guns N' Roses. It was a collective effort between the core members of  the band. Axl, Slash, Izzy & Duff. That core doesn't exist anymore  so if you feel the 2002 version suits you more then is it not Axl Rose who you were the fan of and not Guns N' Roses?

Bullshit. Just because I don't view your favorite line up the same way, or share your views on GNR doesn't mean jack to whether or not I'm a fan, jarmo. I wouldn't waste a second of my time on a band I no longer liked. I just prefered Axl in the band like some prefer Izzy or still prefer Slash. It doesn't take away from what they did together, or what AFD meant to me, but I don't take it personal that they're not together anymore. You either accept it or you don't.

No, I wouldn't have followed GNR if Axl wasn't in it, because he was the most important figure in the band, imo. I would have moved on. Just like a lot of old fans moved on. I wouldn't follow around a Slash, Duff, Izzy lead GNR bitching about a reunion or Axl constantly, 20 years after the fact. If I didn't like the band I wouldn't care enough to let it be that big of a deal to me. I wouldn't have been a fan of that GNR, but I wouldn't constantly rag on them, trivialize them or try to deny them their own name, just because I'm jaded. I would've moved on.

GNR is whoever is in GNR. I'm sorry, but get over it. GNR still exists, whether you accept it or not.

He put together a band that I really dig.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Once again, spot on misterID.

I get tired of people saying this isn't Guns N' Roses, there needs to be a reunion, you're an Axl nutswinger.  Why can't people just like what they like without being criticized for it?

I guess it works both ways, who knows.

Board footer