You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

Bono wrote:

Oh dude don't think I haven't thought about it. they are playing Sydney on my birthday haha. I don't thik I can afford the flight over to Australia though. Bumming around Europe untill January is stretching it

As for tonight well I all gotta say is North America needs a fucking ake up call. I've never seen a concert crowd like the one in Athens tonight. North America sucks haha. 

As for the band... top notch. Bono in paticular is on fire.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Woot woot! Very spontaneous change of plans. U2 in Istanbul, Turkey on Monday night. I can't freaking wait. My first time there as well as U2's first time there. I'll be there for 4 days. Interesting.....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The Bono 2010 "Get On Board or Fuck Off" European Tour 16

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Wow that sounds like a good time have fun

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't know how "new" this is, but.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=11813

U2 Add Extra Australian Shows

by Tim Cashmere - September 5 2010
photo by Ros O'Gorman

U2 have added extra shows in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane as part of their upcoming 360 tour.

After selling out all previously announced shows, the band have decided to fill the rather large gaps in the tour schedule with more shows.

Tickets for the new shows are on sale on September 10. The Melbourne show goes on sale at 9am, Sydney at 1pm and Brisbane at 2pm.

All shows feature Jay-Z as the support act.

Dates are:

DECEMBER

1 - Etihad Stadium, Melbourne (sold out)
3 - Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
8 - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (sold out)
9 - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
13 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney (sold out)
14 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney
18 - Subiaco Oval, Perth (sold out)
19 - Subiaco Oval, Perth (sold out)

Bono

Bono wrote:

Down pour in Zurich the other night. The amount of rain coming down in this clip is unreal and apparently it was like this for the entire show. Show must go on as Freddie would  say.

[youtube]WpFCnhbYymQ&feature=sub[/youtube]

Bono

Bono wrote:

I was watching this clip of Jay-Z opening for U2 in New Zealand the other night and it got me thinking. It's pretty hilarious when people bitch about U2's concert tickets costing "so much" Fact is the average price for a 360 tour ticket has been about $100 give or take a few and what people forget when bitching about this is you're not just paying to see U2. U2 gets major acts to open for them.  Kings of Leon, Muse, Snow Patrol, Black Eyed Peas, Keane, Nelly Furtado, Kanye West, (all of which I've seen open). As well as  No Doubt, Oasis, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Pearl Jam,  Lenny Kravitz, Kasabian, Razorlight, Jay-Z etc etc etc......

I mean people need to realize, that when going to see U2 there's a real good chance whether you like them or not the opening band you see is gonna be an arena headlining act.  People need to take that into consideration when complaining that U2 charge too much for tickets. No other band on the planet is consistently booking huge acts as openers.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

I was watching this clip of Jay-Z opening for U2 in New Zealand the other night and it got me thinking. It's pretty hilarious when people bitch about U2's concert tickets costing "so much"

I'd missed a lot of that bitching...i'd expect to pay a big ticket price for a band like u2 - i mean they're a major act, with a massive stage set up and as you say big support too.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

U2 Use Flashing Lights To Outshine Jay-Z's Amazing Performance
By Tim Cashmere
20 hours ago (Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:23:13 +1100)

The only rapper to rewrite history without a pen, Jay-Z, stormed the stage last night at Etihad stadium before U2 took to their gigantic space station of a stage and his performance ended up being one of the most memorable of 2010.

Forced to fight to win over an at first uninterested crowd, Z’s performance was filled with the determination of a samurai and the energy of a nuclear weapon and every line he delivered was like a bomb that ruptured the audience into a state of frenzy.

Opening with ‘Run This Town’, featuring the distinctive voices of Rihanna and Kanye West (no, despite West being in Melbourne, he did not join Z on stage at all), the audience immediately took notice and despite not knowing all the words when the mic was held out to them (especially noticeable in his provocative ’99 Problems’ where only a small section of the crowd seemed to know to shout “but a bitch ain’t one!”) Z had an impressive number of the thousands of people who had shown up early whipping shirts and jackets around in the air on his insistence.

“You’ve made me feel very welcome in your city, now let me take you to mine,” he said as he launched into his mega-hit ‘Empire State Of Mind’ - easily the most recognised song in his set with previously dormant audience members leaping out of their seats to sing along at this point.

‘Young Forever’ was dedicated to “fallen soldiers, Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, Aaliyah” and thanks to the instantly recognizable Alphaville sample from their song ‘Forever Young’ (especially remembered in Australia from Youth Group’s #1 cover from 2006) the audience happily took control of the chorus from Z and his 12 piece band.

This phenomenal performance left the headliners with a problem. How can a band that repeatedly highlights their punk roots (Bono even name-checked Melbournian Richard Lowenstein, director of the Australian cult film Dogs In Space) but consistently produce inoffensive pop tunes follow the “mah-fuckin’ greatest” without coming across as twee? Well, they can’t really. They do, however, make up for it with a stage so big the roof at Etihad can’t be closed and enough lights to blind anyone within a 10 mile radius.

Opening with ‘The Return Of The Stingray Guitar’ wasn’t a way to wow fans musically. In fact, the few songs they played from their 2009 album ‘No Line On The Horizon’ were quite frankly  cringeworthy, but it wasn’t about the new songs. A U2 performance is about their hefty back catalogue of iconic tunes. ‘Mysterious Ways’, ‘I Will Follow’, ‘I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’ and ‘Where The Streets Have No Name’ more than made up for the Cuban-inspired ‘I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight’ featuring drummer Larry Mullen Jnr on the congas.

Jay-Z joined the band on stage for ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’ where he rapped a verse during what would be the bridge. The fact that U2 lack the power they once had when Bono shouted “This is not a rebel song, this is Sunday Bloody Sunday!” at Red Rocks in Colorado in the 80s paved the way for Jay-Z to bring his energy to the performance. As Z powered off stage, he screamed “”Welcome home Aung San Suu, welcome home Aung San Suu!” into the microphone, leaving Bono to awkwardly state “Welcome home Aung San Suu Kyi is exactly right.”

The pair were talking about recently freed Burmese political leader Aung San Suu Kyi who Bono perhaps a little ambitiously said that U2 fans had kept “in their thoughts and prayers” during her imprisonment.

Bono’s voice could not be flawed. He put in one hell of an effort for this tour and it is sounding stronger than it has for years. The real test was during ‘Miss Sarajevo’ where he belted out Luciano Pavarotti’s part surprisingly true to the Italian tenor’s original.

The giant “claw” stage came to life with blinding lights, rotating staircases and a 360 degree stretchy screen, but that show has to be credited to set designer Willie Williams, who has designed every U2 tour since 1982 including the bewilderingly massive (yes, even compared to this enormous tour) Zoo TV and Popmart tours.

U2 are a spectacle. Their presence in a city is a cultural event and a significant moment on the calendars of 140,000 people who bought tickets in Melbourne alone. Are they the rough and ready punk band that they claim to be? No. Not even close. They’re slick and inoffensive. They’re only just too rough for your grandmother to get into, but accessible enough for everyone else who isn’t your Delta Goodrem and Ronan Keating listening grandmother to pay their money to see.

Jay-Z might not be the city-wide event that U2 are, he might have only been listed on the ticket as “special guest” and lyrics like “I’ve got 99 problems but a bitch ain’t one” might scare off a huge chunk of would-be-fans, but when it comes down to it his power comes from his performance whereas U2 rely on a bunch of flashing lights. Put Jay-Z on a stage anywhere and watch him kill it, take U2 out of their space station and what are you left with? Not a hell of a lot.

NB: The "4 star" review is an average of 5 stars for Jay-Z and 3 for U2.

U2’s set list from Etihad Stadium, Melbourne, Australia on December 1st, 2010 was:

Return of the Stingray Guitar (Previously unreleased)
Beautiful Day (from ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, 2000)
I Will Follow (from ‘Boy’, 1980)
Get On Your Boots (from ‘No Line On The Horizon’, 2009)
Magnificent (from ‘No Line On The Horizon’, 2009)
Mysterious Ways (from ‘Achtung Baby’, 1991)
Elevation (from ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, 2000)
Until The End Of The World (from ‘Achtung Baby’, 1991)
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (from ‘The Joshua Tree’, 1987)
Mercy (previously unreleased from ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ sessions, 2004)
Bad (from ‘The Unforgettable Fire’, 1984)
In A Little While (from ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, 2000)
Miss Sarajevo (from the “Passengers” album ‘Original Soundtracks 1’, 1995)
City of Blinding Lights (from ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’, 2004)
Vertigo (from ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’, 2004)
I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight (from ‘No Line On The Horizon’, 2009)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (With Jay-Z) (from ‘War’, 1983)
Scarlet (from ‘October’, 1981)
Walk On (from ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, 2000)

One (from ‘Achtung Baby’, 1991)
Where The Streets Have No Name (from ‘The Joshua Tree’, 1987)

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (from ‘Batman Forever Original Soundtrack’, 1995)
With Or Without You (from ‘The Joshua Tree’, 1987)
Moment Of Surrender (from ‘No Line On The Horizon’, 2009)

Follow the author Tim Cashmere on Twitter.

Check out footage of U2's 360° tour at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium, December 1st, 2010 below

http://www.undercover.fm/reviews/12941- … erformance

Bono

Bono wrote:

16 Hilarious review. This is the reason why I NEVER post reviews. Good or bad they're usually pure trash. Most times I roll my eyes reading U2 reviews cause they are so over the top and full of insane praise it makes me wanna puke. This review however is the complete opposite and is clearly written by someone who seems to take issue with the fact that Jay-Z is opening for U2. Though I have nothing against jay-Z and in fact quite like him the garish over the top praise for him in this instance is funny but then you get the opinion on U2's performance from somene who's obviously a hater.

- Stingray is a 2 minute song that acts as an intro as the band plays it live while they take the stage. Hardly an opener. the house lights are still on while they play this for god's sake and it's not even a song that's been released.

- U2 have been campaigning Aung San Suu Kyi' release for years and have been speaking about it in concert since 2001 and nightly on the 360 tour with or without Jay-Z in attendence. This reviewer trys to lead people to believe Jay-Z brought this issue to U2's attention and Bono jumped on Jay's cause.  roll

- This line is pure garbage: " take U2 out of their space station and what are you left with? Not a hell of a lot.   I mean no credible music critic/reviewer would say that. The guy has an obvious predetermind dislike for U2 and what this show was going to be for him. I mean honestlya  band does not sell out stadoums world wide for 25 years based ona  fancy light show

- The news songs are down right cringe worthy? yeah that's why the No Line on the Horizon recieved a unanimous positive revies upon it's release. Magnificent, Moment of Surrender cringeworthy? 16  Get on Your Boots is actually a  kickass live tune and I'll Go Crazy has been a  highlight of the tour.

- U2 doesn't claim to be a punk band. That's what they felt they were when they started out but they aren't that stupid to claim to be one now.

Anyways I could easily  find a review of this show that expresses the exact opposite on equally ridiculous levels but it's a waste of time. Again I never post reviews cause they are for the most part trash regardless of praise or criticism, this one included.

here's U2 playing two of their new "cringe worthy" songs at 8:00 am LIVE without a "spaceship". Seems to me the crowd was left with plenty and then some 22

Board footer