You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

metallex78 wrote:

I think it's kinda funny, that further on the Axl praising Slash quote, is that he said something like "I wanted the world to love and respect him, but I watched him throw it all away" (as in by jamming with people like Michael Jackson, Slash lost love and respect)

But it's the complete opposite, Slash is a guitar hero outside of GN'R because he went on on and played with everyone and anyone.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Well shit, I've been completely out of the loop. Didn't even realize this happened, haha. That's pretty awesome. Hopefully it is step 1 to a reunion.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl would never toss Tommy aside. I'm sorry but I just don't believe that.

If Duff comes back, Richard gets fired and Duff plays rhythm guitar. Watch and see. Everyone knows Izzy won't ever commit full-time to a stadium tour. He would be a recurring special guest, probably like Steven.

I know people would hate it (I wouldn't, i'd fuckin' love it), but here's your reunion.

Axl (frontman/lead vocals)
Slash (lead guitar 1)
Ron (lead guitar 2)
Duff (rhythm guitar)
Tommy (bass)
Frank (drums)
Dizzy (keys 1)
Chris (keys 2)

with occasional special guest stars Izzy (rhythm guitar) and Steven (drums)

And you know why that would happen? Because it's Axl's show and Axl's name and Axl calls the shots and that's how Axl wants it. 3 guitarists and 2 keyboardists. If Slash doesn't like it, Axl will have no problem leaving DJ on there, and it's obvious Duff & Izzy don't mind performing with Axl without Slash.

Why would they need Ron? If a reunion happens, the Chinese Democracy stuff should be dropped from the set. There is a wealth of old material that people want to see them play together again. Slash can play all of the lead parts on the old material, so there is no need for a second lead guitarist.

Meanwhile, I hope Slash gets a chance to see those videos of Axl and Duff. Axl's voice sounds incredible right now. With his singing style, you would have never imagined he could sound this damn good at almost 50 years old. It's almost like he sold his soul to Satan or something. 16  It'd be nice if Slash realizes that the singer he needs isn't Myles Kennedy or any of these other hacks that have auditioned for him. Make the call, apologize for whatever Axl thinks you did wrong and get on with the reunion. Axl is a prick, everyone knows it. But Axl also wasn't completely stoned out of his mind back in the day, which indicates to me that he wasn't completely in the wrong on the situation. We know he'll never budge on his stance. Slash seems like the more laid back guy, so he should budge a bit.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like I stated before, Axl wants 3 guitarists, and it's been stated (don't remember who) that he lobbied hard for it even back in the old days. He felt the songs were more duplicated closer to their studio originals with 3 guitarists on stage, rather than 2. Plus like I said, Axl wants it that way, and Axl calls the shots. Ron stays, period.

The biggest problem with the Axl & Slash thing is it was easy with Izzy, Duff, Gilby, Steven & Matt, it probably won't be as easy with Slash. Axl would probably need alot of time to mull over it, he'd probably have to be eased in to it and feel really really comfortable about it.

But it would probably be easier for him if Izzy, Duff and possibly Steven were on the tour to handle Slash for Axl, allowing Axl to just be himself.

Something tells me for as reluctant as they might be about Ron, Tommy, Frank & Chris touring with them, they'd probably make friends with them very quickly. All of the old guys are incredibly likeable, and frankly so are the new guys. Everyone got along with Izzy, and got along with Duff even more.

I don't see any tension. Everyone would know up front that Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff are gonna get a bigger slice of the pie than the rest.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Something tells me for as reluctant as they might be about Ron, Tommy, Frank & Chris touring with them, they'd probably make friends with them very quickly. All of the old guys are incredibly likeable, and frankly so are the new guys. Everyone got along with Izzy, and got along with Duff even more.

I don't see any tension.

Except for the fact that Axl is a psychopath, right? 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but he discovered Lithium like Cobain. 22

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, but he discovered Lithium like Cobain. 22

Uh oh, suicide watch? 18

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Cobain mixed his with heroin.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If there was a reunion (or just a show) I'm sure it would be made up of several current GNR members.

...eh, the more I think about it, I just don't see Axl ditching Tommy, Chris, Ron or even, at this point, DJ - seeing their relationship seems to be pretty strong. I guess I just don't see a reunion happening period. Which makes me think if there was any kind of reunion it would be a one off show, maybe just a couple of songs if Axl and Slash ever bury the hatchet. But seriously, even if they did talk again, it doesn't mean they'd play together.  Axl seems very comfortable right now with his level of control and how he goes about his shit, despite what anyone thinks. I don't think he'll change no matter what the situation, or who was in the band or any amount of money on the table.

See, the moment I start even considering the possibily of a reunion, reality jumps up and squashes it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

See, the moment I start even considering the possibily of a reunion, reality jumps up and squashes it.

Yeah. The personal stuff can be patched up, but the business aspect of it is irretrievably broken. Slash/Duff/Izzy won't rejoin GN'R unless they are given the same level of control they had in the Appetite days. Why in the hell would Axl give up his 100% control for a reunion? His only incentive is money, which isn't an issue for him. The main incentive could be credibility in the music world and the possibility of a great album with the old members? Maybe, but I don't think he gives a crap at this point.

The only way a full-blown reunion will happen is if Slash/Duff/Izzy are willing to be Axl's employees. Fat fucking chance of that ever happening. This all goes back to their rather idiotic decision to sign over their rights to the name so long ago. Who gives a crap if he threatened to quit? Don't give up what you helped create. If they had kept their rights, he would quit and eventually a reunion would happen after a revolving door of singers. But by giving him 100% control, there's no way he's going to budge on the "partnership vs. employee" issue. Maybe the drugs hurt their decision-making process at the time. Or maybe they were just naive. Or it was probably a combination of the two.

The shitty thing for the fans is Axl got the huge recording contract for Chinese Democracy thanks to the GN'R brand, but what did he do with it? He dicked around for almost 15 years after the band officially broke up. I have a feeling if the guys hadn't signed their rights over to him that they would have done some pretty good stuff during that 15 year period under the GN'R name with the big label contract. And eventually the fans would get to see Axl come back for a reunion.

Board footer