You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: DJ Ashba does to the TIL solo what Bucket did to Nightrain

-D- wrote:

That is make it better.

I can't explain exactly what DJ does different, but when I hear him play that solo, I love it and it really hits me... On the studio version with Robin I absolutely hate it and it ruins the song.

So what is it exactly? am i nuts? Is my Robin bias leaking in or does DJ do enough to alter it enough that i love it when he does it?

I remember Nightrain being the one song the 2002 version of the band did where even I took notice and said "WOW" that fucking murders the original.

so what do you think?

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

D...  sounds like your a DJ fan.

IMHO . The first few vids  were fitting. He was playing robins parts way off. DJ's playing has evolved and he looks comfy playing, He sounds really good.,and the slash parts are close. I expect things will only get better for him.
The CD intro with the red screen is awesome!

Welcome to the club.

EDIT: btw bucket rocked the fu@k out of nightrain! Ron recently stepped up and nailed it way better the recorded version.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think DJ plays it better as well

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

DJ certainly seems to be playing it better than he did the first few attempts he had.  The first couple of goes at it were bloody woeful, the poor bastard it must have been embarassing.

Perhaps when he decided to stop trying to replicate Robin's solo perfectly it became easier for him.  He seems to have put his own style/stamp on it now and has no problems.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

While Bucket and Ron shred those modes faster...i personally dig the feel of the way slash plays it...didn't realise how much until he started playin it again this year and I was like "oh yeah that's how it goes". The firework versions are fun too...but there's somethign about the straight up version that kills.

As for TIL, not sure...i've never hated the studio version, it's painful but suited the painfull mood of the song I thought. Although DJ seemed to be rocking everything live too...so i'm sure his version is also cool, maybe I should listen to some more boots.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im mainly referencing the Reading 2010 TIL. I guess its less sloppy and herky jerky and not so bend heavy. Seems DJ takes Robin's great melody and builds around it without incorporating all the sloppiness and the bend fest.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

DJ's version is far from better. Like his intro to Jungle; it's his own, but not better.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

It's obvious that someone (Axl) came and said to DJ: "Stop trying to copy it, you're never gonna nail it! Do it your way! Make it your own!"

DJ's first attempts at it was awefull, I had to fastforward when watching those early clips. Couldn't watch it!

I'm not a guitar-guy, but imo Robin's version is great, it's soulfull and fits the lyrics like a fuckin' glove! The desperate, sad and straight forward lyrics of the song needs a solo that "cries the same way", if that makes sense...(?)
smile

When they recorded the song, I'd bet that Axl had various versions from the different guitarists. But he decided to scrap those versions that were prolly more clean and "easy on the ear" for Robin's version that cries straight from the heart! The art comes first!

With that said, DJ's version nowadays is pretty great, but different...

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:

Robin's first full bending note should always be a part of the solo...i dig DJ but i like robin's solo better...i am not sure though robin could play his own solo perfectly every night...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I originally never liked Robins solo but now its grown on me to become one of my highlights on the album. Its supposed to be expressing pain and loss, and I think its one of the best solos of all time in capturing a broken heart, to me its genious.

DJs version is much improved to his earlier attempts, but still nowhere near as powerful as the original.
Dont like his IRS solo either, Robins was raw and gritty as hell, DJs is too chirpy. I'm pleased he is doing his own thing though, it works much better for the performance instead of struggling to copy Robins unusual sound.

Board footer