You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: New Tommy Tune

mickronson wrote:

I dont like it one bit, its boring.  Rape me a new if you like, but this is not anything like GNR past present future afaic.  Its just a Tommy song. And I don't like anything he has done, ever.

Sky Dog wrote:

sounds more like Dylan and Paul Westerberg...not bad company, but not everyone's taste for sure. You like what you like.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
Tommy Stinson wrote:

My Peoples,

Thanks to you, we raised over $50,000 in my auction to help the Timkatec schools in Haiti.  As a token of appreciation, I give to you "One Man Mutiny."  You can watch the video, and download the MP3 for free.  I can hardly express how much this has all meant to myself and to those involved.  It's all especially impressive considering the current world economic climate.

"One Man Mutiny" was inspired by a conversation between our tour manager Del James, Richard Fortus, and myself somewhere in Ireland.  The video is Dizzy Reed, Richard, and I recording the song live to my laptop in the restaurant of the Conrad Hotel in Brussels, Belgium.  Thanks to Richard & Dizzy for helping to make the song what it is - well done, men!

Hmm was it stinson that got so upset at a late gig in dublin?

jamester

jamester wrote:
Tommy Stinson wrote:

"One Man Mutiny" was inspired by a conversation between our tour manager Del James, Richard Fortus, and myself somewhere in Ireland.   .

Dublin is the primate and capital city of Ireland!
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=176425

Aussie wrote:

Stinson to quit Guns N' Roses?

Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson is considering his future with the band after a catastrophic show in Dublin tonight during which the group left the stage for almost 45 minutes at the behest of frontman Axl Rose.

Sputnikmusic witnessed Stinson in a heated argument with road manager Del James following the show, which saw the Los Angeles band take to the stage an hour and a half late before leaving after just four songs.

Frontman Axl Rose had threatened to leave when a plastic bottle was thrown on stage at the beginning of 'Welcome to the Jungle,' and stormed off stage when a second was thrown at the conclusion of 'Mr. Brownstone.'

Stinson was heard to shout: "That's my fucking family up there and he put us in danger again.

"He can't keep doing this. Nothing happened this time, but next time we might not be so lucky.

"This has to stop."

The band returned to stage after a long hiatus, during which a third of the paying audience left, and performed almost a full set. They finally wrapped up at 1am, an hour and half later than the venue's scheduled curfew.

I bet the song came out of this

jamester

jamester wrote:

***one man mutiny***

I can hear  every thing you say
I just don't give a damn
you say you've got 10 good reasons
I bet I got         (at least one you don't have)?
I'm not gonna rest until I'm free you phony empathy
look what its done to you
you think you got the good life
but you aint fooling me

I'm one man who don't think like you
I'm one man who has to see
one man to stand up to you
one man is just like me
one man mutiny
one man mutiny

I don't wanna  talk to much
don't tell me where to go
you say you'd been to hell before
is that your pretty face  outside the door
I don't see all the  the colors of
the rainbows there shooting at
truth be told I need a new pair of eyes to see
all the colors that might lax

I'm one man who don't  think like you
one man who has to see
one man is just like me
one man mutiny
one man mutiny

you claim to know whats best for all of us
you just don't remember why
They all just sit there and stare
and try so hard   not to run and hide

I'm one man who don't  think like you
one man who has to see
one man is just like me
one man mutiny
one man mutiny

Any other ideas?  help with the lyrics would be awesome 22
The lyric draft is in the video but hard to make out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I can hear  every thing you say
I just don't give a damn
you say you've got 10 good reasons
I bet I got about 10 you ain't ever had
I'm not gonna rest until I'm free you phony empathy
look what its done to you
you think you got the good life
but you aint fooling me
--------------------

For as easily as that song could be misconstrued to be about Axl... it could be just as easily about producers, handlers, fans, media, industry big wigs, etc.

mickronson wrote:

I dont like it one bit, its boring.  Rape me a new if you like, but this is not anything like GNR past present future afaic.  Its just a Tommy song. And I don't like anything he has done, ever.

I completely disagree. When I hear it, I very much hear TOTAL shades of past GN'R songs. Lies songs, and You Ain't The First come immediately to mind. Izzy songs. To say you don't like a bluesy, Dylan-esque song like this is to say you don't like Guns N' Roses imho.

This tune is more Guns N' Roses, than just about anything on CD, with maybe the exception of a TWAT or This I Love.

Totally disagree with you. Not only is it not boring, it's practically a 1989-91 era GN'R song.

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl are you listening? Release a fucking album NOW, and don't be afraid to let Tommy, Ron, Dizzy & DJ take the lead.

I've been saying this for so long. Axl has become the weak link in this band based on the fact he's the one guy who's unwilling to move forward. Imagine what great stuff these guys could do as a band without Axl Rose.  At the very least we'd get new material from them as a unit.

Axlin08 wrote:

Couldn't this technically be a new Guns N' Roses song? It's performed by all members of the band.

Nope because as much as people will argue it,  these are just hired musicians who work for Guns N.... errr... Axl Rose.  Technically Velvet Revolver could be a Guns N' Roses song ya know what I mean?  I just don't see for the life of me how Axl will ever relinquish any power to any of these guys. There's no way in hell Tommy writes a song and the other guys play on it and Axl allows it to be listed as a Gn'R song. His loss.

I know what you mean, but you're completely playing semantics. VR is not GN'R. They don't have the name and they're not presenting themselves as Guns N' Roses. Axl is. Tommy is. Richard is. Dizzy is, etc. They are Guns N' Roses. Period. If you believe the band ceased to exist in 1990, 1991, or 1993 or hell, 2002. Doesn't matter. Guns N' Roses will always be where that brand name is at. That's the difference. VR is VR. New GN'R is actually - GN'R. Just in it's current form.

And personally, this song is very much a Guns N' Roses-spirited song, at least on an Izzy-type form. If the current GN'R were to go back to a Illusion/Spaghetti-era Guns again, I could very well see this song fitting in that era of the band.

You say "Ballad of Death" is the best thing to happen in Guns since the old era. I say "One Man Mutiny" is. I'd like to see it on the next album, and songs like it, except with more Axl, because as much as I love a Tommy-lead, like with Izzy & Duff, Axl is still the frontman/lead singer.

As much as I love Bucket, I hope the next GN'R album and future ones gets back to the old band's roots as a bluesy hard rock band. G n' F'n' R's, and not some Rob Zombie-lite/NIN-lite rock.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but how do you get a decent album under those unachieveable circumstances? Why waste a perfectly good resource in Tommy Stinson, if you make requirements that 'Rose' most be credited on the song for it to be GN'R.

Tommy's put nearly as much time in with GN'R as Duff McKagen. He's probably got more catalog work in too, we just haven't heard it.

I can get what you're saying if it says Ashba, Thal, and/or Ferrer.

But if it's missing Rose, and it says Reed, Stinson, Fortus, or Pitman... at this point those guys have to be considered just as legit. Reed's got two decades in, far more than any of the original players other than Axl, Stinson & Pitman over a decade and the inception of the new band project, and Fortus nearly a decade.

It's gotta count for something. We HAVE to move on sometime. What you're saying to me is unacceptable. One minute Axl needs to relinquish control and branch out and let the new guys gel and be themselves be their own Guns N' Roses, and the next minute, no new GN'R song is legit unless it has Axl's name on it.

For me that doesn't work, and it's dishonest. And to be completely honest, several CD songs probably only had Axl slap lyrics and melodies on it after the other guys actually wrote it. About the only song that came across as Axl's baby was This I Love. CD was a Josh Freese song, Shackler's was a Bucket/Brain song, Better was a Robin song, Street of Dreams was a Tommy/Dizzy song, If The World was a Chris song, TWAT was a Paul/Dizzy song, Catcher was a Paul song, Scraped was a Bucket song, Riad was a Tommy song (shockingly), Sorry was a Bucket/Brain song, I.R.S. was a Paul/Dizzy song, Madagascar was a Chris song (which he admitted to in a few interviews), and Prostitute was a Paul song.

It's not that i'm not giving Axl credit. But there was far more force, and the band members admitted that they credited alot if not most of that stuff with themselves, then Axl would come in and make it "something special", by adding his touch.

But the core creation was not Axl.

The truth is THIS is Guns N' Roses post-1994. Whoever the band is at the given moment IS the band. To view Axl as the main force is short-sighted. If anything Axl's just the 'Executive Producer' that oversees his staff of writers and producers, and has final executive decision over direction.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd accept a Tommy song as GNR. smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Nah dude It's not me who's made these rules. It's Axl Fucking Rose who has made it this way. Had things been different early on yeah I could accept it but who's gonna accept it now? I mean my god a lot of fans  see the possibility of Ron leaving as very real so the revolving door continues. No this isn't a group of guys that can write a song and have it be called Gn'R without Axl's contributions. And I don't care how long a  guy has been in a  band and how much catelogue credits he has if it never sees the light of day it means fuck all. As great as Tommy is I'm sorry to say he is NOT more Guns N' Roses than Duff. Not even close. And no offence dude but if you think anything on CD wasn't "directed"  by Axl you're in denial. NOTHING was created on that album without him guiding it in the direction he wanted. If it was then what the hell was the point of the whole thing and why did the original band break up?  Just so other guys coudl write the material? I highly doubt it.  This is how Axl is and how he was becoming in the old band so no I don't believe the CD songs were largly written by other guys and Axl came in and slapped on some lyrics to make it something special.  I believe 100% the songs were his creation the way Estranged and November Rain were. Then guys come in and write parts to compliment the song and compliment what Axl's trying to get across. To say the core creation of CD was not Axl is almost laughable at this point dude. If that's the case then we waited fucking almost 15 years for the guy to write some very medicore lyrics.  That's pretty sad and so far from the truth in my opinion.  Nothing is done in Gn'R music wise without Axl's stamp of approval.

I'd love to hear these guys make an album but to call it Guns N' Roses woudl be so fucked. Like I said how on earth can it be called Guns N' Roses without Slash, Duff, Izzy or Axl Rose? It'd be like U2 putting out an album that Bono, Larry, the Edge and Adam had nothing to do with.  Might as well change the name of Guns N' Roses to Menudo if this happens.

I hear you, but I don't really see where we sit any different with this prospect in 2010, than we did in 1998. The same logistics apply.

I mean, I see your point of having Axl have some sort of participation on every future song to give it GN'R legitimacy, and to be honest you probably won't have to worry, 'cause Axl's so fuckin' hyper-paranoid about over fuckin' producing every goddamn detail of a record, that 'Rose' is guaranteed to be on every song, so if a new album happens it'll keep being legit.

I see, and respect the contributions of the old band, and yes, as long as this music stays locked away in Axl's vault of music and cursed antiques, it's never gonna mean jack shit.

But to me, I don't know why you even bothered to follow Guns N' Roses after 1994, assuming that you just look at this charade as 'Axl Rose' solo. Not that I don't disagree with you, i've felt the same, but for different reasons. Not because the players aren't there, but because the sound & feel ain't there. In other words, if new Guns were to get away from that industrial crap and go back to being traditional Guns N' Roses, I would feel anything they produced would be just as legit held up to the old band.

But keep something in mind, technically the ONLY original members of Guns N' Roses is Axl & Izzy.

So if "Down By The Ocean" is credited as (Stradlin/Stinson/Pitman) is it gonna be a Guns N' Roses song? Or is "McKagan's Revenge" (McKagan/Stinson/Reed) not Guns N' Roses, because all three were replacement players?

Sky Dog wrote:

The lyrics look very accurate JR....you made the right change on that one line to.

Board footer