You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Public apology to bono

Stepvhen wrote:

sure thing

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

So, russ, that's his way of saying no, but he doesn't have the balls to say he doesn't want to knock it off.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
bigbri wrote:

So, russ, that's his way of saying no, but he doesn't have the balls to say he doesn't want to knock it off.

Huh? What? If I wanted to continue would I not have made a post? Jeeeze man, chill out

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Well to try and get this thread back on somewhat of a U2 theme.

I went and saw U2 here in Perth last Saturday night.  I was actually pretty wary about it since I had seen some clips on the news the week or so before fom either the Sydney or Melbourne show.  The short grab of the show they played both my wife and I both said "he sounds terrible".

Anyhow, the show we got was bloody good and I didn't really detect any problems with his voice either, it sounded great.  He interacted with the crowd a lot, made a few jokes about the English cricketers who are over here for the Ashes at the moment.  He even likened himself to David Boon (the keg on legs) which got the crowd chanting Boonie Boonie - was pretty funny.  For those that don't know Boonie was an Australian Batsman (cricketer) back in the 80's.  But his biggest claim to fame was breaking Doug Walters record (another Aussie cricketer) for the number of beers consumed on a flight from Sydney to London.  Walters record was 44 and Boonie drank 52. (These are proper cans of beer too 375mls and full strength ~4.8% alcohol.  Not your little 355mls cans around 3.5%-4%you girls get in the USA 16 )

http://www.thefanatics.com/content.php?id=330

I thought the whole Claw setup looked very impressive.  Although it didn't appear as though the used all the ramps and walkways anywhere near as much as I thought they would.  They predominantly seemed to stay near the centre, together.  Maybe I'm used to Axl and Co. continually pacing all around every area of the stage.

The crowd really got involved too with some of the songs which really helped.  There is nothing better than a whole stadium chanting/singing along to songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have no Name etc.

The only downer bit for me was the song they finished on, Moment of Surrender (I had to look this song up after, I never really listened much to the No Line on the Horizon album).  It just felt like he could have finished the concert on a more universally popular number with full crowd interaction.  But that aside I thought it was a great gig and would go see them again.  He had seen them once before on the Popmart tour back in 1998 so I wasn't a total U2 live virgin.

This was the setlist:

1.Return Of The Stingray Guitar
2.Beautiful Day
3.I Will Follow
4.Get On Your Boots
5.Magnificent
6.Mysterious Ways
7.Elevation
8.Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)
9.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Movin' On Up (snippet)
10.North Star
11.Pride (In The Name Of Love)
12.In A Little While
13.Miss Sarajevo
14.City Of Blinding Lights
15.Vertigo
16.Crazy Tonight / Relax (snippet) / Two Tribes (snippet)
17.Sunday Bloody Sunday
18.Scarlet
19.Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

First Encore
20.One
21.Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
22.Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

Second Encore
23.With Or Without You
24.Moment of Surrender

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it Aussie. yeah the shows I saw on the Euro leg the band stuck to the center of the stage far more than they did on the North American leg in 2009. Bono for sure and I think maybe that has a lot to do with his back injury and surgery mid 2010 but who knows.

As for ending with Moment of Surrender they always end their shows with a song off the newest album.

Zoo TV  - Love is Blindness/ Can't help falling in love
Popmart - Most often it was "Wake Up Deadman"
Elevation - Walk On
Vertigo - Yaweh/"40"
360 - Moment of Surrender

So yeah I hear yeah but it is a cool closer I think and I like how they switch it up and really treat each tour as a different era in time rather than end with the same song every night on every tour ya know.  Plus in my opinion it's a great song.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Found his little cricketing analogy speech.  Won't mean much to those of you that don't know much about cricket.

I didn't know Bono that he typically played a song from their most recent album as the closer.  That's a cool sort of idea.  I agree it's good when bands try and change their setlists up a bit.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Oh yeah a couple of other points, the support act was Jay Z - man I really hate that shit!!! Fortunately I didn't have to endure too much of it as we intentionlly got there later then went off to find drinks while that was on.

The other comment would be it's nice to go to a concert where there is a shit load of eye candy for a change.  Much more to look at compared to lots of the metal/rock type gigs I usually go to.  tongue

Board footer