You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

Sky Dog wrote:

As silly as this sounds, Britney just tanked her ass off at the vma's and her new single is flying up the charts....it doesn't matter...the key is to get a fucking radio friendly, good single out there. Axl will always have press and as soon as Chinese is released, he will have press. Lots of it.

and Commy, personally, I see absolutely no Cobain influence in the main stream rock today. Call me crazy but most of the lead singers sound like Layne Staley rip offs...I hear more AIC influence than anything right now. People can't rip off Axl because no one can sound like him. Think about it. His voice is unique.:lol:

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

no one is making you read it (HTGTH).   at least the folks there support the band which is a lot more than we can say about you.  you just want to live in 1988 all over again, and you spend every day trolling GnR boards because it hurts your little feelings that GnR still goes on without your heros.   yea real fuckin cool man!

It's not about living in 1988.

What exactly are we supposed to "get onboard" to ?

The fact that they don't release albums ? The fact that they can't finish tours without having the plug pulled, or cancelling shows for absolutely no reason ? The fact that Axl can't keep his word when he says he will keep his fans updated ? The ongoing lies and prolonged silence ?? The years and years of constant disappointments and let-downs ??

Yeah, man. That sounds like a real good thing that we got going.

bba

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Excellent point. I don't think I could name one person who has named Axl as an influence. Hell, even his peers weren't influenced by him.

M. Shadows.  Huge Axl influence there.  If you watch any A7X shows, you are bound to find him, or another of the band, wearing a GNR shirt.  He's listed Axl as an influence before. 

People need to realize, greatness doesn't happen overnight.  It takes a while for people to get the respect they deserve, and it doesn't help when the world is still waiting on Axl to show his worth again.  I think in the years to come you will see more singers influenced by Axl hit the market.  It has only been 20 years since GNR started to make it. 

Cobain is an exception, because he was more of a fad.  GNR luckily weren't nearly like Nirvana were.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

But Shadows doesn't sound like Axl or even write like Axl.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Could very well be right about Layne being the influence instead of Cobain. Certainly would make for better songs. But Nirvana blew the door open and made the grunge trend really happen. I hear a lot of post-grunge in modern rock, and if not for Cobain perhaps grunge wouldn't have been so big, and the exposure AIC had would've been less and you wouldn't see that grunge influence.

That really rambled and doesn't make nearly as much sense as it does in my head.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I'll take Axl up there with the greats any day of the week.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think he matches with the greats

look at the legacy he has left with only 4 albums of orig material...and when they were still active gnr was the biggest and baddest band around, just afd alone deserves to grant those guys all legendary status

I never used to think so but i do now....its just sad what it has become but i dont think it tarnished what he accomplshed back in the 80's and 90's

Neemo wrote:

I think he matches with the greats

look at the legacy he has left with only 4 albums of orig material...and when they were still active gnr was the biggest and baddest band around, just afd alone deserves to grant those guys all legendary status

I never used to think so but i do now....its just sad what it has become but i dont think it tarnished what he accomplshed back in the 80's and 90's

Exactly, Karma for you!   Can't judge his past based on his present, it doesn't erase how he wrote the songs, performed the songs and how may records their albums sold and still selling, how Axl Rose is as common of a name as any of the other greats, Axl made his mark in history, if that doesn't put one in legendary status then I don't know what does.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

And when you talk about front men in rock bands, how many other are up there with Axl? To me, there is Axl, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, Paul Stanley and maybe few others. He is in a league of his own.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

But Shadows doesn't sound like Axl or even write like Axl.

You can clearly see some influences from Axl in both the way he writes and the way he sounds.  Sure, he's not trying to copy Axl, but you really can't tell me this guy has not been influenced by him at all.

Board footer