You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Chinese Democracy official reviews thread

jamester wrote:

Posted for the "Alternate Artwork" 16

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/ … -mind.html

*   Vanity Fair
    * VF Daily
Music
Fill Axl’s Chinese Democracy Bread Basket, Win Peace of Mind [UPDATED]
by Hamish Robertson
November 24, 2008, 10:21 AM
HRGNRchinesedemocracy-thumb-220x219.jpg
Here’s my Photoshopped cover-cum-“visual review” of the record.

Before Nirvana changed everything, no band left its mark on my 11-year-old self more than Guns N’ Roses. It is thus with great sadness—and little surprise—that I found their long-awaited follow up, Chinese Democracy, to be an absolutely catastrophic failure. Removing my headphones, I looked for solace in the album’s artwork, only to be disappointed again.

After the iconic, before-Ed-Hardy-ruined-everything hard-rock tattoo-art cross of Appetite for Destruction, the illustrated tortured soul making his mark on history of Use Your Illusion, and the metaphor-to-be of The Spaghetti Incident?, I had at the very least expected something vaguely interesting from Chinese Demoracy. Alas, no. It's a rusty bike leaning against a wall with an empty baguette basket. And it’s not even the “baguette basket” Axl sported on their 1992 tour.

In the spirit of bastardizing images with the help of Photoshop, this is an open call to VF Daily readers to ’shop your own additions to the Democracy cover, and email them to us at vfdaily@vf.com. The winner may or may not receive a pair of earplugs.

Right click the artwork below to save it, and get 'shoppin’.
GNRchinesedemocracy-1.jpg
SUBMISSIONS

Fabrice, New York:
FABchinesedemocracy-1.jpg

Mike, New York:
gnr-flaming-money.jpg

Julian, New York:
GNRchinesedemocracy-dustbin.jpg

Gabe, New York:
oscardemocracy.jpg

John, Lakeville, Connecticut:
GNR-atchley.jpg

Michael, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:
GNR-kilroy.jpg

John, Tampa, Florida:
GnR-15-year-booger.jpg

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The one with 'The Grouch' is the best one. 14

Sadly, it's a shame that CD gets this kind of treatment. Let's be honest, it's not the quality of the album. It's a very good album. But because it didn't return the band to it's roots, or no Slash, or didn't save rock, or whatever people were circle jerkin' to for a decade.... it's a pile of shit.

It certaintly has a pile of clusterfuck-ey problems, and cost WAY too much money and WAY too much time to make - but a basket of shit? No way man, There Was A Time alone is probably one of the best recordings in history, and certaintly under the Guns N' Roses banner.

jmo

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah reviews like this one piss me off.

Just to say it's an "absolutely catastrophic failure" and not go into any detail of why he thinks that is really annoying.

While the album is a different exerience from original GNR, I think there's some really amazing peformances and some great songs on the album.

I mean songs like TIL, Madagascar and TWAT are very very beautiful songs I think....so to say an album that contains those songs is an artistic  failure (and that's what he's talking about given he isn't talking sales - he's giving his reaction to the songs) is just stupid to me.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Is this from 2008?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The one with 'The Grouch' is the best one. 14

Sadly, it's a shame that CD gets this kind of treatment. Let's be honest, it's not the quality of the album. It's a very good album. But because it didn't return the band to it's roots, or no Slash, or didn't save rock, or whatever people were circle jerkin' to for a decade.... it's a pile of shit.

It certaintly has a pile of clusterfuck-ey problems, and cost WAY too much money and WAY too much time to make - but a basket of shit? No way man, There Was A Time alone is probably one of the best recordings in history, and certaintly under the Guns N' Roses banner.

jmo

Agree completely

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah reviews like this one piss me off.

Just to say it's an "absolutely catastrophic failure" and not go into any detail of why he thinks that is really annoying.

While the album is a different exerience from original GNR, I think there's some really amazing peformances and some great songs on the album.

I mean songs like TIL, Madagascar and TWAT are very very beautiful songs I think....so to say an album that contains those songs is an artistic  failure (and that's what he's talking about given he isn't talking sales - he's giving his reaction to the songs) is just stupid to me.

The way i've seen it for years, is new GN'R does the best ballads, and VR does the best rockers.

50/50

Board footer