You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm not a huge UYI fan, since I think you have to select between the songs, and I'm not a fan of this eclectic records. But hey, CD is better than the UYIs? Well, personal tastes differs, but one thing is sure: you can't get the UYIs for the price of a cheeseburger, while CD worth just as much. That says it all.

CD could have been a good album (the lack of great ideas wouldn't let it become great), but the insecurity and the zillion mistakes made it a mediocre and forgettable record that even the band played less and less by every show. Enjoy it, if you like it, but it's time to return to sanity.

johndivney wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

but it's time to return to sanity.

what
never!

OT - as ever some weird opinions itt - PTU/DTJ/So Fine/RNDTH/Dust n Bones/14 Years fucking kill Bad Obsession/Yesterdays & The Garden
Sorry/TiL r like two of the best 3 r 4 songs on CD

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Are you a musician yourself, Monkey?

Yes, although non-professionally, it's more of a side hobby for me.

I thought so. I seem to recall you mentioning it some time ago.

I think maybe that's why you're having problems explaining your argument regarding CITR vs Breakdown. Or more correctly, why someone can't seem to understand what you're talking about.

Guess it's kinda like explaining why two houses could be similar without being identical on the surface....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You must really hate me then - I'm not all that impressed with Snakepit either.  At least I love TWAT.  I can't say I even like any Snakepit songs.

Well at least that's consistant anyway. Like if you don't count snakepit as like slash's parts in GNR, and you don't count chinese as like Axl's in old gnr. I don't agree but at least it makes sense in terms of it's internal logic.

Anyways...Hate is a strong word for it - let's just say we have pretty different musical tastes! haha...although i think the thing with GNR fans is - as different as we are - odds are we'd prob get on fine in real life - and we do both like the early albums...

I just feel sorry for you not enjoying VR, snakepit, Chinese Democracy and all the stuff I do 14 19

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm not a huge UYI fan, since I think you have to select between the songs, and I'm not a fan of this eclectic records. But hey, CD is better than the UYIs? Well, personal tastes differs, but one thing is sure: you can't get the UYIs for the price of a cheeseburger, while CD worth just as much. That says it all.

The price of CD is not an indicator in its quality, at least in my mind.  The REASON it's so cheap is because Best Buy vastly overrated a number of things.  The quality of the album would rank far below the fact that people don't buy ROCK albums anymore.  I'm sure they also expected some sort of a promotional effort from the label and the band.  They got neither.  So they bought over 1.5 million copies of an album that wasn't promoted properly and they're the ONLY store who carries it in the US.  Obviously they had a lot more leftover than they had planned, 3 years into the game.  So that's the reason for the discount in price. 

People can continue to say that it failed to sell because it's a shitty album, but you can't discount that there were a multitude of reasons for the albums poor performance.  There's plenty of crap out there today that sells great because it's packaged and promoted properly, and pushed down everyone's throat.  That doesn't mean they're GREAT albums.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

People still buy Greatest Hits. People bought a shitload of the new Metallica and AC/DC album. BB's only mistake was that they thought the public would accept CD as a true GN'R album. They didn't. But a great album would have found its way to the audience with such a huge brand like Guns N' Roses. But you can't win new fans without powerful singles. It's even worse if you don't have at least one good single. Axl didn't have any. He hasn't done any promo to make it worse. The third way could have been succeeding with a concept album. It's not a concept album, but a mess. It's really an album to forget.

I agree that quantity doesn't mean quality. But GN'R is such a huge brand that itself sells millins. To be honest, I think ALL the CD copies were bought by old fans, who didn't think and the name power worked for them. There isn't a single new fan @ the boards. There isn't any. It's been 2 and a half year. Nothing shows clearer that this album wasn't good enough and tanked.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CD in no universe has 'great singles'.

Gimme some of that crack, 'cause that shit has got to be all-time.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

People still buy Greatest Hits. People bought a shitload of the new Metallica and AC/DC album. BB's only mistake was that they thought the public would accept CD as a true GN'R album.

I do think that's a big factor for sure.

I think everyone in classic GNR was important, but there's no doubting that the most iconic parts of the magic for regular people were Axl and Slash. So pretty much people want that. T

That said, Axl's star power was huge in the day, and he is the singer...which even though I love guitar...the singer is pretty much what most people lock onto and identify....so I tend to think with the proper backing he'd be able to convince a great deal of the fan base to follow him....but I'd say you'd have to work overtime to achieve that - like you are starting behind the 8 ball having no slash - it's not impossible but it's harder.

I think you'd need truck loads of press to really push the album into people's minds, and as we know...not only didn't that happen but pretty much nothing media related happened.

Contrast it with something like AC/DC. When Black Ice came out my local music store was basicly carpeted in AC/DC logos...at my corner newsstand every magazine or paper I opened was all about interviews with Brian and Angus...they're on tv...the radio...eveything I saw was AC/DC. Now it wouldn't be that easy without slash - even then it would have been a tough sell - even with all that - but they had NONE of it....

I think people start from the perception that it's not going to be good as it's not the real gnr...and then you have to win them back - if you can get people to forget the name issue and actually listen i've found people like it (or they lie to me) but most cant get past the name....and in the absence of the media converting people via interviews, apperances, the sort of hype that drives the whole industry...it's real hard.

Mikkamakka wrote:

There isn't a single new fan @ the boards. There isn't any. It's been 2 and a half year. Nothing shows clearer that this album wasn't good enough and tanked.

It's interesting actually...you may be right that there isn't new people. But if black ice had come out without so much as a squeek from the label I think we'd have a similar situation over at AC/DC...I don't think the lack of new fans is due to the music being bad...I think it was due to the almost complete lack of promo and so on. It also doesnt help that GNR runs the way it does - I love GNR as much as anyone - but if we're honest it's a tougher fan experience than some bands that deliver content endlessly and interact and all that. I'm not complaining cos I love the end music...but I think some people just dont have the patience for it so to speak.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD in no universe has 'great singles'.

If by singles you mean radio-style prepackaged gems I'd have to agree.

I'm currently listening to Sixx:Am and enjoying it - but those are "singles" in that you can throw them on the radio. I like Axl's stuff more....but it's not user friendly in the same way.

Board footer