You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

With music dying, the label would still rather have the Guns N' Roses brand name in their back pocket, not use it, than to let someone else have it.

Office politics

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

With music dying, the label would still rather have the Guns N' Roses brand name in their back pocket, not use it, than to let someone else have it.

Office politics

I almost agree. From what I've read, music isn't dying. We're listening to more music now than ever before.

Big labels are dying! Or rather, HAVE been dying! Now, with various streaming-services like Spotify and Apple's upcoming iCloud service, it looks like they're finally catching up to the digital age.
But not in any way that resembles the big corporate structure pushing physical products in the early 90's.

I bet the GNR-catalogue still bring in some handsome checks annualy.
So why would Uni wanna let that go.

If Axl DID go indie, he prolly wouldn't get the entire brand and catalogue with him. Even some of Trent Reznor's music is still in the hands of a label (saw him tweeting a while back, where he asked fans not to buy the latest re-release of whatever)

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

It is also possible that Uncle Ax hoped that CD would buck the trend and sell by the truck load so he'd be free of his debts (thanks to Best Buy) and he would have earned the label a ton of cash which would have strengthened his hand at the negotiation table for the next round. He didn't get that so is now in a position of weakness which I'm sure bugs him.

I agree with Axlin, I think Axl burned himself out creatively with CD and has taken the critical reactions from his peers and the shitty roll out deeply to heart. He does not seem ready to go back there at all. I'm also starting to believe he doesn't like the band dynamic he has anymore. Its not working for him on many levels. Maybe he is tired of being the one that has to take all the blame for GNR as he's the only old face left.

We could see him fight to tour this record in the states into 2112 to try to connect CD to his US fans, after that then I ain't sure what's next.

Personally if I managed Axl I'd ask him for a deeply personal acoustic/piano album and ask that he purge himself of his demons through it. With his voice and amazing lyrics it could be a stellar body of work.

After that...who knows..

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

We could see him fight to tour this record in the states into 2112 to try to connect CD to his US fans, after that then I ain't sure what's next.

I could see that happening. But not in the sense that you (I'm guessing) and others think. The term "to tour a record" is somewhat out of date and have been for at least 10 years now.

Nowadays, business-wise, you release a record to keep a brand alive. That record is then the commercial/promo for a tour and its merch-stands. And you "tour the brand" to finance further recording and more touring.

I doubt very much that Axl is touring in hopes that a magical chinese democracy spark is gonna catapult him back on top of Billboard Top 200.

I think he's more in touch with the reality of the musicbusiness than some of us like to think.
smile

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Office politics

maybe....BUT, they would still have the golden goose...the original bands masters....that is where the $$$$$ obviously is.:)

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

[youtube]5Tm7XCDwW1Q&feature=related[/youtube]

Sky Dog wrote:

some more Tommy quotes on Axl....

“Honestly, playing in Guns is just like being in Replacements or playing out with Soul Asylum,” he laughed.

“In Guns, it’s not really all that different. You have a front man who is a very serious and almost dogmatic type figure. Axl has a hard time taking it on the chin so to speak. Soul Asylum, Replacements, Guns; Good and bad they take it all home with them. They do focus on the negative too much at times. I had conversations with all three and heard all the crap. How can you sit there and blah blah blah and complain. Let’s stick with the positive,” said Stinson.

(Regarding The Replacements) “I have my own take on how things went down. We just wanted to try new things. I do believe strongly that you cannot force something that isn’t there yet. I have seen it with a lot of people; from Paul to Axl to David Pirner of Soul Asylum. I think they are all still searching for whatever it is they’re looking for.”

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dude, ain't afraid of speaking his mind. 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

rock n roll baby! rock n roll

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Hang on....tommy says gnr complain a lot and are negative?

Well at least its not just the fans.

Perhaps they need jarmo on board to keep them positive.

Board footer