You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Guns n' Roses Assault Nostalgia With 'Rock in Rio' Return

Mikkamakka wrote:

Guns n' Roses Assault Nostalgia With 'Rock in Rio' Return

http://www.craveonline.com/music/articl … rio-return

GNR's first show of 2011 is a 30+ song marathon of errors and missed notes, with a side of nostalgia.

By Johnny FirecloudOctober 03, 20110

Guns N' Roses headlined the seventh and final night of the Rock In Rio festival in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, closing out the festival with a 30-plus song music marathon that pushed the limits of our memories of the once-great Rock monsters.

Inactive since last December, the most recent Frankenstein incarnation of GNR have finally activated once more, and are setting their sites on the U.S. for a Fall tour. Those anticipating the upcoming shows looked to the Brazil performance as a good indicator of what to expect while watching it streamed worldwide, via YouTube. Sadly, the roaring firecracker frontman in Axl Rose is padded with middle-aged pudge, resulting in a great many out-of-breath moments and only token reminders of the soaring post-Slash incarnation that we saw in 2006.

When their planned setlist leaked hours before the performance, computer-savvy fans delighted at the sight of nearly 35 song (and four guitar-solo performances), which included most tracks from the band's original debut Appetite For Destruction, nearly every Chinese Democracy track and a few other gems. Naturally, as is the Axl Rose way, the band took to the stage two hours behind schedule, and the setlist was amputated as a result.

Taking to the stage in a yellow raincoat, black hat and sunglasses Axl ushered in the performance with the title track from Chinese Democracy, and immediately there were signs of trouble. Levels were wildly off, the vocals initially nonexistent, and the term "clumsy" came to mind far more than any other adjective. The stomach of this original-era GNR maniac twisted in knots as the notoriously reclusive frontman croaked and wheezed his way through the song - often with a backing track too high in the mix.

"Welcome to the Jungle" only made matters worse. Sounding often like an old lady doing karaoke while sprinting, Rose wailed "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE F*CK YOU ARE?!"... as he stepped around the army of stagehands mopping the stage around him.

The elements weren't responsible for this failure, however, as guitarist Bumblefoot Thal's chosen attire for the evening - a Stormtrooper mask - fell down on his face and caused him to completely ruin the solo in three different spots because of it:

Similarly, solos were ruined on other classics, including a sacrilegious hacking of "Sweet Child O' Mine," while performances on some of the newer tracks were tighter - most notably the solo on Chinese Democracy track "Better," which former guitarist Robin Finck owned so thoroughly in the past.

After introducing his adoptive mom and sister in an awkward "Whose fault is it" moment that the crowd didn't really understand (he didn't address the guests as family), and an ensuing unwelcome Hip-Hop version of "Mr. Brownstone," the band delivered one of the night's only shining gems: "Estranged," the massive track from Use Your Illusion which hasn't been played live in nearly two decades, or since the song's architect, Slash, made his exit from the lineup.

With five minute James Bond theme instrumental indulgences acting as a gross misreading of audience interest, the band played out their disconnect to a crowd dissipating heavily amidst the rains, and the time (4am) pushing patience en masse. It was a staggered return for what used to be the world's most dangerous Rock band, and a testament to the level of inebriation an OG Guns N' Roses fan will have to subject his or herself to in order to scratch that itch of nostalgia for the incredible power that represented the final legitimate gasp of the glam rock era.

GNR were once gods, the only band to truly straddle the schism between the collapsed hair metal era and the grime rock generation that followed. It only worked for a time, before egos and control issues devoured the promise and mojo of the greatest collective to ever rock the Sunset Strip, leaving a generation of tattooed leathered copycats and venereal half-cocked celebrators in their stead. Now we have this, a faltering musical Frankenstein geared for arenas and big-budget productions, cold calculations for nostalgia mining. And with Axl's diminishing ability, perhaps we should be thankful we're not watching that band we remember from so long ago, coming apart at the seams as it rattles down rock's unforgiving gravel road.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Slash is the Estranged architect? Oh really? Credibility down the drain for that writer.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, Axl was the architect and Slash the designer.

Anyway, except the '30+ song setlist', his words echoes what I read on the forum. I've only seen Rocket Queen, that was shockingly bad. Been downloading the show for an hour, but there are many peers and only one seed.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Anyway, except the '30+ song setlist', his words echoes what I read on the forum. I've only seen Rocket Queen, that was shockingly bad. Been downloading the show for an hour, but there are many peers and only one seed.

Good moments:

1. Estranged - band and Axl nailed it, crowd loved it.
2. TIL - mainly a good moment because the crowd sang along, which was shocking.
3. KOHD - good vocals, really good crowd reactions.
4. SOD - good vocals, good playing.
5. SCOM - band wasn't great but Axl's vocals were solid.

Everything else was GARBAGE.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Good moments:

1. Estranged - band and Axl nailed it, crowd loved it.
2. TIL - mainly a good moment because the crowd sang along, which was shocking.
3. KOHD - good vocals, really good crowd reactions.
4. SOD - good vocals, good playing.
5. SCOM - band wasn't great but Axl's vocals were solid.

Everything else was GARBAGE.

Well, this show seems to be historical. I have a close to pervert hobby of watching this trainwreck. I would have never downloaded the usual almost playback show, you know, when they're delivering, but nothing special's happening. But this whole Rio circus made me interested - it's not against this incarnation (which I don't care about), it's about the situation. I always liked watching the St Louis riot show, too, one of my favourite dvds, cause the feeling of something about to happen is all over the place. Like a Hitchcock movie, you know...

johndivney wrote:

who is the reviewer? & why should i give a shit?
& can't this just be put in the RiR thread??

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

100 pages. The reviews can be here.

I've just watched NR. I felt sorry for Axl. He was very lonely and sad on the stage, in front of 200,000 people. He would have run away and stay hidden, if he could.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

100 pages. The reviews can be here.

I've just watched NR. I felt sorry for Axl. He was very lonely and sad on the stage, in front of 200,000 people. He would have run away and stay hidden, if he could.

Not 200,000. The new pavilion they built holds around 75,000-100,000. With the late start time I don't think there were even 75,000. But there were hundreds of thousands watching the stream online.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

I do feel like my nostalgia was raped, only it was nostalgia for like...last year.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

He seriously thought they would do 33 songs???

I blame a lot of this shit on Axl, but blaming being late on him this time is just bullshit. SOAD finished their set way later than planned and it was raning cats and dogs. They were as quick as they could.

The rest I've already said plenty about

Board footer