You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: SLASH: Solo Album, VELVET REVOLVER, Possible'Hall Of Fame Reunion

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … um=twitter
Gary Graff of Billboard.com recently conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On his next solo album, which is being recorded with the same Myles Kennedy-fronted band he took on tour to promote 2010's "Slash" and with whom he recorded the upcoming live set "Made in Stoke 24/7/11":

Slash: "Based on the relationship that we've developed and the chemistry we've got going, I started writing material with Myles and the guys in the band in mind . . It's very different from the last one. There's a lot of freedom on this record; it's very diverse, but it's definitely the sound of one band with a lot of different ideas. This is probably the most 'live' recorded album I've ever done, too. The way I like to do records is rehearse, rehearse, rehears and then go in and get to know the song like the back of your hand and then go in and bang it out. That's how we're doing it."

On the current status of VELVET REVOLVER, which has been singer-less since parting ways with Scott Weiland in April 2008:

Slash: "[We will get together in December to] spend some time with a couple of singers — that's all I can tell you."

On havings taken ownership of all the music he's played on over the years:

Slash: "I realized that I actually have a catalog at this point. There's a body of work that I can refer to. And I just pulled stuff that I wanted to play, a lot of stuff that I hadn't played in a really long time. Playing 'Nightrain' was a gas; that's something I hadn't done since the mid-90s. I just had this freedom to do whatever I wanted, so it was really fun and there was a lot of material to pull from."

On GUNS N' ROSES' nomination for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame's class of 2012:

Slash: "It's become very prestigious over the years, and it's become a huge honor for anybody to be inducted into it — or even nominated, for that matter. It's a cool accolade, I suppose. Obviously we're in really, really great company . . . Of course, you have those thoughts of how it might work in case it does happen, but with GUNS 'N ROSES, there's really no guessing exactly how it will go. I suppose if it happens, everybody will get some sort of ducks in order. But I think the first thing to do is wait and see if we actually get inducted, because you know how unpredictable that is."

Read more from Billboard.com.

jamester

jamester wrote:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET
DUFF MCKAGAN Says VELVET REVOLVER Will Audition New Singer In December

Duff told OC Weekly, last month that he "played in New York [in Setember as part of the Road Recovery benefit concert] and Matt Sorum [VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer] was there. There was a singer there [possibly referring to Jimmy Gnecco of OURS. — Ed.] we might write some songs with."

He continued, "None of us have really tried [to find anyone] in the last few years. We've all been busy with other things.

"I think once that whole thing went down with Scott, we thought we'd find a guy right away. Once a few months went by, it was like, 'Oh fuck.'"

He added, "We didn't give up on the band but you can't force a singer into a situation. It's got to just kind of happen. So playing a few weeks ago with that singer, it seemed really natural. So we'll see. I'll come back to you on that."

Jimmy Gnecco of OURS sang lead vocals on three songs ("Slither" by VELVET REVOLVER, "It's So Easy" by GUNS N' ROSES and "Hey Joe" by JIMI HENDRIX) during the Road Recovery concert with Slash, McKagan, Sorum, Gilby Clarke (ex-GUNS N' ROSES) and Dave Kushner (VELVET REVOLVER). Fan-filmed video footage of his performance can be seen below.

VELVET REVOLVER has been more or less on hiatus since its split with Weiland, although it was recently revealed that the group recorded an album's worth of material with STONE SOUR and SLIPKNOT frontman Corey Taylor.

In a recent interview with Brazil's "Lokaos Rock Show", VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum said about the band's current status, "After [we parted ways with] Scott Weiland [in 2008]… We had such a great first record, especially. The second album is still a good album, but… It's hard to replace Scott for that particular band, I think.

"When we did VELVET REVOLVER, we wanted to make a modern rock album, and we had to figure out a way to make that work. We didn't wanna be like GUNS N' ROSES. We knew we had that in us anyway, especially the Slash and Duff sound was the initial sound of [GN'R's classic debut album] 'Appetite For Destruction', the way they played together and everything. Part of that chemistry was there, and when we added Scott, it brought it into a more modern rock element. He came more from grunge — the Seattle [sound like] SOUNDGARDEN, PEARL JAM and bands like that. So it took it sort of forward. We became more of a modern rock band and we were on modern rock radio."

jamester

jamester wrote:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 … e_sing.php
The Secret to Getting the Singer Gig With Velvet Revolver

Duff McKagan
The Secret to Getting the Singer Gig With Velvet Revolver (Or Any Band, For That Matter)
By Duff McKagan Thu., Nov. 3 2011 at 6:30 AM

At this moment in time, I am absolutely balls to the wall, with touring with Loaded, as well as doing a book tour over here in the UK.

Typical day: Wake up in bus on ferry being tossed violently in Irish Sea. Get out of bunk to find that the bus power is off. That means? No coffee. No internet. No light, and NO going above decks as the door going upstairs are locked during the voyage.
Arrive at dock in Belfast, where car from U.K. publishing company is waiting to take me to HMV store for book signing (still no coffee). LOTS of people there. I get coffee.

Then to sound check, where we run through stuff that needs a running through. Eat. Can't forget to do THAT!

Call home.

Play rock show, and do meet and great type of thingy afterwards. Go to sleep.

Repeat all of this for next 9 straight days.

Day off (well, this "day off," actually turned into a flight to Santiago, Chile from London).

Repeat above steps for following 10 days.

Day off (THIS "day off' is a flight back to Germany from Sau Paulo, Brazil)

Tour with Motorhead in Germany for remainder of November.

My point to all of this is that, well, I get a lot of questions from singers wanting to know how to get the singer gig in my other band, Velvet Revolver, and I wanted all the aspiring frontmen and women to know how glamorous it is out here. Speaking of questions. I think I'll answer this one directly.

Hey, Duff.
How can an unknown (me) orchestrate the "chance of a lifetime" opportunity to tryout for VR?
Cheers,
Lee

Hi, Lee:

We don't actually play "orchestra" music in Velvet Revolver. It is classified in the "rock n' roll" genre. But that is a good idea. Maybe if we played orchestra music and the like, we wouldn't have to find a singer, eh?

Of course, I am just fuckin' with ya. Send an MP3 to Rick Canny at Sanctuary Music Management. Be resourceful, mate: if you can't find his email address, then maybe you should re-consider trying to join our group. We'd never let you hear the end of THAT!

Duff

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Good to see some life in VR!

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Seriously?!  The RRHOF is very "presitgious"? 

Has Slash seen the other people who have been inducted? 

CANCER! 

(please don't hate, it was a joke)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Good to see some life in VR!

Not to be negative, but dude... they've said "December" every year since Scott was out.

Who knows, this December might be the charm, but don't get your hopes up just in case.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Not to be negative, but dude... they've said "December" every year since Scott was out.

Yeah your dead right on that.

Plus with duff doing loaded and slash recording with Myles its hard to see them taking VR all that seriously...but then again...they obviously have all these songs in the can that they give people to demo over....so i guess if they find someone it could get back into shape pretty easly...who knows maybe if it's not their maintime gig then they can have more fun with it and experiment a little more than they did.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Duff told OC Weekly, last month that he "played in New York [in Setember as part of the Road Recovery benefit concert] and Matt Sorum [VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer] was there. There was a singer there [possibly referring to Jimmy Gnecco of OURS. — Ed.] we might write some songs with."

I sure hope as hell that Jimmy guy doesn't get the job, he was terrible in videos I saw!

Board footer