You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vinyl LPs

Aussie wrote:

Nahh there never was a release of Oh My God on vinyl.

chinese 2010 appears to be the same pressing as 2008. even the UPC is the same, they just stuck a sticker with the new UPC number over the old UPC. i haven't opened it yet, so i don't know if there is a download code inside.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

MSL did you manage to pick yourself up one of these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170727409805#ht_500wt_922

BTW I have already asked and the seller doesn't have any more.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

Here is a great high end turntable if you want to get a good one for under $1000, but it still isn't cheap! I just got this and I absolutely love it! I held on to my old Sony for 15 years, so I treated myself

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/rega-rp … bles.shtml

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Oh wow, good to see that you're really enjoying those LP's Russ, but I do have to say something to try and keep people from buying into the whole "Vinyl is better than CD" thing that seems to be spreading around. Especially your "frequencies" remark is pretty much completely off the mark. The physics just doesn't add up to support such claims.

CD's can accurately reproduce up to 22khz and down to 1hz tones with absolute fidelity. And although it is true that decently made vinyl records can reproduce up to 45khz, the actual highest frequency humans can hear is limited to roughly 20khz for people younger than 20 years old or so (older people fare much worse, topping off at around 17-18khz) so it's a bit pointless in all fairness. To top that off, record players have a problem called "rumble" in the sub-30hz frequencies that basically makes them useless in that range. A problem CD's don't have. Luckily most home equipment can't even reproduce those frequencies anyway, so it's not an audible problem. Speakers are probably your best bet for an upgrade in quality, by the way, and most worthy of spending a good deal of money on. Amps, EQ's, players, etc... not so much. "Monster Cables" and the like are a complete myth and rip-off altogether.

That said, the differences you hear might just well be there, but they're not a limitation of the CD medium. They are more than likely the result of a difference in mastering philosophy for the different mediums. Unfortunately, and counter-intuitively, mastering engineers tend to squeeze out much of the music's dynamics when mastering for CD. Although the medium has a much broader dynamic range than Vinyl (96db vs 70db in best case scenario), somehow people fuck things up during the mastering process. Blame the loudness wars for that.

Bottom line is, it is perfectly possible to make a better sounding CD than any vinyl record can be made to sound. For various ridiculous reasons though the pop music industry just decided not to do so. Classical recording do make the most of the medium, so for proof just listen to a good classical music CD.

But please, don't let the above make you enjoy your records any less, they probably really do sound better than the CD.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

prolly due to the fact that digital sounds a bit "harsher" or crisper...and vinyl sounds more vintage....much like the way that most musicians prefer the sound of a tube amp over a solid state amp

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Whatever the frequencies are, the CD is still in 16 bit samples. It's quantized. Smooth waveforms are turned into blocks.

Sure, they don't author vinyls from analog tape and to analog mastering anymore, but they use more than 16 bits.

Plus that whole 'warmer' subjective thing.

Afterall, the whole thing is subjective.
My 180 gram DSOTM sounded way smoother than my 90's CD. Maybe for several reasons. But hey, it's another way of hearing the music, so that in itself is a reason to have it. smile

Board footer