You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Question about recording (please help!)

RussTCB wrote:

removed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Caveat, I'm a homerecorder, I have never recorded a show but I do know a thing or two about mic techniques.

That said, a windscreen has two effects, one wanted, one unwanted.
First of all, it'll minimize the exaggerated effect plosives (p, b, d, k, ...) and sibilants (s, f, z, ...) can get when speaking directly in the mic. Unless you're in a windy outdoors area you shouldn't need this as far away sources don't create this effect. The effect is actually created by the wind gusts produced by those sounds and not by the sound waves produced them. Once your sound source is a foot or so away from the mic the winds are no longer a problem, and they're never a problem from speakers anyway. So, if you're not recording a singer directly, or in a very windy area the windscreens won't do you much good.

Second effect is that it dulls the higher frequencies a little bit, so you'll lose top end if you use them. It's not typically a really big problem as it's only the 17khz and up frequencies that will be muted a little bit (1 to 3db maybe, depending on the material the windscreen is made of), but it's mostly an unwanted side effect. And if you really think your recordings are too bright you might just as well use an EQ afterwards.

Now, the H1 as two mics in XY position, this should typically work best when you're pointing the device towards the sounds source (parallel to the ground) instead of pointing at the sky (perpendicular to the ground). It'll give you more details in the high end. I haven't used this particular device though, so test it for yourself first. Play some music through speakers and try a couple of different positions.

I think you'll see the most gain in quality when you start looking into post-processing the recorded file. EQ & compression are necessities for every recording, and that goes for bootlegs as well. Or in my case, the rehearsals we record in a very similar way.

Hope this helps!

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

It certainly could, and it definitely would allow you more dynamic range for the rest of the frequency spectrum. What frequency is the low-cut at? Anything below 60Hz: feel free to discard (in almost all circumstances, except when recording bass or drums separately).

Your recordings being bass-heavy though, I'm not sure if the low-cut will do much. I think you probably need to make a cut in the 120 - 240hz region from the sounds of it. So, take any DAW program (audacity is decent and free), and cut about 2-3db around 180hz and that should help a lot. If it doesn't, move the center frequency about between the 120 and 240hz to hear what you like most.

Board footer