You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

johndivney wrote:

i think it's weird D equates a #1 w/greatness

but then he's the bon jovi fan isn't he......

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess for me it comes down to....I think Scott wrote some great songs - like Slither, Sucker Train Blues, Let it Roll, Loving the Alien - great stuff in VR - but I also think that's him at his best - I think that's his A-game. Whereas if you think about what Slash did in VR - it's great but it's no where near what we know he can do....so for this reason I think VR needs a singer that will work with Slash not against him....and bottom line is scott doesn't like Slash/Izzy riffs all that much, doesn't like big solos and likes grunge song structure....so I'm glad he's been a part of VR..but he's not my dream choice for the future.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

And boom goes the dynamite. 16

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Exclusive: The Reason Behind Velvet Revolver's One-Night Reunion
Guitarist Dave Kushner got the group back together to honor his late best friend

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … n-20120106

f3717c6ae7f3fddab435cf600014e7c6c8ec19dd.jpg

When Velvet Revolver – Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland – reunite for one show next Thursday at L.A.'s House Of Blues, it will be the result of Kushner. The band's guitarist brought the group back together to honor his best friend, musician John O'Brien, who was found dead at the age of 45 in his Chicago hotel room last August.

"I found out he passed away on August 20, and it was like out of nowhere," Kushner exclusively tells Rolling Stone. "Next day I was in shock and my wife said to me, 'You gotta have a benefit concert for his wife and you have to get Velvet Revolver back together.' That’s how it started."

He then approached the different band members. "We did a benefit show for this thing called Road Recovery – me, Duff, Slash and Matt – in New York, and that’s when I asked those guys individually if they would agree to do it," Kushner says. "Once they said so then I got in touch with Scott, and he agreed."

Kushner says the response was almost instantaneous from everyone, something he attributes to how loved O'Brien – a childhood friend of Kushner's – was in the industry. "[John] was just like a teddy bear. He was the most talented, softest, sweetest, most generous person I’d ever met. He was the brother I never had, and everyone knew him," he says. "I’ve known Scott for 22, 23, 24 years. So he’s known John since then, Duff and John had an amazing relationship, and Matt knew him too."

The concert will also feature Maroon 5, Sheryl Crow, Tom Morello, an appearance from Stephen Stills and more. That will take the pressure off all of the bands, including Velvet. "Because we hadn’t played with Scott in a long time I said, 'Look, let’s just do three songs.' It’s not too much of a commitment," he says. "So we just got a bunch of people, everyone will do three songs."

Kushner is well aware though that everyone will be watching the first time in four years that Weiland performs with the group. "I knew from the beginning it would be newsworthy, and that was kind of the plan," Kushner says. "If you’re gonna do this, you want to raise some serious money, then put all caution aside and say, 'Hey, will you do this?'"

All of the proceeds from the benefit will go to O'Brien's wife and family. "Unfortunately, John didn’t have life insurance at the time and he left behind a wife that's pregnant and a four-year-old son. That to me is the main focus of why I’m doing this," Kushner says. "I’m doing it so that this sells out and that money can go to her, period."

Although the guitarist is focused solely on next Thursday's gig, he understands that others are interested in what the future might hold for Velvet Revolver, but the five of them are taking a cautious approach to any further reunions. "We haven’t played together in four years, and so we’re really just like, 'Let’s see how this goes,'" he says.

And if Thursday's show does go well? "I know everyone’s got other commitments, but I think everyone’s like, 'Let’s get this thing done and get through this and then we’ll see.'”

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well that does explain how it all came about.

I wouldn't rule out further reunion if it goes well though. I think VR started when Slash and Duff played together at some charity thing right? And they were like "hey look - we have chemistry - even out of GNR".

So maybe if it's awesome it could inspire them to take back scott in general, but conversely, if it's stressful, or if the magic isn't there then it's a one off.

Cool that they're willing to put the drama aside for this though. I mean it must be sort of awkward - but then I guess Scott has the "you've not found anyone to replace me" view to boost his ego that he wont be too strange about it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
johndivney wrote:

oh yeah, cause certainly being in a band that is still going strong and kicking ass almost 30 years in.. can't be cause they are great...

That jon, if he wasn't good looking...

heard all this bullshit before.

Go to about 6mins in and this is the type of crowd interaction stuff that makes people repeat customers over n over.

VR kick fucking ass.

Scott's worst shit bitch smacks Corey taylor's dumb lame ass.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

And boom goes the dynamite. 16

Oh man. 14

monkeychow wrote:

I guess for me it comes down to....I think Scott wrote some great songs - like Slither, Sucker Train Blues, Let it Roll, Loving the Alien - great stuff in VR - but I also think that's him at his best - I think that's his A-game. Whereas if you think about what Slash did in VR - it's great but it's no where near what we know he can do....so for this reason I think VR needs a singer that will work with Slash not against him....and bottom line is scott doesn't like Slash/Izzy riffs all that much, doesn't like big solos and likes grunge song structure....so I'm glad he's been a part of VR..but he's not my dream choice for the future.

Problem is... VR doesn't have a future. I could go into this long deal, but it's gotta be obvious at this point to even the most diehard VR fan that the band is dead without Scott. It's done and it's been done.

They have literally gone nowhere looking for a replacement, not to mention the lukewarm response to Libertad, and the fact at this point it's been YEARS since that album... so = what VR?

It's either Scott, or Slash will do his solo thing with Myles, and Duff will be with Loaded, because neither of them seem willing to budge on a direction to a Scott-less VR.

Faster
 Rep: 3 

Faster wrote:

I also think that initially, in the build up to and release of Contraband, there was a lot of hype, a lot of excitement and they all had a point to prove. This probably allowed them to paper over any cracks in the band.

I don't think its a coincidence that as VR became less relevant commercially the band began to fall apart. As mentioned above, Slash has his band where he can do as he pleases and Duff has Loaded and seems similarly happy. I have seen them both in the last year and the vibe is totally different to a VR show, less menacing, less on the attack, more a celebration. At this point this is probably what they are interested in. Less hassle, more fun.

Aside from STP, I don't think VR is really how Scott wants to be expressing himself these days. Didn't he always say something about not wanting to go into his old age shaking his ass in leather pants? I vaguely recall something along those lines, and whilst the rest of the VR guys have been looking at something harder (Taylor etc) that would be the opposite way I can imagine Weiland wanting to go. We saw that begin to happen with Libertad and it did not even pay off commercially.

The fact of the matter is that they have got nowhere with finding a new singer, nor is the world clamouring after a VR + Scott reunion, so I can not see this going anywhere long term, simply because the payoff would not be worth the inevitable bumpy ride.

Still, it is nice to know they are all on good enough terms to get together for a good cause like this.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I love the word you used "menacing" - that was exactly the vibe when I saw VR on the contraband tour I think!

Got to say I just went on a 2 hour drive tonight and blasted some VR in the car..they really are a great band I think...as much as I've been all "scot isn't the dude" - when they had a good song it was pretty damn good!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

VR TONIGHT!!!!!!!! Fuck i hope we get some good Youtube clips of this.

Board footer