You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Amazon Kindle

Olorin wrote:

Any users? Whats it like, good, bad, meh?

Planning on doing some serious reading this year, need to get my brain working again, been vegetating for too long and feels like even my brain has saggy tits, so time to get it back into shape.

Theres a lot of big articles online I would like to read, but my laptop bursts my head, can you read websites with a kindle or is it just ebooks?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

my wife has the kobo (same shit as kindle) she loves it

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

i have the 4th generation kindle. bought it 1 and a half months ago and so far it's great.
at first i thought the screen would be too small but i have no issue with it now.

i don't know about online reading, it has a browser and they say you can subscribe to magazines, newspapers, blogs and wikipedia, i think. i haven't tried the feature myself as i bought it strictly for books. it's a lot easier to carry around than, for example, george r.r. martin's hardcover of 'a dance with dragons'. nearly broke my back carrying it back and forth to a friend 16

all in all i'm satisfied with it as far as books go. the rest i don't care much about.

one last mention, it doesn't convert .pdf files well so you might want to avoid those. if i have to read them though, i just rotate the screen and read those like that.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Thats great cheers!

I was looking at one in the shop today, the screen does look quite small. I'll have to look into what kind of magazines you can subscribe to before getting one.
This might be a daft question, but are they text only, meaning no photos etc. Surely not though...

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

my wife has the kobo (same shit as kindle) she loves it

Had a look at that on play.com, looks pretty nifty!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i know the kobo and the sony touch are both text and pictures...some of the newer ones are even colour

Kobo Vox i think and the Sony Touch PRS1

they do several formats too...and in canada here (not sure about elsewhere but i'm sure it would be the same) but you can borrow books from the library with them....the thing that kinda turns me off of it is that you dont really save much in cost from buying a real book...

and i am kinda partial to actually feeling the paper, the smell of a book turning pages

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I'm a book person as well, love the smell of the paper, love spending time wandering around bookshops. I'm more interested in getting one for reading material thats online already rather than for converted books. I find it uncomfortable reading through a lot of text from a computer screen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I'm a book person as well, love the smell of the paper, love spending time wandering around bookshops. I'm more interested in getting one for reading material thats online already rather than for converted books. I find it uncomfortable reading through a lot of text from a computer screen.

That's probably why I'll never convert to a Kindle/ereaders full time.  After a few minutes of reading text from the computer my eyes begin to glaze and I just start skimming the page just to get to the end of it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

the kobo at least isnt back-lit like a computer or tablet its not as hard on the eyes

Board footer