You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

monkeychow wrote:

Me too! Was it 3 songs they're doing?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

They played 4 songs apparently:

Suckertrain Blues
She Builds Quick Machines
Slither
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

I've seen some youtube videos and they sound ok, but there's not much chemistry going on between them on stage.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … z1jN3VJKkR

Reunited Velvet Revolver, Maroon 5, More Honor John O'Brien
Sold-out show at House of Blues also features Tom Morello, Sheryl Crow and Stephen Stills

84b20cb505fa51c85ffbaf4560ba4f8ba3c672d4.jpg

When we spoke last week with Velvet Revolver guitarist Dave Kushner about the reason behind the band's one-off reunion, he talked movingly about the impact his late best friend, composer John O'Brien, had on so many in music. That was clear last night when the reunited Velvet Revolver headlined "Love You Madly: A Concert for John O'Brien" at a sold-out House of Blues in Los Angeles.

While most of the focus was on VR's first gig in four years with Scott Weiland, an eclectic and impressive array of talent built up to the headlining set. Among the early highlights were local favorites Fishbone, who gave way to Tom Morello, a.k.a. the Nightwatchman. Backed by his band, Morello brought it in his three songs, from an instrumental version of Rage Against the Machine's "Testify" that had all heads bobbing to his cover of Bruce Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad," which had the crowd playing air guitar. Before the song, Morello spoke of how O'Brien's spirit was in the room.

During a fan-favorite, three-song set that included "Sunday Morning," Maroon 5 also remembered O'Brien, crediting him as a big part of their success.

Stephen Stills, joining Sheryl Crow for four songs, used his time on stage to honor another group, dedicating his rendition of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" to "the 99 percent." Stills also rocked on a sterling "Love the One You're With," while Crow delivered raucous versions of "If It Makes You Happy" and "Everyday Is a Winding Road."

But when Weiland, Slash, Duff McKagan, Kushner and Matt Sorum took the stage together at 11:37, it was clear that the vast majority, if not all, were on hand to see the reunited supergroup. Opening with "Sucker Train Blues," the band sounded in fine form. Weiland thanked the crowd for coming and called the show "sad, but sweet too," as he recalled a show he and Sorum did for Weiland's late brother, Michael.

The singer sent out good wishes to O'Brien's family before the band picked up steam again with "She Builds Quick Machines." They continued the momentum with "Slither," then wrapped up on a quieter note with their cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

As Kushner told us last week, the idea was just to get through the night, which the band did seamlessly. Though a lot of people this morning noticed a message on the band's website that said "New Velvet Revolver coming," that message has been there for some time. According to band reps, the group has no comment on any further collaboration at this time.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Be interesting to see what happens. Will either be so awkward and odd that they never get together again, or it will remind them they had some game and behind the scenes they'll begin writing again. But looks like it could be the first option.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cool stuff! seemed a bit stiff at first but then wieland then leaned on slash and nobody blew up 16

anyway i have a feeling that they were like this is just a half hour we can do this for Dave

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

FUCK i need more of this. What an amazing band.

Hopefully they will do something together again.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...to me at a minimum DUFF needs to always play with Slash.

I mean it's no co-incidence that VR sounds bad ass and so did Watch This on the solo record...duff just locks in perfectly to slash's sound.

I've been listening to a bit of VR recently though...would love a new record..but I do hope they let slash go nuts with some solos more this time.

But then half the VR songs I love are the ones others don't. Libertad or not to me "Just 16" and "Let it Roll" are turn it up and blast them tracks.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Crowd is going ape shit

-D-

-D- wrote:

Slither

metallex78