You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Favorite GN'R Song Of All-Time

Axlin16 wrote:

Estranged

Very personal to me as a song that got me through alot of tough times. The song is an experience. Like a living entity. Love everything about it. From Axl's stripped down piano only instrumental demo (which still will make me emotional) to Slash's bigger than life solos.

Welcome To The Jungle

A perfect song in every way. The first track off their debut album, and yet still holds up today. Has not aged one bit, still holds all the aggression and power it ever did. Quite possibly the greatest hard rock song ever made. This song will still make me want to scream and destroy, even if it's the 10,000th time i've heard it. Still a fist pumper.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

SCOM - its just perfect.

Estranged & Breakdown hit me pretty well. Love the ending to Rocket Queen too.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Estranged

Very personal to me as a song that got me through alot of tough times. The song is an experience. Like a living entity. Love everything about it. From Axl's stripped down piano only instrumental demo (which still will make me emotional) to Slash's bigger than life solos.

Couldn't have explained it any better!

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

You know Axlin bit on something there..I was obsessed with the band when they came out and I saw them in Mannheim Germany at 20 years of age (1991!!). I'd been flung out of home and left Ireland in disgrace, flunked college and broke up with the love of my (young) life. It was a disaster.

I started picking up the pieces out there and when I went to the gig it was the first time the band played November Rain live..when I heard the  opening verse...I just fucking burst into tears (I was very stoned)..Axl was singing about my break up...like he reached into my head and told my story.

When Slash hit me with those solos I still remember looking at up at the huge hot summer night moon; stoned and awestruck by this new GNR sound and thinking "fuck this, this is great, I am going to be ok".

I have snippets like that for so many GNR tunes....they were the sound track to the biggest years of my life.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

You know Axlin bit on something there..I was obsessed with the band when they came out and I saw them in Mannheim Germany at 20 years of age (1991!!). I'd been flung out of home and left Ireland in disgrace, flunked college and broke up with the love of my (young) life. It was a disaster.

I started picking up the pieces out there and when I went to the gig it was the first time the band played November Rain live..when I heard the  opening verse...I just fucking burst into tears (I was very stoned)..Axl was singing about my break up...like he reached into my head and told my story.

When Slash hit me with those solos I still remember looking at up at the huge hot summer night moon; stoned and awestruck by this new GNR sound and thinking "fuck this, this is great, I am going to be ok".

I have snippets like that for so many GNR tunes....they were the sound track to the biggest years of my life.

You're a lucky old fart to have seen GN'R back in the day. 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Totally agree with Intercourse's post.

I saw guns when I was 15 and it totally changed my life I think. I was already obsessed with them - but Axl's lyrics sort of capture a certain way of thinking that resonates in my head, where it's obviously about his own experiences but it mirrors ways i've felt or things I've thought,  and I've always thought Slash's guitar is operating on some kind of ethereal level. He's not playing a guitar solo - it's like he's plucking out of the music dimension the sounds that go over that bit. There's a magic to it.

Anyway, favourite songs.

Too many how can I choose.

I'm different to you guys in that I wouldn't list Estranged. It's a beautiful song that I love, but it's so emotional and so sad in places that I can't listen to it very often. I break it out for special occasions like a fine wine. But I wouldn't start my day with it. It's like reading the ending of Romeo and Juliet, or seeing a sad movie like A.I...I have to be emotionally psyched up to deal with it. So i guess i love it but it's a sometimes song for me.

Some favourites...YCBM....that video clip back in the day really captured the danger and essence of that band I think. The song itself is a good mix of things too - classic kind of Axl sound, awesome riffage and solos from Slash...

Brownstone was always a favourtite when I was younger...but i've grown to love Nighttrain even more than it......

In the modern era, I think TIL is beautiful (although a "sometimes listen" like estranged to me cos it's also so sad) and I'm obsessed with TWAT and those high vocal parts in it.

God...i could ramble forever on it.

It's little things that make it impossible to choose. Axl's vocals on "You're Crazy" or the entire experience of "Paradise City" live...I have dozens of favourites!

Sky Dog wrote:

One in a Million is pretty damn badass......

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Night train has to be my favorite GNR song off of Appetite and of course Jungle!! big_smile Night train just is fun to sing along and the riffs are just electrifying. Steven's opening cowbell pounding on part of the drum kit, Slash & Izzy's battling guitar chemistry. Axl's bad ass vocals!! I COULD GO ON..ladies & gents. Jungle is just the greatest hard rock anthem out there! Paradise City..is on my list too!! I can't pick a favorite cause I love November Rain, YCBM, Civil War, Patience...

For Chinese Democracy: Probably Better and Madagascar are my favs. Better has that classic GNR tone but with a modern sound filled with Axl's angry lyrics. personally I don't mind the extra keyboards on it. I love how it's played live now. DJ pulls off that riff pretty well. Got to give it up to my man Robin Finck for bringing that song together though. Madagascar was probably one of the first songs off of Chinese that I heard from live youtube vids; so I was curious how the final studio version was going to sound like. When I finally picked up Chinese and listened to it in it's entirety for the first time it took some time to grow on me. At first I was like what's with Axl's raspy vocals, then I'm like..yeahh..I'm digging this tone..and the synth horn arrangment is just great!! Buckethead's shining moment on the guitar solo featuring the MLK Jr. and movie references made this into a masterpiece.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Totally agree with Intercourse's post.

I saw guns when I was 15 and it totally changed my life I think. I was already obsessed with them - but Axl's lyrics sort of capture a certain way of thinking that resonates in my head, where it's obviously about his own experiences but it mirrors ways i've felt or things I've thought,  and I've always thought Slash's guitar is operating on some kind of ethereal level. He's not playing a guitar solo - it's like he's plucking out of the music dimension the sounds that go over that bit. There's a magic to it.

Anyway, favourite songs.

Too many how can I choose.

I'm different to you guys in that I wouldn't list Estranged. It's a beautiful song that I love, but it's so emotional and so sad in places that I can't listen to it very often. I break it out for special occasions like a fine wine. But I wouldn't start my day with it. It's like reading the ending of Romeo and Juliet, or seeing a sad movie like A.I...I have to be emotionally psyched up to deal with it. So i guess i love it but it's a sometimes song for me.

Some favourites...YCBM....that video clip back in the day really captured the danger and essence of that band I think. The song itself is a good mix of things too - classic kind of Axl sound, awesome riffage and solos from Slash...

Brownstone was always a favourtite when I was younger...but i've grown to love Nighttrain even more than it......

In the modern era, I think TIL is beautiful (although a "sometimes listen" like estranged to me cos it's also so sad) and I'm obsessed with TWAT and those high vocal parts in it.

God...i could ramble forever on it.

It's little things that make it impossible to choose. Axl's vocals on "You're Crazy" or the entire experience of "Paradise City" live...I have dozens of favourites!

I don't listen to Estranged very often either. Honestly I only listen to it when i'm in a grunge mood (yeah seriously, I put it right up beside the grunge epics).

The last time I listened to Estranged in full were the GN'R shows. The PPV's and the show I saw in person.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

top 5?

SCOM
Civil War
OIAM
DC
Breakdown

Board footer