You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Roseland Ballroom, NYC 02/10/12

apex-twin wrote:

2ih05yd.jpg
Fashion!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sure there's people who look good at 50, but musically Axl's vocals would be hard to sing at 25....people forget that...the songs are very hard and taxing vocally in my opinion.

That said though, i hate to be negative but I do think we've come to a point where the vocal delivery has become the defining issue in the "it's not quite right" factor, whereas previously the primary problem was the absence of Slash/Duff.

Sky Dog wrote:

I seriously cannot believe any semi Axl fan which bitch about the clips in this thread. Really? Time to move on if that isn't good enough.....

Sky Dog wrote:

pretty good reviews coming in but they are just Axlites...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … w-20120211

Now, this isn't the Guns N' Roses line-up that everybody wants to see tour. Chinese Democracy didn't live up to expectations and it's maddening that Axl can't take the stage at a reasonable time - but the show still wildly exceeded my expectations. Say what you will about Axl, when he's onstage he sings his ass off and gives it his all.

As the crowd inched towards the exit, "My Way" blasted from the P.A. I'm not sure if this was an Axl selection, but it made perfect sense. He's always been a man that has done things his way, regardless of what anyone else thinks. In two months he's getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Regardless of what happens at the ceremony regarding a reunion, it'll certainly all go down precisely his way. That's the only way he's ever operated.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … z1m8W9mxdw

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It's because I'm a fucking hardcore fan that I can hear it man.

I think 99% of the population wouldn't tell the difference. To be honest I can't believe more of us hardcores don't hear it.

To be clear. I love Axl's music. It's changed my life for the better and for that I am endlessly grateful to him. I'd support him forever. I will go to any show. I will buy any GNR product till the day I die.

But I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend I don't hear the changes as he ages. It's just natural and I love the band anyway. But it's there. It'd be like not seeing my own mother get older each year.

These clips are great - but even a short burst of them and you can immediately date what vintage it is from them. Have a listen to Civil War in this thread at around 1.20....it's not how Axl sounded on the studio track and it's not how he sounded in historical live performances. He's still the best frontman in the world to me, but if I'm going to be truthful, his voice on the whole 2012 tour has sounded somewhat weaker and hollow to me. Listen to nighttrain from this then from a 2009 tour, then a 2006 tour downwards and you can hear it.

So fucking what I guess. It's natural to age and it is what it is. I love the band anyway, it's just something to live with.

It's not that it's not good enough, but it exists, at least to my ears, and I think probably to Axl's also given what tommy replied to something he said at RIR4.

The up side is the changes to his voice can be used to good effect, like in TWAT or IRS on CD...much higher than his old works but kickass, and I guess the lack of rasp could be highlighted in a positive way musically on a new song, but in terms of faithful replication of the old music...sorry if it offends you or the band but I notice the changes. I wish I didn't.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Truth is, Axl has never been a "Great" flawless live singer... So really its no different than before. he has always missed a shit ton of notes but that is part of what makes him special.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ True, D.

I thought the vids kicked ass.  And Axl is clearly having fun up there.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah sorry I don't mean to be negative or spoiling the fun at all.

It's kinda a conspiracy theory I have, but I've been wondering for a time if maybe some of the GNR weirdness is founded around Axl having issues with his voice and becoming depressed about it. If he did damage his voice badly after the UYI tour, then it could explain why he was keen to develop alternative directions, why he often sings in different tones from then on, why he seems more interested in producing the instrumental tracks rather than singing, not to mention how a set-back like that coupled with the alienation of his old band mates and the loss of his wives would create like a depressive trifecta from hell that could delay a project by decades. I could be totally off base but it's just a theory I have.

Truth is even with the "issues" i perceive above GNR is still my favourite act above all other music and I'd fucking kill to be at these shows. So i apologise if I seemed to be spoiling the party. Just the whole thing with his voice has made me curious for years.

God knows when he's on he's on though, the twat screams in Tokyo 09 alone were enough to make me follow GNR for another decade or two lol....so much love and respect to the band really. And I do envy the chance people have at these club shows to be close to it all!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i think you have it backwards, man.

when axl gets depressed or extra nervous or whatever

it affects his voice as a result.

when he's not confident his voice suffers.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^ True, D.

I thought the vids kicked ass.  And Axl is clearly having fun up there.

Like that Perfect Crime vid from Indiana 91.. one of my fave performances EVER his intensity etc is off the charts... now if u were grading him vocally.. it would be beyond terrible but it doesn't matter, cause the fact he is not going through the motions or changing the key of the song etc. and justputting so much into it just makes any missed note etc irrelevant

plus that style is so difficult to sing anyway..

if u really sit and counted how many notes he missed during a show.. u'd be shocked by the number but I don't sit and pick apart people.. if i wanted it to be perfect I'd listen to the CD....

Board footer