You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Katy Perry

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Yeah right, Eddie has a very unique, very quality voice. I can tell you haven't listened to many Pearl Jam deep cuts.

Now Kurt Cobain, there's a guy with NO voice. Makes Joey Ramone look like Freddie Mercury.

Joey Ramone and Freddie Mercury in the same sentence is amusing, regardless of context. 16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I find the "hype" about the Civil Wars quite amusing to be honest. I've been listening to them for a few years now and to be totally honest they are good. But since Adele says they are the best live act she has ever seen suddenly they are the second coming of music? No way. Yes they are good but they're good in a  Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket kinda way. Great folksy songs but in the long run not very versatile. For an artist(s) to be truly exciting they need to be able to evolve and grow. To be honest I haven't seen anything from the Civil Wars that suggests that. It's kinda like Norah Jones(with more vocal ability). Nice artist but a one trick pony. And don't get me wrong like I said I've been listening to Civil Wars for a few years now so I do like them. It's just they aren't all that just because Adele says so. But they are good.

As for Eddie Vedder's voice it's the salt of the earth type of thing. It's real, it's raw, it's powerful  and it's just amazing. The guy is a legend. Check out his live dvd Water on the Road and in the meantime check this out. When you can move the Boss the way Eddie does here while covering one of Springstein's own songs you've done something pretty special and you've got something pretty special.  Look at Bruce's reaction at the 2:00 mark.
[youtube]CvMFdAtsRTg&feature=related[/youtube]

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I'm not sure if they're a one trick pony yet. It's too early to say since they've only put out one album. If the title track of their album is any indication, they might not be. "Barton Hollow" has a pretty different tempo from the rest of the album. As far as instrumentation is concerned, they might be a one trick pony and I think that is a VERY good thing. Fuck the overproduced aspect of today's music industry. I'm tired of it at this point. Regarding lyrical content, they are definitely one note and they've made fun of themselves for "specializing in sad." So from that standpoint, it will be interesting to see if they do manage to show some evolution in their lyrics as time goes on. If they don't, their debut album will be tough to top for them. But frankly, where they really shine is in live performances. Their chemistry is off the charts.

Probably my favorite GN'R performance ever was their acoustic performance of Don't Cry long before Appetite or UYI had even come out. The audience wasn't even listening to the band. Some dumb bitch was talking the entire time. But the band didn't give a fuck. They sat there and put on a great show for those who were willing to listen. It was just pure talent on display. Same applies with the Civil Wars for me. Simple acoustic instrumentals? Yep. Amazing vocals? Yep. Good songwriting? Yep. Pure talent on display. The mainstream music world needs more of it.

Bono

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I'm not sure if they're a one trick pony yet. It's too early to say since they've only put out one album. If the title track of their album is any indication, they might not be. "Barton Hollow" has a pretty different tempo from the rest of the album. As far as instrumentation is concerned, they might be a one trick pony and I think that is a VERY good thing. Fuck the overproduced aspect of today's music industry. I'm tired of it at this point. Regarding lyrical content, they are definitely one note and they've made fun of themselves for "specializing in sad." So from that standpoint, it will be interesting to see if they do manage to show some evolution in their lyrics as time goes on. If they don't, their debut album will be tough to top for them. But frankly, where they really shine is in live performances. Their chemistry is off the charts.

Probably my favorite GN'R performance ever was their acoustic performance of Don't Cry long before Appetite or UYI had even come out. The audience wasn't even listening to the band. Some dumb bitch was talking the entire time. But the band didn't give a fuck. They sat there and put on a great show for those who were willing to listen. It was just pure talent on display. Same applies with the Civil Wars for me. Simple acoustic instrumentals? Yep. Amazing vocals? Yep. Good songwriting? Yep. Pure talent on display. The mainstream music world needs more of it.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, my concern for them though will be when it comes to evolving rather than producing the ame thing over and over again. There is a way to be genuine and have artistic integrity while still growing in a  more accessable direction. They ARE great for sure but for "real" music to have an impact on the industry I do believe it needs to be molded in a  certain way.  It's like how Radiohead could be an amazing top 40 band if they chose to be but they don't want that and that's fine but I think it's a shame when a  band has the talent to keep their musical integrity yet shys aways from certain sounds because too many people migght lieke it. That's bullshit. Not saying Civil Wars will do that but I wonder if the even have the ability that will allow them the choice. Do you know what I mean?

To be honest I was pretty surprised to hear all the fuss about them after the Grammny's cause I had no idea they'd even caught on with anyone at all. I knew they had this little internet following but had no idea they were set to be a known entity. Pretty cool for sure.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Yeah, their 60 second performance caught my attention more than anyone else. Had absolutely no clue who they were. All I knew was they had an acoustic guitar and were harmonizing their tails off. Then when I started researching them, I realized it wasn't just some lucky one shot deal. All of their live stuff I've seen on YouTube is great. Then the more I researched them, that's when I found out Adele and Taylor Swift had given them a nudge. They would probably be completely obscure right now if that hadn't happened. They have no major label contract and their success has been fueled through word of mouth/YouTube.

I saw this interview where they were talking about how they were literally watching their song "Poison and Wine" upload onto iTunes WHILE it was playing on Grey's Anatomy. They said they were worried it wouldn't be there for people to be able to buy it right after the show was over. That would never happen to a major label artist. But what's cool about it is you know most of the money you pay for their music is going to them and not some corporation. Apple gets 30% and then the indy artist gets the rest. I heard major labels take 88% of the 70%. That's brutal. Even hugely popular acts like Adele and GaGa are getting screwed big time under that industry model.

I also saw an interview where they were asked if they wanted to add more instruments to their sound. They said they are keeping their options open, but they want to make sure the vocal harmonies don't ever get drowned out. That's really what sets them apart from anyone in the mainstream right now, so I think it would be good if they can keep that aspect of their sound intact. The guy has a solo album from 2008 that involved a rock and roll sound, so I don't think they will be limited by ability. I just hope they don't end up drowning their vocals in too much shit, like GaGa and so many others today. Adele is a good example of how to add other sounds in while keeping that amazing voice intact.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

tbh I view them similar to the notoriety Elliot Smith got after Good Will Hunting.  I think Norah Jones was a good analogy for Adele.  To be honest, I don't think she'll have a monsterous ongoing career, nothing personal, I just think she has a unique sound, and had a great song. So did Lisa Loeb & Janis Ian.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

To be honest, I don't think she'll have a monsterous ongoing career, nothing personal, I just think she has a unique sound, and had a great song.

Do you mean Adele or Norah Jones?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Both, hence the analogy on my part.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

yeah yeah Adele is good.  Doesn't make it a Katy who as if she's non existant. By these rights you could say Gaga who? Or Rihanna who? Just because one person is good doesnt' wipe out all the other "arists" to the point they don't matter. Adele's got talent for sure but we'll see what happens on her follow up. Apparently she's said she's taking five years off now to focus on her relationship.  WTF?

Right, Adele is on a different level right now, but Katy Perry is next in line.  She is just on fire right now.  And supposedly her marriage in part fell apart because she didn't want to settle down and have kids and instead wanted to continue her sizzling career.  Which would be the total opposite of Adele, if she really does want to take time off. 

I've said this before, but I HATE most pop music.  For some reason though, I like just about ever Katy Perry song I've heard.  She just does it for me.  It looked like Lady Gaga was the next big thing a few years ago, but now she's got some competition for sure.  In fact, I think she's lagging behind right now.

Bono

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Right, Adele is on a different level right now, but Katy Perry is next in line.  She is just on fire right now.  And supposedly her marriage in part fell apart because she didn't want to settle down and have kids and instead wanted to continue here sizzling career.  Which would be the total opposite of Adele, if she really does want to take time off. 

I've said this before, but I HATE most pop music.  For some reason though, I like just about ever Katy Perry song I've heard.  She just does it for me.  It looked like Lady Gaga was the next big thing a few years ago, but now she's got some competition for sure.  In fact, I think she's lagging behind right now.

Absolutely agree man. For some reaosn I like Katy Perry too. It reminds me of Kelly Clarkson. Something about her music is just a  pop muisc guilty pleasure. And what you said about Lady Gaga actually lagging behind is in fact true. The freakshow that Lady Gaga presents has simply overshadowed what's actually real. Katy Perry is just as popular and has way more room to grow it seems and she's on an upswing. All things Gaga is not right now.

Board footer