You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Nfl Draft - Free Agency

war wrote:

i am sure the colts elected not to trade him a year ago when they decided he was done. whether they would've gotten anything for him or not. they are doing the respectable thing in letting him choose where he goes.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Just saw that too:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd … 35941.html

I predict Washington or Dallas.  They both have the funding & large fanbase to support it, plus are desperate for a lock at QB. If Dan Snyder ever makes one good FA signing, I think this might be it.  The amount of interest generated alone would be worth it. And it's an attempt to make up for all his past f-ups.  Although, not sure Shanahan would want Peyton in his stupid system.

Hard to believe he's being cut, I guess no team wanted the $28 million price tag. Myb they wanted a clause that if he's injured they won't have to pay him, and it's not in there. I think in the NFL you can't cut a player due to injury (hence the Injured Reserve).

I don't see it.  Dallas is pretty much committed to Romo (whose contract runs through 2013) and will spend FA dollars on the secondary or OL.  Cowboys will probably end up with either Finnegan (TEN) or Carr from KC to help the secondary.  They can also dump Terrence Newman and his bloated salary.  They could go after one of the top two G (Nicks or Grubbs) as well.

Washington, they'll be in play but man their fucking offensive personnel is abysmal.  They need multiple OL and have one (older) NFL calibur WR on the roster.  I don't see Manning spending the remaining years of his career there.

Realistic Manning sweepstakes contenders:

Seattle
Arizona
Miami
Kansas City
NY Jets
Washington
San Francisco

If the 49ers wanted to be really bold, they would sign Manning and Mike Wallace from PIT who is a RFA (and require the 49ers 30th pick as compensation). 

I think Seattle or Arizona gets him. 

misterID wrote:

What do you guys think about Whitney Mercilus? Think he could be a top 10 pick? He can play both 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE.

He might be the one of the few guys who could pull off the 3-4 olb and 4-3 de thing.  Nick Perry is too heavy at 270 pounds and Melvin Ingram is too light at 260 lbs and pretty much restricted to a 3-4 olb.  The alleged top DE Quentin Coples can't do it because he is 280+ pounds.  I don't know whether or not Mercilus goes top 10 though.  For the Dolphins, it all depends on what they do at qb in FA, pick up Manning or Flynn and they're free to use the pick on other areas.  No qb in FA they might be forced to trade up for Griffin or take Tannehill at eight.

Speaking of RG3, the Vikings are indirect winners of the RG3/Rams trade situation.  They get Matt Kahlil to drop to them at 3, whenever STL trades the pick.  They get their franchise LT and can use the round 2 pick on the best available CB/WR.

Random thought--all those people predicting Justin Blackmon to the Rams, have they not seen Jeff Fisher's offenses?  He's much more likely to spend money on a WR in FA.

Can't wait for FA to start.  C'mon Bud open up the wallet for Mario Williams!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You stated the Dallas thing perfectly.

49ers have said they're not in the Manning sweepstakes, as they're currently working out a contract with Alex Smith and they really only have so much cap room to re-sign their own FA's and they want to sign a big name WR = Vincent Jackson -- but I'm getting the feeling they might snag Colston from the Saints. They're still really trying to re-sign Carlos Rogers.

The only one I can think of to compete with Manning outside Miami is Arizona. But everyone around the Phins say that Steven Ross is going to do whatever it takes to make it happen. 

Redskins don't have a chance and I think they know they don't. On top of everything slashs'fro said, Kyle Shanahan wants to call all the shots on offense. They're not going to change everything to fit Manning and I don't think they want a vet QB. I still believe The Redskins will get RG III. I think they want him the most and will offer the most to get him.

I see the Browns getting Matt Flynn and keeping their draft picks. I'm betting the Browns pick Justin Blackmon. They were going to draft Julio Jones last year, before Atlanta offered the farm for him.

The Seahawks are the dark horse to get Manning. Why I don't see it happening: the weather and the extensive travel that comes with being in Seattle. Those are actually really important things for a vet QB and one of the reasons he likes South Beach.

And I keep hearing the Dolphins STILL might draft Tannehill even if they get Manning or don't. I like that. I just hope the Seahawks don't trade up to get him.

As we get closer to the draft and teams start signing FA QB's, the Rams #2 pick is getting less and less valuable and the Vikings third is getting more and more valuable. I see the RAMS getting Kalil. Fisher can't pass on a USC player. Plus, LT is a need.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think you're wrong about Dallas, or Jerry Jones is wrong about Romo. One or the other.  It's time to give up on Tony Romo, he's a Matt Hasselback/Trent Dilfer type of QB, just a dime a dozen journeyman. It's been what 6-7 years now & I don't think he's even won one playoff game?? And they didn't get in last year did they (I forget?).  Another year is another year wasted.

I agree the Wash coaching staff thinks they won't need a Manning type QB, but Shanahans just gonna keep digging that franchise into sub-mediocrity with his stubbornness & lack of talent. No RB's, no WR's, no QB's. The teams gonna suck.  Granted Manning would probably look at the talent & not sign there anyway.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

You stated the Dallas thing perfectly.

49ers have said they're not in the Manning sweepstakes, as they're currently working out a contract with Alex Smith and they really only have so much cap room to re-sign their own FA's and they want to sign a big name WR = Vincent Jackson -- but I'm getting the feeling they might snag Colston from the Saints. They're still really trying to re-sign Carlos Rogers.

Vincent Jackson is going to make a lot of money.  I think the Bears sign him.  They basically stated they want a big physical WR who can go get the ball.  I guess Colston qualifies as well but he doesn't really create any yards after catch.  It'll be real interesting where Colston actually ends up because I think he's more a product of the system than a great player.

If the 49ers pay Carlos Rogers close to 8-10 million dollars they will have overpaid.  That front seven made the secondary look a lot better than it actually was.

misterID wrote:

The Seahawks are the dark horse to get Manning. Why I don't see it happening: the weather and the extensive travel that comes with being in Seattle. Those are actually really important things for a vet QB and one of the reasons he likes South Beach.

And I keep hearing the Dolphins STILL might draft Tannehill even if they get Manning or don't. I like that. I just hope the Seahawks don't trade up to get him.

As we get closer to the draft and teams start signing FA QB's, the Rams #2 pick is getting less and less valuable and the Vikings third is getting more and more valuable. I see the RAMS getting Kalil. Fisher can't pass on a USC player. Plus, LT is a need.

I think you actually hit on something that I think might be a dark horse factor in the Manning derby--the weather.  I've read that with his type of neck surgery that the colder weather makes it worse.  If that's the case, I probably downgrade both Seattle and Denver.  The real interesting part is whether or not any team with an established qb (Baltimore for example) would make a run at Manning.

On the Rams and Kahlil, the more I think about it the more I think that they should just stay as 2 as well.  If they move to #6 most of the premiere players will be gone and there is a pretty big gap between Kahlil and the other OT prospects.

Dwight Freeney might get cut from the Colts.  They resigned Mathis and now are spending like 30 million on their starting DE's.  Buyer beware though Freeney last few games on grass have been awful.  He might be a good fit in ATL or SEA as I think they play on turf.

What a great upcoming week for sports in general!  NFL FA starts on the 13th, the NBA trade deadline is on the 15th and the NCAA Tournament starts on the 15th as well.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Isn't Atlanta moving to a 3-4 defense? Even if they play a hybrid I'd go after Mario Williams.

I've thought for a while the one team that should go after Manning:  Tampa Bay. They've got a nice O-Line. Good WR's. A Florida weather. And Trade Freeman for a couple draft picks (probably some two's) and build up that defense.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Keep in mind Peyton will go where he wants to go. Either a big franchise, or a team with solid players around him, possibly he's looking for both.  Teams with little talent around him he won't even consider, since he probably thinks his playing days could be limited. If he's back to great health, I think he can play till his late 30s with a decent offensive line, but if his neck problems give him woes, he's only got another year or two.

Unless I'm missing something & they have good talent, teams like KC & TB are out, not sure who Miami really has, although I think they have Jake Long at LT who's a monster from Michigan, that could help. NYJ have talent but I don't think they're willing to give up on Sanchez just yet, unless they get a decent trade value for him like a good pick or two in return and resign Plaxico.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Cardinals would bea good fit, except that O-Line.

If the Dolphins draft Riley Reiff at right tackle, that would be a fantastic line.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Cut day in Indy:

Melvin Bullitt, Gary Brackett, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and Curtis Painter were all released.

Bullitt should get a lot of play in the FA market.  Under 30 and there is a weak group of safeties.  He did miss 14 games last year with injury though.  Brackett will probably sign with a 4-3 team as a cover 2 LB.  Clark still has some value even if his play has dropped off.

Addai is injured a lot and Painter sort of useless.  They're also open to trading Dwight Freeney.  They should let him negotiate a new contract with the trading club.  He's getting paid 14 million this year.  No team will take him on with that salary.

Brandon Jacobs also got cut today from the Giants.

And in Manning watch.  Today he visited the Broncos.  Tomorrow he will be visiting the Cards.

misterID

misterID wrote:

REDSKINS traded 3 1st rounders to the RAMS for RG3.

I've been saying for a while no one was going to beat Snyder for that pick.

Board footer