You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Nfl Draft - Free Agency

slashsfro wrote:

Like clockwork Daniel Synder throws away draft picks.  They are going to go hog wild in FA now.  I think they have a couple of extra picks this year from trades (4th for Campbell and 5th for Fat Haynesworth).

Cleveland will be really screwed if someone else signs Flynn.  I can't see them taking Tannehill at #4.

Nice bounty for Fisher.  Let's see if he demonstrates better personnel skills in STL than TEN.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

NY Jets extended Sanchez and gave him 27 million in guaranteed cash.  I don't get that one.  They must have needed the cap space BAD.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ That was their way of saying "We're sorry" to Sanchez 16

I fully expect Cleveland to sign Flynn at the start of FA.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

The Wash trade is unbelievable??!  3 1st rd picks!!! and a second.

Honestly I think something behind the scenes was brewing.  I think Shanahan said he doesn't want/need a franchise QB (never seemed to want one in Denver after Elway left), and didn't try hard to get one in Wash (I think Snyder wanted McNabb, not Shanahan). So Dan Snyder said well I'm gonna get him no matter what & if you can't work with him your gone.  This will probably be Shanahans last year there, and he'll probably be forced to start RG3 very early on.  I dunno though, QB's tend to be busts in the NFL and for every Eli there's a Tim Couch & Rick Mirer. This guy is a combine stud but what's that matter in any position let alone QB.  Tom Brady was slow & had a weak arm. How'd that work out??

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120 … img|Sports

Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams wants to sign Peyton Manning

Written by
Jim Wyatt
The Tennessean

Titans owner Bud Adams wants Peyton Manning, and says he is prepared to make a competitive offer to get him.

The issue, of course, is whether the four-time NFL Most Valuable Player wants the Titans.

Adams told The Tennessean on Sunday he has contacted Manning’s agent, Tom Condon, and is pushing for the quarterback to visit the Titans.

“He is the man I want. Period,” Adams said by phone from Houston. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”

Titans General Manager Ruston Webster, Chief Operating Officer Mike Reinfeldt and Coach Mike Munchak could not be reached for comment on Sunday. Indications are they don’t share the owner’s passion to acquire the former University of Tennessee star, but they also understand this is a unique situation involving one of the greatest players of all-time and a living legend in the state.

Last month Webster said the Titans were happy with their current quarterbacks — Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker — when asked if the team might have interest in Manning.

The Colts released Manning on Wednesday and he has since visited two teams. After spending 6 hours with the Broncos in Denver on Friday, he flew to Arizona and met with the Cardinals for 6½ hours on Sunday. Several other teams have also expressed interest in Manning, who reportedly turned down invitations to visit the Seahawks and Chiefs.

Adams, who founded the then-Houston Oilers in 1959, stressed that the chance to acquire Manning is a special opportunity for a franchise yet to win a Super Bowl.

“I hope to be one of the teams he looks at,” the 89-year-old Adams said. “Since he went to school in Tennessee I think Tennessee is where he should be. I think he could play for two or three years. I think he’s the guy that could come in and turn this around for us.

“That’s why I am so anxious to get him to come visit with us and I want him on my team. I could sit down with him and show him what (we’d be willing to pay). If he would come (meet) with me he would be happy with what he’d get.”

It’s unclear what kind of contract Manning is seeking, but the Titans began the offseason around $30 million under the salary cap. The Broncos are about $50 million under the cap.

As for concerns about the 35-year-old Manning’s health — he is recovering from neck procedures and a weakened throwing arm — Adams was unwavering.

“I’m not worried about it,” he said. “We’ll see the doctors but they say it looks like he’ll be able to play.”

Condon could not be reached for comment on Sunday. Adams said the agent told him Manning hadn’t decided if he would visit the Titans.

“He is all for having him come see me,” Adams said. “He just wants to make sure my people in Tennessee want the same thing too — Ruston and Mike and Mike. I am 650 miles away (in Houston), but (they) will do what I say to do because that’s the guy I want and I am going to make the decision. … I think I will be able to work it out myself as far as the money angle goes.”

This isn’t the first time Adams has gotten involved in a quarterback decision.

In 2006, he made it known he wanted the Titans to draft Texas superstar Vince Young, while GM Floyd Reese and Coach Jeff Fisher wanted Southern Cal’s Matt Leinart.

Adams later ordered Young into the lineup when the Titans struggled behind veteran Kerry Collins. The Titans released Young in 2010.

Hasselbeck, who led the Titans to a 9-7 record last season, has two years left on his contract, and Locker, the eighth overall pick last year, was impressive in limited action last season. Attempts to reach the two quarterbacks on Sunday were unsuccessful.

Adams said he’s been satisfied with Hasselbeck and Locker, and acknowledged Locker is the future at the position.

“But I want Manning. I’d love to see him in Titan blue after watching him so many years with the Colts,” Adams said. “I will be upset because if I didn’t get him. I want him. I am ready to do what it takes to get him aboard and I think he’d be the guy to get us into the playoffs.”

Adams also said he would speak to Manning about eventually taking a role in the front office.

“I want him to be with me the rest of his working period of his life, even when he doesn’t want to play anymore,” Adams said. “I want him to come to work for us as long as he lives.”

Can't say I saw this coming AT ALL.  The GM of the Titans stated a few weeks ago that they had no interest in Manning.  I guess someone forgot to tell Bud Adams that.  There is a trainwreck quailty to Bud Adams' ownership of the Titans/Oilers that makes it almost fascinating to observe.  The guy is CHEAP but he is also somewhat insane.  You know all that shit I said about Jeff Fisher a year ago, well I take it back.  The guy might be an overrated coach but as a PR guy/face of franchise who had to deal with Bud on a weekly basis he gets an A from me.  He made the franchise seem normal and stable.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Useful link on cap status of all 32 teams:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 … -march-11/

Teams of note (or teams that GNRevo members cheer for):

Bills:  $30.8 million under.
Titans:  $28.1 million under.
Bears:  $22.6 million under.
49ers:  $21.8 million under.
Patriots:  $16.2 million under.
Ravens:  $14.45 million under.
Dolphins:  $11.8 million under.
Steelers:  $10.5 million under.
Eagles:  $9.6 million under.
Vikings:  $7.9 million under.
Cowboys:  $4.7 million under.
Giants:  $3.8 million over.
Lions:  $11.5 million over.

I could have swore the Vikings had a lot more cash available.  Cowboys can easily gain more room by dumping Terrence Newman.  Lions need to sign Calvin Johnson and bring down his 22 million cap number.

Also Randy Moss is supposed to be working out for the 49ers this week.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I don't think the Titans will get Manning. He's already told the Redskins, Chiefs and Seahawks "no."

And he might still meet with the Dolphins? Wha-wha-what? I'm getting the feeling The Bronco's are going to get him.

If Miami ends up with Matt Flynn I'm following the 49ers again next year. Fuck that shit.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Had Marino played in this era, nobody would have ever touched his records. Manning may be the closest to Marino since Marino. Maybe Aaron Rodgers as well.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think the Titans will get Manning. He's already told the Redskins, Chiefs and Seahawks "no."

I agree, but I think it's because Manning went to University of Tennessee why they  think they have a shot.  That said, the Titans don't have much history there, being that they are the Houston Oilers of about 15 years ago, I don't think the Titans fanbase is that attached or diehard to the town.  My guess is the U of Tenn football team is biggers down there anyway.

I would laugh if Denver signs Manning, trades Tebow, and something goes awfully wrong next year (injury aside).  It's annoying to me how much Elway refused to hop aboard the Tebow chow wagon whereas all their fans were onboard.  Now he wants to trade the guy, hahaha.  He soo thought he was gonna get Andrew Luck & it blew up in his face.

misterID

misterID wrote:

You don't even know how much more popular the Vols are compared to the Titans. Go out on any given day and all you see is orange. It's a rare occasion when you actually see someone wearing anything to do with Titans.

It's funny, I always thought Tebow was in Elway's mind his way of tanking the season and getting Luck.

Tebow needs to go to Jacksonville. It's where is fanbase is the most rabid, and the Jaguars need help in filling that stadium.

I truly, truly hope that Miami drafts Ryan Tannehill.

Board footer