You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: My GN'R Pipe Dream...

Furbush wrote:
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting.

Although the double bang of the UYI's at that time was massive and part of the appeal to many i think - it was just overload of styles and monster songs.

I would have loved to have seen a follow up album that was hybrid 5'Oclock and Chinese though.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Thing is... let's assume that in Magical Fantasy Land Slash becomes best buds with Paul Huge. Axl does a solo album with Pitman, with all the electronic stuff from ChiDem (Madagascar, etc).

We get a follow-up GN'R album with Duff, Huge and Matt and Dizzy, showcasing the It's 5'O Clock Somewhere tracks (with different lyrics, of course) plus the early Huge-written ChiDem stuff (IRS, Catcher, TWAT without the big outro solo and This I Love) and probably Fall To Pieces (original demo version without the killer guitar line) with Axl lyrics. Plus any stuff from Duff's Loaded albums of the late 90s, Sympathy for the Devil and maybe Set Me Free, if the riff had been bouncing around in Matt's head back then.

It then bombs because everyone's listening to grunge/nu-metal and GN'R style rock is "so over."

Fact is, the Great Hiatus between TSI? and ChiDem/Contraband basically took up the period when GN'R was really, really unfashionable. So tbh the band would probably have broken up in the wake of an unsuccessful album anyway.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno man...in an alternate world where Axl and Slash still get on creatively - i think the 5'oclock riffs with Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies, plus the other tracks you mention could have ended up as GNR's best album. I think the pure quality would make up for a drop in fashion.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I also think to an extent fashion in music is dictated by what's around that's good.

UYI didn't go so well because it's fashionable, it went that way because it's an amazing double album.

While bands like nirvana were fashionable to an extent, you could also say that fashion started because they were around and were pretty good.

So with killer GNR albums still coming out...whose to say the big rock era wouldn't have continued longer than it did.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Don't know if I agree with the tracklists, but in hindsight I think it was pretty obvious that for "history's sake" a different rollout of UYI was needed.

However in 1991 the way GN'R did it was VERY legendary and VERY profitable.

But there is the thought that had there been only ONE album, would UYI sold 14 million units for one album, rather than splitting 7 each in the U.S.?

Either way, I always felt there should've been a BIG release one-off LP in 1991 featuring only the best of the rockers with big epics like November Rain, Locomotive, Coma and the original Don't Cry anchoring it. Let it sell. Then in 1992 when they were still in full-blown "rule the world" mode they should've dropped an EP that had a handful of tracks, but mainly the ballads, specifically Breakdown & Estranged, as well as So Fine and the alternate lyrics Don't Cry.

I posted a tracklist on here awhile back, but don't remember what it was. But basically it would showcase UYI the way it should've been with one full GREAT album, and then the big guns left over on an EP. Other tracks like Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, My World, etc. would've been totally shitcanned and left in the vault.

Board footer