You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: New Down Song played

BLS-Pride wrote:

For the few of us Down fans..

The Misfortune Teller

You can hear the vocals better on the first one, and the band sounds better on the second IMO.

Groovy heavy fuckin tune, I dig it.

Better-quality fan-filmed video footage of DOWN performing a brand new song, "The Misfortune Teller", on May 21 at Orange Peel in Asheville, North Carolina can be seen below. Also available is more video footage of the Asheville concert.

DOWN entered the studio last October to begin recording the first in a series of four EPs, to be released over the next few years (with a year between EPs), each touching on a different aspect of the band's sound.

The first six-song EP, which heralds the sound of DOWN going back to its roots, with influences from BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS and WITCHFINDER GENERAL, will be released "late summer," according to guitarist Kirk Windstein. "[It's] kind of a throwback to what we were doing at the very beginning, on the 'Nola' record [DOWN's 1995 debut]," he said. "I think the fans are going to love it."

DOWN frontman Philip Anselmo recently described the band's new EP as "very stripped down. Nothing flashy. Straight to the point… really just DOWN music. If you liked the first record, the demos… something like that… This record, we're pretty dead straight and honest and on the money as far as making it as simple and direct as possible and I think we did that. . . It has that practice-room vibe to it. We didn't really try and fucking slick it out and anything. We went the more raw route, as far as an approach."for yourselves and you guys will be better judges than myself at this point."

The track listing for the effort is as follows (in no particular order):

01. Levitation
02. Witchtripper
03. The Misfortune Teller
04. The Curse Is A Lie
05. Open Coffins
06. This Work Is Timeless

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

BLS... You fuckin' rule, bro... Karma

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Phil nails his scream or as much as left in him at around 1:40 and then after they pick up the song again. You can hear it best on that first one.

I can't wait for this EP. My current favorite active band, has been for years

Another quality vid

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

nice!

phil looks and sounds pretty good

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

A grave mistaaaaaaaaake... Were right back where we started from... big_smile 9

I about fucking time Phil started screaming again...

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

Best audio quality so far....

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … r-20120726

Former Pantera frontman Phil Anselmo's band Down will release a six-song EP, appropriately titled EP ONE, on September 18th. The first single, "Witchtripper," premiered exclusively here, finds a typically aggressive Anselmo vocal against a twisting, grinding musical backdrop.

Anselmo tells Rolling Stone that like the well-known Pantera songs "Fucking Hostile" and "Psycho Holiday," "Witchtripper" was a song title he had to be goaded into. "Somebody would suggest to me, 'Hey, man, that might make a killer song title.' And at the time I'm like, 'You're out of your fucking mind. There's no way I'm gonna call a song 'Witchtripper,'" he says.

But after digging the riff created by Down guitarist Pepper Keenan and drummer Jimmy Bower, Anselmo decided to give them what they wanted. "I was like, 'OK, check this out, you dicks. 'Witchtripper' you want, 'Witchtripper' you will get,'" he says. "I laid it on them, and sure enough, they were right – it worked, as usual. So there goes the genius of Phil Anselmo. Always doubting, and I'm the last one to get it," he adds, laughing.

EP ONE marks the first new music from the band since 2007's Down III: Over the Under. In the meantime Anselmo has kept himself plenty busy, touring, running his Housecore Records label and working on a solo album. As a result, he decided to let the Down music come organically.

"I have not really put too much pressure on myself with Down, and I think that's the best approach," he says. "Right now I'm looking forward to the public's consumption and letting them hear it. I'm not sure if it's gonna break any ground. I never put any expectation on any friggin' record I do," he says. "We didn't overanalyze anything. We just let the songs kind of unfold, and once it felt right, there was no reason to go back."

Going back to the title, EP ONE is apt because the group plans to release four EPs in total, with the second collection of songs due early next year, around the time of a planned U.S. tour. EPs three and four are scheduled for later in 2013. At least that's the plan, but don't hold Anselmo to that.

"The worst thing anyone could do is to count on Down for holding a bargain on timelines," he says. "All I can say is expect it. I'm sure it'll happen, we haven't let you down before."

Anselmo's solo project will kick off with a split single with his Housecore act Warbeast. "I'm gonna put two songs on a split, basically to prompt both of our full-lengths that are coming out later in the year or maybe early, early next year. Maybe that's more the case with my record," he says.

Talking about the solo record, he laughs. "Dude, it's like a nervous-wreck record," he says. "It's very herky-jerky, man. Very extreme, I guess."

Between the solo album and the EPs, there's a lot of new Anselmo music on the way. But his past is being celebrated as well, with reissues, like the recent 20th anniversary edition of Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power. For Anselmo, going back and listening to those songs two decades later has stirred up a lot of emotions.

"I do find myself surprised sometimes," he says. "Sometimes I'll feel, 'God, how pathetically shallow that is?' Or take a song like 'A New Level' – the lyrics are so freaking positive and so strong because I wrote them when I was in my strongest body and my most clear mind at that time, just surging, young and strong as I could possibly be.

"It kind of takes you back, and for a guy like me it's like, 'Jesus Christ, how could I have tripped over so many trip wires and stepped on so many minefields, when it sure sounds like I had it all down when I was 24 years old?'”

WITCHTRPPER:
http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/down.html

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Cant wait to listen when i get home. Im going to see them twice at the end of September.  Here in jersey and the in nyc.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Witchtripper is totally badass. I'm looking forward to this EP.

Board footer