You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: AXL ROSE Falls On Stage At France's HELLFEST

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Yeah.

I mean, I'm all for calling the dude out on things when he's messing up, but to say he's past his prime as a performer just isn't right. The guy gives a far better performance each night than just about anyone else touring today.

I have to disagree. It's more than obvious he's well past his prime. And as for giving better performances than almost anyone else touring these days I would say no. His dance moves and jogging around don't equate to a better performance and vocally he's lost it so much more than many of his peers. Yes he has his moments of greatness still and the band puts on a  great show but Axl's great moments are much much fewer and farther between than they were in his prime. To be honest I don't think Axl even has control of when he has his great moments anymore. I think his vocal talent is beyond his control and it just sorta comes and goes as it pleases.

There's just no way I can buy the argument that Axl Rose is a better performer in 2012 than just about everyone else out there. Like who are we talking about?

I haven't been to many shows lately(U2, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam) but all three of those frontmen put on a  better performance in my opinion. At least vocally. Maybe their style isn't as hard to sing but oh well. They still perform their songs better than Axl does his in my opinion and to be honest in 2012 they comand their audience much more so than Axl does his. Again Axl's dance moves which have become quite geriatric  to be honest don't make him a  better performer than most everyone else touring. Not in 2012.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He defintiely has a lot more good moments than bad, performing wise. There's really only a few songs I'd say he sounds bad on. No reason to hang it up just yet. 16

It's funny, he used to fall all the time during the UYI tour and he hadn't been doing that again until recently.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

it's funny how people have gotten themselves to believe  that Axl can still sing when it's obvious to everyone that his voice is pretty much shot, I just sit and laugh at people  who like to talk about how Axl is better than all of the other singers out there today, give me a break.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

We weren't saying that Axl is better than the other singers that are out there touring right now in the rock world! He helps put on a good show and he got some great band-mates backing him up. Hoping they come back to the U.S. sometimes soon.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Pretty much. The thing is at least Axl puts on three hour shows and makes up for the time that he is late. They are playing the songs I want to hear live and ones that I'm familiar with.  Most bands involving acts as his demographic only put on an hour, less than 2 hour set. There are only some bands that do 2 1/2 to 3 hour sets with a 45 minute opening act with stage set up breaks in between. At least the band members in the current Guns have their shit together and are trying to please the fans every night. Ron does take requests for adding new songs and switching them around every so often. You just got to keep asking him on twitter or facebook. That's exactly how Estranged and Civil War got put in there in the first place. Axl's got to protect his voice and have a balanced set where he can belt out and others where he preserve it and have a laid back tone without putting too much pressure on it on the other songs. DJ, Frank, Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, and Mother Goose give it there all and play the old stuff great and want to bring out new material. Of course I want some change too like the rest of you. It's hard to please every single person.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

it's funny how people have gotten themselves to believe  that Axl can still sing when it's obvious to everyone that his voice is pretty much shot, I just sit and laugh at people  who like to talk about how Axl is better than all of the other singers out there today, give me a break.

I get that's your opinion, and one I obviously do not share.  But, in looking at pages and pages of comments on the GN'R Ticketmaster page, such a blanket generalization is far from the truth.

Ali

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

Pretty much. The thing is at least Axl puts on three hour shows and makes up for the time that he is late. They are playing the songs I want to hear live and ones that I'm familiar with.  Most bands involving acts as his demographic only put on an hour, less than 2 hour set. There are only some bands that do 2 1/2 to 3 hour sets with a 45 minute opening act with stage set up breaks in between. At least the band members in the current Guns have their shit together and are trying to please the fans every night.

I don't get this. This fantasy that Axl and Guns are the only major act giving it their all and performing these long sets is jsut that. Fantasy. U2 consitently play 2.5-3 hour shows, Bruce Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Linkin Park, RHCP, NIN, The Cure etc etc all do. Who are these bands that are continueally talked about that barely play for an hour and a half?  Bands with one or two albums? Certainly not bands within the Guns N' Roses demographic.  Plus these bands don't need to supplement their shows with 4-6 solo numbers to reach the 2.5-3 hour mark. Not to mention all these bands finsih their shows at roughly the time Axl and company take the stage. AND these other bands are also playing the songs their fans want to hear AND switching up the setlist consistently. U2 for example played no less than 22 songs on any one night on the 360 tour and had 53 different songs show up in the setlist over the course of the tour. I would imagine that stat is more impressive with Pearl Jam. You can't say the fans aren't eaving thsoe shows thinking "Gee I'm not sure those guys gave it there all. Wonder what Axl's up to? I hear he really gives it his all for his fans"

To suggest Gn'R in 2012 is doing what other bands simply don't do just isn't true. And late starts are not a legit justification.

Ali wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

I get that's your opinion, and one I obviously do not share.  But, in looking at pages and pages of comments on the GN'R Ticketmaster page, such a blanket generalization is far from the truth.

Ali

Only crazed fans take the time to comment on the ticketmaster page. Be it negative or positive. Anyone who takes time out of their day to comment on ticketmaster pretty much has an agenda one way or the other. To spread the gospel or spread the hate regardless of whether they've seen the band live or not.

Board footer