You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: America's Got Talent Controversy

TheMole wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

No it's not. I get what you're saying, but just because he served is not honorable.

Just because he served, doesn't make him a good, honest person, who served honorably. These guys that lie about being heroes make me want to pick up a gun on them and never put it the fuck down.

They see all of the love and attention they get for being "just National Guard", and then turn around and see the attention of these wounded warriors and special forces guys, so they turn around and embelish their miltary experience more to get MORE sympathy and attention, like a drug.

This. And I'll take it one step further: military personal chose their profession based on their convictions, their qualities and their personality like anyone else. Just like cops, teachers, doctors, politicians, firemen, etcetera. Idolizing them beyond what is reasonable, as seems to be the practice in the US since 9/11, will create this false sense of entitlement and will make people embellish and even flat-out lie about their actions just to keep the myth alive. As you say, there's just as many assholes in the military as there are in any other profession.

Being in the military as such doesn't make you a better person than anyone else. Serving your community honorably, doing the best you can, having a conscious in everything you do: that makes you a good person, regardless of wether you're an army guy, a fireman, a teacher or a local shopkeeper or a friggin' sheepherder for all I care. A soldier with 10 kills behind his name and a love of big guns might have done his job, but a good person he does not necessarily make. For all we know, all he cares about is the fact that he got to shoot 10 people with that gun of his without going to jail.

I don't mean to stigmatize military personel at all, my uncle is a colonel in the air force over here, and I know for a fact that there's a lot of great folks that serve. Actual heroes. It's just not an automatic given, and the profession as such does not necessarily deserve more respect and accolades than any other out there.

If this guy's lie was about saving little Timmy from the bottom of the well, he probably wouldn't have gotten the sympathy vote. He just isn't good enough.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nobody in America wants to get back to the "baby killer"-era of pussy ass draft dodging hippies, spitting on war veterans, attacking them, throwing rocks on them as they returned, because that's how the media manipulated that war. Fellow Americans hated 19-year old post-teens, simply because they were there.

Nobody wants to go back to that pathetic, cowardly, punk ass mentality that many weak ass "I stayed home as an objector" people deserved to go outside and wrap their mouth around a shotgun and have the Cobain Double Cheese.

What's resulted though is a blind faith practice of, "always support the troops, even if you don't support the war". In theory it's a great policy, but blind faith in ANYTHING is foolish.

I believe in God, and I don't even follow him blindly. I highly doubt i'll do better for any human being. Regardless of uniform or profession.

I could put on a uniform, and it doesn't make me a soldier. I could be a soldier, and it doesn't make me a hero. I could be a hero, and it doesn't make me a good person. I could be a good person, and it doesn't make me a hero.

People use and manipulate that blind faith everyday. It's something I cannot stand. Teachers are another, same with the military, firefighters, and cops. I've known FAR MORE assholes in each of those professions (especially teachers), but I try not to paint the whole group as one thing. The same exact logic applies to "good". We can't paint them as all good.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

For the record, I agree with you guys.  I wasn't saying any and every soldier who serves is a "hero" just for doing so.  I was simply saying, this guy probably could've still won some people over for simply serving his country honorably.  He didn't need to lie about what he did or didn't do.  Since he did lie, the backlash has been as expected.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

This has nothing to do with Tim Powe, but here's another great act from AGT this season.

Honestly not sure this qualifies as "talent", but it makes me crack up.  Just saw him in the Vegas show tonight and I laughed even harder the second time around.

Board footer