You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Americans oppose health care law despite supporting it

misterID wrote:

Yes we are. It's the first step. Corporations are coming around because it benefits them. Even the people who want to get rid of Obamacare, don't really want to get rid of it. Just the mandate.

To clarify, we would have a variation of single-payer, that could radically change the face of the health insurance industry. Give people a choice of a public option. Why it would work: It would cover everyone, lower the 2 deaths per hour rate of uninsured people, lower our infant mortality rate, which is one of the highest, lower 45% of all household bankruptcies, make emergency rooms less crowded with more preventive treatment for people, lower business expences on companies, add more jobs in the medical profession, open up immigration reform to bring in more advanced doctors and nurses. It would lower the price of procedures and prescription drugs. 73% of doctors support a public option. And you know, there's the whole moral equasion on top of it. You have people and politicians more worried about a companies profit than the lives of their fellow human beings. In any other circumstance, if a business goes under it's all part of the free market; you have winners and losers.

And I hope republicans keep obstructing. And they'll be voted out very easily very soon.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Wow.  That's an interesting point of view.  Too bad that's not what would happen.  Prices are going up, not down.  Costs are going to skyrocket and we will go bankrupt. Once Joe Public figures that out, bye bye Obamacare and Democrats with it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Not with a public option...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Not with a public option...

So you really think the gov't can profit or even break even on it?  Good luck with that.  They will waste more money than any healthcare company has in the last 100 years.  Incompetence is the only given when the gov't is running something. 

I'm going to trust 200+ years of historical incompetence over the promises of a guy who fails to deliver on most of his promises.

I hope you're right, I'm 99% sure you're wrong.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Absolutely they can. They can do it very easily. If it was run like any other government "controlled" industry, like say the food industry, yes it can.  You have to get the corporate fingers out of the pie. You have this republican congress that just sabotaged the postal industry to make it private for their corporate pimps. They're trying to do the same thing with healthcare. This is one fight they can't win. And they know it.

If you stripped away every issue you have with the government and how it's run, you'll find the fingerprints of big business all over it that's made it that way.

What gives me hope is that many republicans who said they'd repeal Obamacare, say they will keep 95% of it and just want to get rid of the mandate.

I think this was a huge step forward and that's why some corporate politicians are scared. And they should be. I'm telling you right now, the face of healthcare will change.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

You're right.  The post office isn't struggling at all because nobody mails anything any more.  roll

Last time I checked, the gov't doesn't make my chicken that I buy in the store or run the store that I buy it in.  They don't serve the food when I go out to eat.  The bar tender isn't a gov't employee if I stop for a drink.  See, the gov't running things and the gov't monitoring things are completely different.  But along those lines, how many times do we get new warnings about things our gov't said was safe and now isn't?  And you want me to trust them with my healthcare?  It will be interesting to see how quickly cheap drugs go to market without being fully tested now that the gov't had a vested interest in cheap drugs. 

No, this is all bad news, and nothing you've said has even remotely tried to change my mind on that.  I said what's so great about a single payer system and I got back a comment blaming republicans for the post office.  THAT my friend is exactly why I don't believe a word you say about any of this.

Believe me, I know way, way, way more than you do that the face of healthcare is going to change.  I probably know things you could likely only dream of knowing about the industry.  I've known it for years.  It was changing before Obamacare and has been changing in spite of Obamacare.  Many of the provisions have already been adopted and are common place in employer health plans.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I trust my gov't with my healthcare. We're all pretty healthy here compared to you, check the numbers if you want.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

I trust my gov't with my healthcare. We're all pretty healthy here compared to you, check the numbers if you want.

Your gov't probably hasn't proven itself to be completely incompetent.

misterID

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're right.  The post office isn't struggling at all because nobody mails anything any more.  roll

Last time I checked, the gov't doesn't make my chicken that I buy in the store or run the store that I buy it in.  They don't serve the food when I go out to eat.  The bar tender isn't a gov't employee if I stop for a drink.  See, the gov't running things and the gov't monitoring things are completely different.  But along those lines, how many times do we get new warnings about things our gov't said was safe and now isn't?  And you want me to trust them with my healthcare?  It will be interesting to see how quickly cheap drugs go to market without being fully tested now that the gov't had a vested interest in cheap drugs. 

No, this is all bad news, and nothing you've said has even remotely tried to change my mind on that.  I said what's so great about a single payer system and I got back a comment blaming republicans for the post office.  THAT my friend is exactly why I don't believe a word you say about any of this.

Believe me, I know way, way, way more than you do that the face of healthcare is going to change.  I probably know things you could likely only dream of knowing about the industry.  I've known it for years.  It was changing before Obamacare and has been changing in spite of Obamacare.  Many of the provisions have already been adopted and are common place in employer health plans.

No, you're stubborn. I'm not trying to change your mind. The government inspected that chicken you're eating tonight. It negotiated the price you're paying for it so that they can't rip you off for food. The US postal service is the most efficient mail service in the world and has been. They were the first to propose that every address be given an email address too, to make it more efficent and cost effective, decade ago (the GOP said no).

From 2008 to 2010, sales revenue in the mailing industry, which includes private mailers and printing companies, grew by 10 percent to $1.1 trillion and increased jobs by 16 percent. The mailing industry accounts for 7 percent of US GDP. 71% of private mail compnaies still depend on the USPS. Volume has declined, naturally, but people still depend on it.

So, saying no one uses mail anymore is UNTRUE.

Congress inacted the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, requiring the postal service to pre-pay health care benefits not just of current employees, but also employees who'll retire during the next 75 years. That includes employees who aren't even born yet. No other agency and no corporation has to do this. This is strictly to sabotage the agency, bankrupt it, close post offices (that are still needed) so it will all go private. Mail is the ONLY way to send and receive products and that industry is GROWING Buzz. There were news reports the other day how Amazon is going to be competing against Wal-Mart soon, and they're nervous about it.

So no, you don't know what you're talking about here. They want to get rid of it, just like medicare, to put it in the hands of business who are slobbering for it. People still mail stuff, just like people still use pay phones. Sorry, man. These are facts.

I've owned my own business before (I'm getting ready to start a new one). My father owned his own business all my life. I know very, very well what Healthcare does and I know how it needs to change. My father's own health problems, along with my interactions with hospitals and their dealings with insurance companies, I know this: it's going to change. This is a first step.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Your gov't probably hasn't proven itself to be completely incompetent.

Aren't all of them incompetent? You are basically the world leaders in most areas. Where exactly did you go so wrong? You look to be doing alright all things considered.

Board footer