You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: 12 GN'R shows in Las Vegas

Mikkamakka wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

No, it doesn't feel like a victory. It feels like a loss. A great loss.

GN'R were the ultimate band for me back then. I collected everything from them. I was listening albums and bootlegs 24/7. I had like 7 GN'R shirts and everyday I went to the school in one of them. (Well, I had a Led Zeppeli and a Skid row shirt, too.) They inspired me to learn guitar. I learnt all their songs, except a few which I couldn't.
Now it's a meh band for me. Only the past (and Slash's recent solo efforts) keep me here. Cause there is really nothing in Axl's band and post 1996 career to get excited about. And it's a great, great loss, considering how unbelievable great he was in his prime. I thought he could succeed alone, or with new musicians and will continue to make great music. But I was wrong.

For me the album they put out in 2008 that I love, along with the awesome shows I've seen since then and the one I've got coming up in Vegas is all enough for me.

Is it enough for the last 17-19 years for you?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As a fan of all GNR line ups and all side projects I'm not trying to take sides. As Sky Dog said though it "is what it is" - and I know that in 1993 at least in these parts GNR was a huge band along the lines on what U2 and Bon Jovi and so on are today...and for better or worse that's not the case today.

Not to stray off topic here or make it a vs topic but.... Gn'R never played Stadiums on their own in North America. U2 has been a  legit Stadium band in North America since 1988 and still are so.... Gn'R were never as big as U2 are today in terms of tour draw let alone as big as U2 in the 90's. I know people like to think Gn'R was the biggest band in the world and I was one of them but the truth is they were never the draw U2 was. Never. Not even when Gn'R was the "biggest band on the planet"

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That's great.  I'd rather see the new band than U2.

Bono

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's great.  I'd rather see the new band than U2.

Good for you. But if peple are gonna go on and on on this board pretending Gn'R were the draw that a  band like U2 was then I'll simply correct them because it's not a true statement.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

GN'R were the ultimate band for me back then. I collected everything from them. I was listening albums and bootlegs 24/7. I had like 7 GN'R shirts and everyday I went to the school in one of them. (Well, I had a Led Zeppeli and a Skid row shirt, too.) They inspired me to learn guitar. I learnt all their songs, except a few which I couldn't.
Now it's a meh band for me. Only the past (and Slash's recent solo efforts) keep me here. Cause there is really nothing in Axl's band and post 1996 career to get excited about. And it's a great, great loss, considering how unbelievable great he was in his prime. I thought he could succeed alone, or with new musicians and will continue to make great music. But I was wrong.

Here's the problem I have with that rationale.  You enjoy what Slash has done post GNR, correct?  You love what he's done recently right?  You don't like what GNR has done, so be it.  It is, what it is.  You prefer Slash's work.  That's fine.  I don't see any reason to be "upset" that Axl hasn't lived up to your expectations.  Lots of fans enjoyed CD, and what the band has been doing the last 3+ years.  There are also lots of fans who think Slash's solo work has been sub par.  Would I have rather GNR stayed together through the tough times?  Sure.  But it didn't happen.  Slash LEFT the band.  People seem to forget that.  People get all upset at Axl for ruining GNR for them.  He was far from the only one.  Maybe some of your anger should be directed at Slash for leaving the band that you so loved.  OR, maybe you should just accept things as they are.  After all, you've got Slash's solo work to enjoy.  If Axl puts out something you like in the future, all the better. 

And when I say YOU, I'm not necessarily speaking solely to you (Mikka).  As I'm sure there are many who feel the same way you do.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As a fan of all GNR line ups and all side projects I'm not trying to take sides. As Sky Dog said though it "is what it is" - and I know that in 1993 at least in these parts GNR was a huge band along the lines on what U2 and Bon Jovi and so on are today...and for better or worse that's not the case today.

Not to stray off topic here or make it a vs topic but.... Gn'R never played Stadiums on their own in North America. U2 has been a  legit Stadium band in North America since 1988 and still are so.... Gn'R were never as big as U2 are today in terms of tour draw let alone as big as U2 in the 90's. I know people like to think Gn'R was the biggest band in the world and I was one of them but the truth is they were never the draw U2 was. Never. Not even when Gn'R was the "biggest band on the planet"

Monkey was talking about GNR's relevance in Australia compared to U2 and Bon Jovi's.  Not North America. 

My original point for bringing up the fact that GNR used to play stadiums still stands.  It doesn't matter if they co-headlined when doing so.  They were doing it then, and are not now.  Metallica still is, reference the Big 4 shows.  Now of course GNR could team up with a U2 or someone else to play stadiums today, but it hasn't happened to date.  And I wouldn't count on it.

Point being, while I'd love to have been old enough to see them at their height of popularity playing stadiums.  It's a much more intimate feel these days when they play smaller venues.  I don't have to show up hours early to get a place in line.  Tickets are relatively easy to get.  That's all.  Obviously not good signs for their Q rating, but as long as they're able to make money touring, what's the difference?

Bono

Bono wrote:

I don't think I'd like seeing Gn'R in a stadium. Arenas are ideal but now theatres seem to be the logical venue. I've seen U2 16 times. 9 of those times being in a stadium and 7 in an arena. they are more fit for stadiums. However I'd kill to see U2 playing smallish venues the way Gn'R has been lately.  And again it all boils down to attendance. If the venue is packed it always makes for a better vibe in my opinion regradless of size. I saw Soul Asylum in 1993 in front of 200 people. One of the best shows I've ever been to so.....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Agree. My favorite shows were in theaters. There's just no comparison. Got to see Pearl Jam do a show at the House Of Blues in Orlando. So awesome. Just doesn't even compare.

Mikkamakka wrote:

That's life.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Actually afterlooking it up bono is right that U2 was always bigger here...however GNR was a serious act well above normal acts. Let me put it like this:

1993 in Melbourne:

U2 plays 2 shows at a 100,000 seater cricket ground for Zoo Tv.

GNR plays 1 show at a raceground of around 75-80k for UYI.

Metallica plays 2 shows at a 15,000 seater for the black album.

Bon Jovi had played in 87 - 6 shows at a 7,000 seat venue.

So yeah, u2 was a bigger act - the sound is more crossover I'd hazard to guess...but at least over here GNR was a significantly bigger draw than Jovi or Metallica or some of the other acts that are now massive.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Something Mikka touched on.

Axl had such talent and fire in the old days that regardless of one's feelings about preferred line ups - it's curious he withdrew so far out of the game.

That is...GNR did 4 albums in a few years.....then since then Slash has done 6....you'd expect Axl would have made 2 or 3 albums too...then the debate would guys like Russ who would like Axl album 3 more than Slash album 4 and talk like that.....

I'm glad he did put out CD, and of course he doesn't owe us and all that, but i do find it surprising how little he has released, considering the drive he seemed to have as a yonger man, and even in early CD era interviews. It shows what a struggle things must be for him I think.

Board footer