You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Alice Cooper

Welcome 2 My Nightmare-Alice Cooper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_2_My_Nightmare

I may be quite late to this thread; but I decided to go here to post my thoughts on the recent Alice record since I got it a couple weeks ago at a good price. I was going to get it earlier; but I was looking at other music investments at the time. Man...does this album rock! Most of the album is really fun to listen to and tries some new things without those additions over-welcoming themselves. I was really confused with KeSha being on a track; but she actually works with Cooper quite well with the whole back and forth. The different styles and music shifts has great appeal to me; so it doesn't sound repetitive; but it has the music fans of the master of shock rock will love. It has some tunes to appeal new fans as well. Love the guest appearances with some of the members of the original Alice Cooper band. I'll Bite Your Face Off is obviously the best song on the album due to its mid 60s, early 70s like rock tone that reeks of early Stones. There are sounds of industrial rock which Alice has worked with a ton over the years, cool guitar solos, and the mighty Bob Ezrin's production. There also some dark realistic themes that appear in some songs with gives it more depth; but if you want some good rock for a party, then by all means. A few ballads, heavy numbers, and songs that represent another nightmare for Alice in a nutshell. Don't expect anything revolutionary or bombastic in terms of this album; but for the most part it's a great listen.

Right now I have this album, a 3 pack of Hey Stoopid, Trash, and The Last Temptation, and tracks off an old Greatest Hits I got off a torrent a few years ago. I'm looking into a few other albums of his work such as Along Came A Spider, Eyes of Alice Cooper, and a few others. If any of you guys liked Welcome 2 or want to give me any suggestions, or just want to chat about his work, go for it!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Despite my undying love for Alice, I was one of those guys that never really got the whole album experience with him.

Years and years ago, I purchased that FAT "Life & Crimes of Alice Cooper" collection that was a mega 4-disc anthology that spanned like 1971-1999.

I became aware of Alice and a fan because of his work on the Friday The 13th Part VI soundtrack. So I was introduced to Constrictor and his 80's comeback.

Even though his big singles are better during that period, honestly the bulk of his 70's stuff is really where it's at. White Zombie meets the Rolling Stones is about all I can describe it as. The way Alice was able to be topical and satirical, using rock the fuck out was brilliant. Billion Dollar Babies immediately comes to mind.

I honestly haven't listened to much of his most recent work, outside of the Slash guest appearences. I really need to.

Me_Wise_Magic

They had a copy of Welcome to My Nightmare ('75) on CD for only $4 in a Walmart bargain bin; so the next time I come back there, I may take it home with me if looks in good condition. While I do some other music shopping and a few video game purchases that are in my price range. I was introduced to the man's music through classic rock radio, searching around the internet, and TV. I am a fan of the song, Vengeance is Mine that Slash plays on! Great shredding on that song. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Axlin. I can see that alot of Alice's albums can be hit or miss to alot of fans or casual listeners. It really depends on what you are into. Everyone has their own tastes in rock and other types of music. The industry would be fucking boring, if everybody liked the same thing. I usually use Spotify or other sites to look through and listen to some of his recent or earlier work before I decide to invest in an album or just buy a few songs from it. I like the comparison of the Stones and White Zombie. Makes sense!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Exactly. Like for me, to be all weird. My favorite song of his is Poison. A ultra-casual fan choice.

Yet after that one-off, every other song would be classic Alice choices like The Ballad of Dwight Frye (love that tune), Billion Dollar Babies, Elected, etc.

Me_Wise_Magic

Good choices. I do love Poison, it's one of his best and more popular songs. No doubt. Billion Dollar Babies and Elected are classic tunes from his greater body of work!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic

I believe they are on his first Greatest Hits that came out before Welcome to My Nightmare. You can find that online or rarely in stores. Also they have a huge compilation of most of late 60s to mid 80s hits called Monsters & Massacre. I looked in the stores the other day and when I did see the Monsters one it was pretty cheap for alot of songs. I got 20 CCR songs on sale for $5 on CD. That's cool Russ!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The old school greatest hits that had all the 70's stuff on it. I love 18.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That's why I loved that "Life & Crimes of Alice Cooper" collection so much. To have four discs, 1-3 which pretty much spanned everything from the late 60's to the mid-80's, and nothing later, you basically can mix and match your own personal mix CD's of his absolute best stuff. Be My Lover & Under My Wheels (original and Axl/Izzy version were both on it).

I'm Eighteen, School's Out, total classic stuff right there. Still holds up. I actually was always a bigger fan of the live version of School's Out that they turned into a video. Don't remember what year it was from, I thought 1973, it just oozes everything from The Who, to The Doors, to Iggy & The Stooges. Classic rock as it's best.

Me_Wise_Magic

Axlin12 wrote:

That's why I loved that "Life & Crimes of Alice Cooper" collection so much. To have four discs, 1-3 which pretty much spanned everything from the late 60's to the mid-80's, and nothing later, you basically can mix and match your own personal mix CD's of his absolute best stuff. Be My Lover & Under My Wheels (original and Axl/Izzy version were both on it).

I'm Eighteen, School's Out, total classic stuff right there. Still holds up. I actually was always a bigger fan of the live version of School's Out that they turned into a video. Don't remember what year it was from, I thought 1973, it just oozes everything from The Who, to The Doors, to Iggy & The Stooges. Classic rock as it's best.

Cant' argue with that. Definitely money worth spent for good rock!

Board footer