You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs Led Zeppelin

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Bought that zeppelin thank you greatest package and can't sit through it.

Plant annoys me.

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 54%
Led Zeppelin 46%
Total votes: 24
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Robert's voice actually aged better than Axl's, too.

Who cares. Again why do people make it so technical and complicated? I can guarantee you the poll isn't asking who's better between today's Guns and today's Zeppelin because nobody cares. Certainly nobody cares about "nuGn'R" in regards to these types of polls and debates. It's clearly about who was better  or who you liked better when they were relevant and actually producing albums.

If we are in fact talking about the geriatric versions of the bands well then hate to say it most peopel's voices have aged better than Axl's.

Technical and complicated? It was a general comment that had nothing to do with this poll. Calm down, dude.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was thinking the other day...I wonder the extent to which the gnr saga has left a bitter taste in our minds and made us forget how truly insanely great the original band was and the sheer force they were around 1990 or whatever.

You know...like it's hard not to think about the wait for new music from Axl, the saga of musicians that left, the way VR formed and then neutered Slash then melted down, the RRHOF debacle, the times Axl hasn't sounded right live at times, the way you hear so many amazing slash riffs with substandard vocals around - like some of his guest spots and some of the snakepit era stuff.

We've kind of got used to being disappointed or frustrated or things being wasted opportunities.

But now and then you see a boot of the original band feeding off each other before all the hatred, you think about the short period of times those albums came out it, you remember the sheer vibe of the shows you went to - and you realise at one stage this really one was of the absolute best rock acts of all time.

Zep is a great band....and maybe I'm just a fanboy...but something about the mojo of Axl and Slash together in their youth, and hell Duff and Izzy....it blew anyone off the stage IMO.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Zep is a great band....and maybe I'm just a fanboy...but something about the mojo of Axl and Slash together in their youth, and hell Duff and Izzy....it blew anyone off the stage IMO.

Yeah, you're just a fanboy. tongue

GN'R were one of the greats, no doubt. Zep is a little bit above and beyond that though. And one thing you have to admire about Zep is that they respected each other's importance to the music. They didn't continue touring without Bonzo after he died because they knew he was incredibly important. GN'R tossed Adler aside and then even tossed Izzy aside as if it didn't mean anything.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

or it's possible you guys are just Zep fanboys wink

I do see what you mean about continuing on with new members though. Although it's worth thinking that while I love Steve...songs like Coma, Estranged, November Rain were amazing without him, and even Izzy wasn't used on Locomotive....

I think it comes down to what the key parts of your sound are, like the drums were very fundamental to Zep, one of the primary features that made them stand out, and while the drumming in GNR is great...it's mostly the interaction between the vocals and the guitars that was the unique world class part.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

or it's possible you guys are just Zep fanboys wink

Nah, music historians would agree with my position on it. I do think GN'R deserves serious consideration for best American rock band ever.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but that's like when film students vote the 1925 silent film Battleship Potemkin the best movie of all time.

Or like the acceptance that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist who ever lived.

It's like as a society it becomes politically correct to like certain acts more regardless of what happens after them.

To me there's a distinction between innovation and best.

Battleship Potemkin was innovational for it's use of editing, but it doesn't hold up against a movie with modern techniques.

Led Zep is a great band, but bands like GNR absorbed what they did and continued it to a new level.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Led Zep is a great band, but bands like GNR absorbed what they did and continued it to a new level.

I disagree. Zeppelin was better at every single instrument. Better vocals, better guitar work (by a single guy instead of TWO guys), better bass, far better keyboards, and far better drumming.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I disagree. Zeppelin was better at every single instrument. Better vocals, better guitar work (by a single guy instead of TWO guys), better bass, far better keyboards, and far better drumming.

Agreed! big_smile

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Its like these people who regurgitate that Casablanca or Citizen Kane are the greatest movies of all time.......................

Sure

Just cause its been repeated doesn't make it so.

U know why I say Slash is better than Hendrix Page etc?

Cause no matter what Hendrix and Page did on an electric guitar it was groundbreaking cause it had never been done before etc.

Slash to create the amazing all time great material WITHOUT ripping off anything and creating new riffs, solos etc is fucking unreal.

How hard is it to be original when u have the entire musical landscape open to u??

Board footer