You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Re: Kelly Clarkson rips Clive Davis a new one

Stacey wrote:

Kelly Clarkson's Letter to Clive Davis
http://www.whosay.com/kellyclarkson/con … de=GLO5cY7

February 19, 2013
Hey y'all,

So I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music. I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don't have to cower to anyone - even Clive Davis.

First, he says I burst into "hysterical sobbing" in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.

But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called "Because Of You." I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a "sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me." He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with.
But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn't include that in the book.

He also goes on to say My December wasn't successful because I co-penned the album and it didn't have "pop hits". Well, first let me say, I've co-penned many of my "pop hits." Secondly, My December went platinum (It sold 20,000 less than All I Ever Wanted which followed My December.) Hardly a huge failure. Never Again, the ONLY single they released in the US from that record was a Top 10 hit. I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank. But, again, what's most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn't mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. It never had a chance to reach it's full potential. My December was an album I needed to make for myself for many reasons and the fact that I was so completely disregarded and disrespected was so disheartening, there really aren't words to explain….

Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans. I love my label and all of my professional relationships… now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference.

Cheers to another amazing year! And, as always, thanks for listening!

KC

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I was just coming here to post this...turns out you beat me to it!

All I can say is "GOOD FOR HER!" She's someone I've always rooted for and I'm glad she's standing up for herself.

Exactly. It's not often artists like Kelly make direct comments when they're mistreated or misrepresented, and this definitely opens the door for people like her to stand up for themselves.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I saw it on FB.  Not the biggest fan of hers, but she's got some solid songs out there.  The bigger thing is standing up for herself...I'm sure she's not the only one to be bullied.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Kelly Clarkson is one of the bright spots in pop music. Once she ditched the lame R&B influence of her first album(I'm pretty sure the style and direction of that album was absolutely forced on her as the American Idol winner) she's been pretty good. Lots of catchy pop rock singles. Since U Been Gone, Never Again, My Life Would Suck Without You, Stronger, Catch My Breath, Behind these Hazel Eyes, I Do Not Hook Up, Dark Side, etc etc etc. The reason she's still successful today more than 10 years after she won American Idol IS because she has pushed for a specific direction in her music. Yes she owes a lot to the industry but had she not fought to get her way they'd have burried her as just another mundane, boring pop star who won a talent contest at one point. She'd have been long forgotten by now if Clive Davis had is way when it comes to the music. I mean what kind of idiot would turn down the song Because of You and say it does't rhyme. Because of You is a GREAT pop song that actually had a lot of depth and substance to it.

Kelly Clarkson is probably my #1 guilty pleasure when it comes to pop music these days. Her and Pink. I'm glad she stood up for herself and said what's on her mind. I think more of the higher ups in the industry should be put in their place and told to STFU when it comes to the music. They clearly don't know as much as the think they do. 

I think she's gonna be around for a long time still and the older she gets the more control she'll have of her own music so.... Clive can either get on board or fuck off 16

Here's the song that doesn't rhyme and is proof Kelly is shitty writer roll

Couple more samples for those who may not be familiar with her music

And why not a live one from the Troubadour 16

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I guess it depends on who the "witnesses" are as to whether this sways my opinion at all.  Clive is a powerful person in the industry and not everybody is going to tell him he's wrong even if he is.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've always liked Kelly Clarkson, and am proud to say she was my first AND LAST vote on American Idol. Never even watched the show after her, because thankfully she made it out, but Idol is an embarassing commercial for Ford and Coke.

Clarkson however is an absolutely inspiration female in my eyes. I NEVER throw that phrase around, but I have always had the major hots for her for all the right reasons. She fights for her opinion, without losing class. She fights for her music and her say, despite being an amateur when she started who had literally music producer God's trying to bury her -- Kelly won. She has fought off gay rumors for years simply because she's an old fashioned girl who wanted love before all else and meant it and stuck by it, regardless of how much she was slammed for it.

I remember those years, and I wasn't even that big of a fan. Kelly was harrassed relentlessly, and seemed to stay strong, not lose her beliefs in life & music & business, she stayed HER.

And I was always inspired by that. If more women were like her, not only would the music industry landscape be entirely different, but maybe women in general.

Good for her, best to her, and she can't say this, but I can -- kick his mother fuckin' racist ass.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer