You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ummm....

Axl writes the ballads, like Novermber Rain, Slash adds the emotional solos.

Slash writes the guitar songs like Civil War, Axl adds the killer vocals.

So...surprise....when they work separately....Axl doesn't have rockers on the level of Slash's rockers, and Slash doesn't have ballads on the level of Axl's ballads....

I seriously can't believe anyone doubts this? You think "By the Sword" wouldn't be better with Axl's words too? Come on....they're two sides of the same coin.

Dude, I'm not talking abut 1991 and November Rain, monkey, I'm talking about 2013. Both guys have changed musically. Yes, they could work together, but would they mesh well together now, also, a big point you're not getting, is that no matter how good Slash could play on a CD song, would it be better than what's there now? I don't think so.

I listened to some Slash songs and this is what I've come up with:

I think Slash's guitar work and solo on Crucify The Dead (not the overall song) "could" work on IRS.

I think his guitar riffs, effects and solo on Vengance Is Mine could work on Chinese Democracy.

I think his solo on Mother Maria (I really dig that song) and some "I Hold On" guitar work could work on Catcher.

Would they be better... I don't think so, but I think it would work in their own way.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

But the question is would he have come up with something like those other songs for the songs you're referring to?  I just don't understand how someone can claim to like his pre 1993 work and proceed to say he's incapable of doing something as good or better today when paired with the person he created that magic with.  Thinking it's unlikely?  Okay.  You're pretty much saying it's not possible, and as messed up as CD is as a guitar album, I'd say whatever he did in most cases is clearly going to be better than what ended up on the album.  I think it's impossible not to be outside of TWaT.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm going on what I'm hearing from him today, buzz. Perhaps Axl would inspire something truly amazing, maybe he wouldn't. I simply haven't heard anything from Slash recently that makes me picture him making a better solo on CD than what's there. That doesn't read how I mean it... Meaning, the styles are completely different and I don't think Slash meshes well with that style of music, on top of I think the solos that are there can't be topped for those specific songs. That's just my personal opinion.

That's not saying Slash is a bad player, or his playing sucks today, or anything like it. I deifinitely don't mean it that way.  Listening to those songs, I really like what I hear on his playing. I just don't see him elevating these songs on CD as they just don't fit what he does. Again, these guys aren't making music like they did back then when they were making magic. That's where I'm coming from.

I think he could do something special on TIL, because that fits what he can do as it's a basic play along with the piano. The other songs on CD aren't.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

What guitar work on CD is so unique? Its mostly average to my ears with some shred stuck in. I don't get the love for the Maddy solo, a load of half arsed bends and nothing more.
Where is the magic?

How you can say that the guy who wrote & played the guitar on "Estranged", "The Garden", "Don't Damn me" or the end of "November Rain" would be somehow unable to deliver anything worthwhile on wide open spaces like TWAT or Maddy is frankly beyond me. Those songs are really not that revolutionary compared to Axl's old stuff.

Slash becaome a global guitar icon for his work on AFD and UYI albums, the guitar work on CD hardly raised an eyebrow. I think youre putting too much of a personal look at this.

The fact that the rumor mill suggests that Axl wanted Slash on CD tells me that even Axl believed that Slash was best placed to deliver his vision.

Great musicians can generally apply themselves to all styles of music, its what makes them great. I don't see how Slash would be any different.

Only one thing is missing for Slash now and that's Axl's muse, but his standard of delivery is  better than ever.

misterID

misterID wrote:

You're answering your own question, he doesn't fit the music. It doesn't matter if you don't like the music, or don't think it's special or unique, or magical, the music on CD fits the musicans who created that music the best, IMO.

Your entire post is about your personal feelings bigger than the subject; just take a look at your posts in this thread.

I can say that because there is nothing on CD save a couple songs that sound anything like what Slash worked on in GN'R. I think he would fit The Blues, Catcher and definitily TIL, which was probably written with him in mind, considering when it was written. I just think the current solos fit the songs perfectly.

Maybe Slash would surprise me on CD, an album that seems to be everything he wouldn't want to work on, but who knows. I just don't see it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Based on how it turned out, I'd say he would have been as right as Axl was about the Snakepit stuff.

The music would be different if he was playing it; that's the point you seem to be ignoring.  Look at his first solo album (regardless of what you think of the quality of the songs)...each song sounded like a song by that singer's band with a Slash solo on it.  The songs would be different, and as jumbled as they ended up on the album I can't see any way they couldn't be better.  There would be no Shackler's (thank God...the only absolutely horrible song on the album) - there would be more of a Slither or Just Sixteen type song instead.  There would be no Better.  There would be songs in their place that fit Slash better, and as a result it would be an overall better album.  The epics would still be there with Slash on them.  That's it.  You're making it out to be way more than it is because you personally like the album.  You can't criticize intercourse for being blinded by his personal feelings without recognizing how yours have clouded your views on the subject.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Okay, I think we're talking about two different things. If Slash was involved in another album, yes, it would be completely different. Most if not all of the songs on CD would not exist.

I'm talking about Slash playing on the EXISTING CD songs...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The argument that he doesn't fit is very circular though.

"The songs would not be better with Slash."
Why?
"Because they don't sound like Slash"
Why?
"Because he didn't play on them"

Meanwhile...most of Chinese Democracy if you approach it with just the drums, bass, synth and vox and no guitar parts....would be completely within slash's style...once he added his solos and rhythm styles to There Was A Time, Street of Dreams, Prostitute, Madagascar, If the World, Sorry, Catcher in the Rye, This I love.....they would IMMEDIATELY sound like UYI era songs just with a few more effects and synth. A couple of the other songs like Shacker's would be pretty different I'll grant but those could have evolved into the rockers, or my world style Axl tracks...but mostly Chinese just sounds like Axl's half of UYI3....without Izzy and Slash.

misterID wrote:

Dude, I'm not talking abut 1991 and November Rain, monkey, I'm talking about 2013. Both guys have changed musically.

I think they've both evolved to be better at the style they always did rather than having "changed" in the sense of doing something different.

Axl was always the guy to do the ballads, and he was always the one wanting to put synth and effects layers in, and he was always adding complex words and hard to sing parts.

Still does it.

I think moments on Chinese are Axl's finest....Catcher has literally amazing lyrics to me...and There was a Time is my favourite vocal performance.

Slash is the same...he's not playing in a new style that no longer goes with Axl's voice....he's doing what he always did...except he's got better at it. Just as Chinese sounds like UYI ballads without Slash....often Slash songs sound like UYI rockers or Lies accoustic numbers without the others....By the Sword could go on Lies with Axl......Anastasia would be like a Double Talking Jive type song....even the more generic rock ones would just turn into stuff like Shotgun Blues, Perfect Crime, Right Next Door to Hell....

We have 5 kickass albums to show that their creative abilities mesh well together....and there's nothing that's been done since to say it wouldn't again if the personal shit could be resolved...everything done separately just sounds like each guy bringing what he brought to GNR to a new band....the fact that it doesn't sound like full GNR is just because it's not....but it COULD.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I like how the argument here is that since Slash didn't help create the music on CD he's not the right fit for it and wouldn't be abe to improve on what's there yet the same people who are saying this also believe that Robin has performed some of the all time greatest guitar solos better then the guy who created them. That being Slash's solos, solos Robin had no hand in creating. So Robin can play and interpret those songs and solos which he had no hand in creating better than the guy who created them while the idea of Slash creating something worthy or even better than what already exists on CD is blasphemy?

Riiiiiiiiiiight roll

Board footer