You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Ron says 'Just Forget About A New Record Until It Happens'

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think so. I think there was only like two recording sessions, that I know of, where GN'R -- the band -- sat down and wrote actual music, for Axl to put lyrics over. I think most of Chinese was in the bag by like 2000, wasn' it? The rest was just a song here and there, like Bucket & Brain's Shackler's Revenge, or Robin's Better.

I still don't get Axl's comments about wanting more collaboration in the past, yet he doesn't like songs dumped on him. They directly counter each other. If you believe DJ, which I know most people don't and even I struggle, he handed Axl several songs fairly early in Guns, plus you count his solos... and... nothing. I know people bag on DJ, but surely SOMETHING could be done with Ballad of Death, if Axl never recorded another song for the rest of his life.

Axl is in no way a true musician. I'm sure he hears melodies and chorus and lyrics in his head, but if he's truely sitting around, waiting for a song to come up in his head that he can completely structure himself from scratch, like Estranged on the piano years ago... man... we're never getting another ounce of music. Plus what becomes of the rockers? We all know Axl can do ballads, but just because he doesn't have a ballad in him, doesn't mean the band might not have a rocker in them that he could splash some synth melody on the in chorus and throw lyrics down.

I just get sick of everyone acting like Axl's some musical genius in hibernation, for a job that most artist's can get done in weeks. I don't see why someone could not give Axl a FULL YEAR OFF to record, and why he wouldn't have 12 tracks that were 90% complete by the end of December. Is that really THAT unreasonable?

Jesus Christ, call someone. If you think your band sucks, call Slash, see if he wants to collab. He seems to work WITH EVERYONE. Why not you? Where's Izzy? As always. What about some other rock breathern? Call Jerry Cantrell, some of the Korn boys, Zakk Wylde, Duff... whoever Axl has the number of. I'm sure Chris Cornell could spare a few minutes and a weekend to patch things up and see what happens.

It's not impossible... it requires WORKMANSHIP. Guess what Axl's lacking? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I think that Axl IS a true musical genius in hibernation, AND that he lacks workmanship. Don't see how the two contradict each other.

The scary thought for me is if he never comes out of hibernation.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think he's THAT much of a genius. Remember, Chinese Democracy was supposed to be his Picaso to the world of rock, and although good, critically praised, and loved by post-1993 GN'R fans.... magnum opus it wasn't.

Chinese was supposed to be it. The big deal, and um if that was his ace... no... he's not THAT much of a musical genius. I'll give him credit though, what he does, he's the best at it. The fact he was even able to do sequels to November Rain & Estranged (This I Love & TWAT) and have them be almost as good, is a true testament to his talent.

But this "genius takes time thing" is a creation of fanboys. Star Wars fans used to say the same thing about George Lucas.... and then they got Episodes I & II.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Agree with you on the "genius takes time" being bullshit. I'd never make that argument with him, for sure. I'd be ok if it took a little longer, but not 14 years long.

I also think CD could have been a magnum opus, and despite still being awesome (IMO), it was lessened by tinkering and listless direction. The tracks we got weren't necessarily the tracks that would have been on CD 1999, 2002, or 2006. Ultimately, if he had gotten it out 6-8 years earlier, and given us the 2-4 albums worth that were thrown around over the years, I think it easily could have been another UYI set, but taken in a new direction. A new direction that would have still befitted its time back then.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Maybe we should all forget about GNR until a new record happens!

smoke

smoke wrote:

Nah.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Believe me, I tried it.  My interest really dwindled after the CD release, and after what I held as the most anticipated album I wanted to hear just started to grate me after several listens.

Then when DJ joined, and Robin was out, I was so wanting to turn away and not have any interest, it just started to seem so fragmented. I wanted to not spend my time here, not follow the setlists etc, forget GnR, it was over for me. Done.  So I took a few weeks away from reading the forum, or checking news items.

Then comes the Eddie Trunk interview, wow, good/bad/annoying, then Rio with the raincoat, oh it was so bad, then Kimmel It's the soap opera effect.

So I tried, but I'm still here reading. Its an addiction I cant seem to shake...dammit!   Arrgh....

Where's my stick? I need to go hit myself with it again. I'll be back later just to see if there is anymore news.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Ha! So true. It's an addiction I'll never get over.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno.

I'm not saying everything is Axl's fault...I'm just saying people rushing to bash ron for saying publicly he wants to write should probably consider the lack of realistic alternatives open to Ron.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Believe me, I tried it.  My interest really dwindled after the CD release, and after what I held as the most anticipated album I wanted to hear just started to grate me after several listens.

Then when DJ joined, and Robin was out, I was so wanting to turn away and not have any interest, it just started to seem so fragmented. I wanted to not spend my time here, not follow the setlists etc, forget GnR, it was over for me. Done.  So I took a few weeks away from reading the forum, or checking news items.

Then comes the Eddie Trunk interview, wow, good/bad/annoying, then Rio with the raincoat, oh it was so bad, then Kimmel It's the soap opera effect.

So I tried, but I'm still here reading. Its an addiction I cant seem to shake...dammit!   Arrgh....

Where's my stick? I need to go hit myself with it again. I'll be back later just to see if there is anymore news.

So, what you're saying is you have a bad obsession? 16

Board footer